Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Double Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Leak

My tranny is leaking transmission fluid and power steering fluid simultaneously. I changed the hoses, both axle retainers... I thought the leak was a bad gasket (the one around the converter on the bell) but above the tranny is dry and starts getting soaked under the place where the hoses are attached and the liquid runs to the axle and the gasket, so, it isn't the gasket.

when I park and turns off the car starts the leak, then stops after a few minutes. Is there a part that you replace and the problem ends or I have to unmount the tranny to reach downthere? I cant see where start the leak because the mount, and why 2 fluids mixed at a time?

Thanks.

I'd suggest degreasing both areas and watch for any leaks. It's hard to find leaks that's already soaked with fluids.

Comment

What is power steering fluid doing in your transmission?

Sounds to me like your axle seals have gone... But I don't have much to go on by your post... Seems very confusing.

Comment

That's part of my question. The seals are brand new ant still leaking. I cleaned up everything and can't found that. Seems like it,s something where the hoses are connected on. Is there a gasket or something that I can't see because the mount or below something?

when I changed the hoses, one of the lines (the thicker) had power steering fluid running inside. I think the other one was TF. It's suposed to be like that?

Comment

This is one of those cases where a picture would be worth a 1000 words.

Got a camera? It sounds like you are flying blind here, and the only way we can help is if you know what you are explaining.

Comment

Sorry. I'll try to put a photo, it's gonna be a process but I will. But the situation is: The car is leaking power steering fluid and tranny fluid at the same drop, at the same time, mixed, but anyone can see the difference. More TF than PSF. It's not the axle seals because both are new. It's not the rear hoses, they're brand new too, it's not the gasket that you see around the tranny... the question is; What or where it could be?

Comment

The only place I know of where transmission fluid and power steering fluid are even remotely close to each other (other than the rack-n-pinion being right next to the transmission) is in the radiator, there is a power steering cooler and a AT cooler up there. But this is not anywhere near the transmission really...

Comment

Anyone??

Comment

Bueller?

Hey man, you're not giving us enough to go on. Please either post a photo or find a photo of the problem area and edit it ... anything...

Your description makes little to no sense, if you don't know what you are describing we don't know how to tell you what is leaking...

Comment

Ok, so...
                    This is the front view of the car where we can see the leak on the front. Looks like its the gasket, but it's not the gasket and the front of the transmission is dry, but the rear is soaked. Everything like I explained already... It's PS fluid and ATF mixed.

This is under the car. As you can see, from the gasket to your left is wet. Above this part, there's two hoses that I mentioned but I changed them and still leaking. One of them seems to work PS fluid (the thicker) I can't see nothing backthere besides the rear mount area. The problem seems to be up on the transmission. The seals are brand new and there's no leak on it.

And 2 more things: I don't have more photos by now and my english is not the best because I'm not from U.S. or an english country, but I defend myself a little... Thanks for your wish to help me bro.
                    Last edited by El Prieto Fino; 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the photos, when you replaced the lines did you use any teflon tape? Did you torque them down to spec?

I see the ATF fluid, but where is the P/S fluid coming from exactly? Can you draw with MS Paint on the photo to mark it?

Are there any cracks under the layer of dirty fluid coating?

Comment

NO (to all the questions that no requires an explanation)

I dont know to the others...

That's the reason I'm making questions. If you can't help, that's ok, thanks. I understand. But I explained everything I know already.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                          Thank you for the photos, when you replaced the lines did you use any teflon tape? Did you torque them down to spec?

I see the ATF fluid, but where is the P/S fluid coming from exactly? Can you draw with MS Paint on the photo to mark it?

Are there any cracks under the layer of dirty fluid coating?
                          Originally posted by El Prieto Fino View Post
                          NO (to all the questions that no requires an explanation)

I dont know to the others...

That's the reason I'm making questions. If you can't help, that's ok, thanks. I understand. But I explained everything I know already.
                          So... you used no teflon, you didn't torque them to spec, your not going to mark the photos for clearer explaination with image editing software, and there are no cracks in the housing....

I'm assuming you did the work yourself?

The power steering leak I'm assuming is coming from the rack-n-pinion just above the crossmember, it is not linked to the transmission but is close. Have you pulled the rack-n-pinion to check it yet?

How about taking a video of the drip? Judging by the puddle on the floor it is very substantial. Any chance you can take a photo of the top side of the transmission? The leak is up above where you are taking the photos judging by the fluid on the housing.
                          Last edited by wildBill83; 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

What about the vehicle speed sensor? That's mounted on the tranny itself + has p/s fluid lubricating it. VSS is located directly about the auto shift cable, on top of the tranny, next to the rear motor mount bracket, and has a 3 wire connector and 2 p/s rubber hoses that bridge over to the rear crossmember. Check on that, that is the one place where p/s fluid is on board the tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                              What about the vehicle speed sensor? That's mounted on the tranny itself + has p/s fluid lubricating it. VSS is located directly about the auto shift cable, on top of the tranny, next to the rear motor mount bracket, and has a 3 wire connector and 2 p/s rubber hoses that bridge over to the rear crossmember. Check on that, that is the one place where p/s fluid is on board the tranny.
                              I'll check that. Sounds hard to reach but tomorrow I'll work that, and check the rack and pinion too. Everything is possible.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X