INT: fit a 5th gen prelude cluster into a cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: fit a 5th gen prelude cluster into a cb7

This diy is to show you a "new" way to install the bb6 cluster into your cb.
    Refer to this DIY thread if you want to do the wiring.http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=107844

Tools needed...

1. A dremel kit with
    sanding drum, cutoff wheel, 60grit sanding band, drill bit
    2.Silicone (rtv) or electrical tape
    4.Goggles
    3.Patience

DISCLAIMER: The fact that it worked for me does not guarantee that it will work for you, be very careful when handling the cluster or the bezel as they are very fragile. Take your time when doing this as it could backfire on you in the end.

Start by placing the cluster behind the bezel, try to locate the points that hit the backing of the bezel, you will notice that the top, bottom left and bottom right hit the front face of the cluster.

Step 1:
    You can start by sanding the top part of the bezel using the dremel with the sanding band, sand from left to right and vise versa, do not apply too much pressure, stop until you are close to the holes in the bezel. test the cluster until the top portion is almost flush with the bezel

Step 2:
    Once you have test fitted the cluster, look closely to the left side of the bezel, you will sand only a little bit off, just enough so that the curvature of the cluster sits flush with the bezel

Step 3:
    Follow the same steps as STEP2 for the right side of the bezel

Now that we got the bezel out of the way, we will move on to the car. Test the cluster inside your dash, you will notice that a lot of the top portion of the cluster is in the way.

Step 4:
    Sand the top portion of the cluster, note that you will loose the tabs that are on top do not worry as we will cover this in the end. Also note that part of the plastic has been sanded off, do not do this yet.

Step 5:
    Cut out the plastic plate that covers and protects the cluster using the cutoff wheel, be very careful not to cut the air vent that is right behind the cover.

Test fit the cluster inside the dash along with bezel, you will notice that the cluster sinks in and does not allow the bezel to properly secure the top of the face of the cluster.

Step 6:
    using the leftover plate that was removed from step 5, create these "spacers"(make holes using the drill bit) make 2 for each side, this prevents the cluster from sinking in. It is by no means secured to the cluster only to the dash.

There are 3 bottom tabs that hold the cluster clear cover, when you try it inside the dash, the tabs "lift up" the cluster just enough to prevent the bezel to be screwed from the top.

Step 7:
    inside the dash you will need to fit the cluster and mark where you will make 3 holes for the tabs, this will be just enough for cluster to sit flush in the bottom.

step 8:

Test the cluster and mark 2 squares or circles on the top face of the cluster, this needs to be done so that the bezel can be secured from top and hold the cluster secured as well.

Test fit the cluster and make minor adjustments if desired until you are satisfied with the fitments.

Step 9:
    properly seal the top of the cluster with either silicone or tape(discourage) just so that no dust gets inside.

Step 10:
    Plug and install the cluster along with the bezel. Enjoy your new bb6 cluster.
    Last edited by illestatus; 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM.

here are some pictures of the final product

Comment

Holy crap that's clean!! Very nice work!

Members Ride Thread: LX ~ EX ~ For Sale Thread

Sold to: accord=inspire? ~ Accord214 ~ Raf99 ~ daheavyking ~ OHOYAMA ~ JunyAccord ~ CBsevenTUNER

Bought from: Joshy ~ TypeG ~ agol ~ 92smokeaccord ~ Extacee ~ mak ~ lindiz ~ illestatus ~ F20A CB7 ~ accord=inspire? ~ marcusv8thunder

Comment

Awesome write-up! Very detailed. Great photos and smooth procedure.

For those of you worried about how to retrofit this cluster properly, now you know!
        My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Off topic but i like your little cruise control block off

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            Off topic but i like your little cruise control block off
            thanks got it done from joshy himself

Comment

very nice write-up

Originally posted by Juice21
              thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
              Originally posted by GameChewer
              Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

This looks extremely bad ass bro

Thinking of doing this sometime , GREAT Write up

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

Awesome DIY! Very clean.

Originally posted by toycar
                  Braking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.

Comment

Dude this is sick!

Comment

Was this done on a auto or manual ?

Comment

that looks oem.
                        COUPE K24

Comment

Is this a plug and play or do you gotta rewire stuff like the last thread?

Bought from:AbsurdNY,92smokeaccord,cb7inct,nevi325,xkjnboix,cb 7resurrector,JoshM

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203451

Comment

Originally posted by Gecko1 View Post
                            Was this done on a auto or manual ?
                            manual

Originally posted by markrutherford View Post
                            Is this a plug and play or do you gotta rewire stuff like the last thread?
                            it was a plug and play after i finished the wiring

Comment

WOW!!! now I have to try and make mine fit better, cause that looks so effin good.
                              Freedom Is Not Free
                              U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

Working...
                              X