My AC unit just freaking went to hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
    That's pretty cool! I was thinking about a Nest or some type of more advanced thermostat after we replace our furnace with something a bit more modern...our current one is ollllldddddd, like made in the late 70's early 80's old.
    Seeing how cool this things are i definitely should have installed it earlier, i just read that by using the green or energy efficient setting the thermostat can sense when your going away therefore it will raise the temperature and will lower the temperature again when you are heading back home; this might freak some folks out as they will feel they are being tracked by i think its amazing.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Ok completely unrelated to the A/C issue but i went into one of the rooms i usually dont venture into to check temps throught the house and what i am greeted by this shit...

IMG_20170716_194600 by Jesus Gonzalez, on Flickr

I have a leak in the plumbing on the other side of the house, damn i can't get a break. Off to HD to get some CPCV piping.

Comment

IMG_20170717_134150 by Jesus Gonzalez, on Flickr

Cutting off the piece that was leaking and replacing it with a section of CPVC using CPVC male fittings and Oatey Orange CPVC specific cement.

IMG_20170717_153240 by Jesus Gonzalez, on Flickr

Now i got to plan on switching most of the piping up here to PEX at the very least, good thing i noticed the leak early in the morning and got a chance to shut it off before more damage was done.

Comment

Oh yes and i forgot, when i first moved in here i was told the piping had been re done with CPVC but turns out only the pipe from the garage main to the attic was done . Like someone said on another tread, half ass fixes to leave the next sucker dealing with the consequences.

Comment

Yes! Take pride in everything you do! Do it right or do it thrice. We should start a basic "Home Improvements" thread, man.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
              Yes! Take pride in everything you do! Do it right or do it thrice. We should start a basic "Home Improvements" thread, man.
              We should, as long as I get to wear my flannel shirt.

Comment

I will say this gentleman to anyone planning on replacing piping; PEX plumbing has a lifespan of 40 years while CPVC is 50-75 years; PEX is idiot proof in the sense that it uses clamps to attach to fittings therefore it will not require cutting and funky repair methods as you cut the clamp to replace section and re clamp. CPVC still allows for those of us who don't do it regularly to screw up and make an indoor pool not to mention that for section repair you have to get creative to make it happen. Regular PVC is not used for hot water, brass has outstanding hot water capabilities but like galvanized it's old technology and harder to work with. I hope this helps someone and sorry I cannot say more as I only learned this yesterday.
                Last edited by Crankshaft; 07-17-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

You'll love this... after having the AC system check out PERFECTLY just a month or so ago, it's not cooling now. YAY! Guess I shouldn't have mentioned it being an old and waiting for it to crap out.
                  Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    You'll love this... after having the AC system check out PERFECTLY just a month or so ago, it's not cooling now. YAY! Guess I shouldn't have mentioned it being an old and waiting for it to crap out.
                    My heart goes out to you Jon, i had to sleep in 80+ degree temps(this was inside the house not outside) for 2 days with the hottest being 85. Keep a stock of ice cream and some cool drinks of choice, it will help.

Comment

Thanks, it helps knowing others experienced this awfulness... seems like everything is crapping out these days. $500 here, $1000 there.

Had the AC guy who serviced it come out... compressor is dead. 32 years of service... guess I jinxed it.

Today was only in the mid/upper 90s. Here it is 8:30 and still 92, but should start cooling off.

Will see what the damage will be in the morning when he comes back out to size it and all that jazz.
                      At least my car is running fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        Thanks, it helps knowing others experienced this awfulness... seems like everything is crapping out these days. $500 here, $1000 there.

Had the AC guy who serviced it come out... compressor is dead. 32 years of service... guess I jinxed it.

Today was only in the mid/upper 90s. Here it is 8:30 and still 92, but should start cooling off.

Will see what the damage will be in the morning when he comes back out to size it and all that jazz.
                        At least my car is running fine!
                        Dude stop jinxing yourself!!!!. Just a replacement compressor should run 4-500 for a Copeland Scroll and lets hope the refrigerant did not get contaminated when the compressor burned up so you can avoid the refrigerant cost and just pay for retrieving and refill after installation. As reference for a 3.5 ton compressor with dryer etc. you should be looking around $1500, it will come with a 1-2 year warranty depending on the items that were replaced. On the car comment; i just finished tightening the lower control arms on my truck as a shop left them bitses loose and they were squeeking up a storm, greased everything i could shoot grease into as well and finally gave it a proper washing.

Comment

Guess who is not getting sleep tonight... THIS GUY! Heat and sleep just don't mix.

Well we had been talking about replacing it for the last two years due to it's age, noise level, efficiency, etc., so kinda looking at all the options and see if it will be worth repairing or just replace it.

Aren't squeaks the worst? My alt belt is acting up and it squeals like a banshee at startup. So maybe I'll do that tomorrow too.

And what is the deal with shops these days leaving bits and pieces loose!? If you take it somewhere it's like you have to go through and make sure they got everything tightened back up.

Comment

"Only mid to upper 90's". You're modest... That's WAY too dang hot, I don't care where you are, dry heat or what have you. I blacked out here at 91 degrees with high humidity, and I'm from Florida.

I hope you fix it very soon with that kind of heat.

Comment

It was in the 100s a few days ago, that's why I said only the mid to upper 90s.
                              And it is a dry heat (Idaho). When the humidity hit 25% and 90°, that was just insane... so I have no idea how you Floridians and everyone down south handle humidity. 10%-15%, another more and it's like death.

It's not too bad right now, nice breeze, windows open.

Comment

Personally I like to think of if as a free steam room, there are folks who pay for that and we Houstonians get it free . Sleeping thru the heat sucks but I sleep like a rock so falling asleep was the issue specially knowing the costs involved with getting fixed. The shop issue is really bothering me because I don't like taking any of my cars to shops for this exact reason but my leveling kit had collapsed and broken my struts rendering the truck not driveable and the coils had buckled so much I could not get new ones in, an acquaintance runs that shop and agreed to take the truck in while I was at work but with this incident I doubt I will as much as send anybody their way; tightening bolts back up is such a basic thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X