Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

www.JDMquality.com

http://www.jdmquality.com/

Has anybody ever used this company to buy an H22?
    I want to buy an H from a dealer but I saw some old threads talking about
    not to buy a engine outside of the US because if something is wrong with it
    that the process will be a pain to get money back.
    The company says they are in Ontario Canada.

112 Sinnott Rd, Scarborough, ON M1L 4M8, Canada
    Keep Pushing..

Sounds like it's Tiger under a new name:

https://www.bbb.org/kitchener/busine...and-complaints

*ED. - I just Googled, "Tiger JDM" and the first two links were JDMQuality.

Have you tried asking HMO if they have any in stock? I would hope that with their new website, they're staying on top of advertised inventory now.

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/h-series
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-19-2017, 06:16 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

NEVER get a JDM engine from a Canadian importer. They're well known for screwing Americans over with crap engines (not all... but they don't really care if they send a paperweight...) They know it's far to costly to pursue any legal action against them, as international lawsuits are far more expensive than the cost of the engine. Their warranty specifications are so strict that overlooking the simplest thing will void the warranty. Want to put it in yourself? Void. Want to trust that rear main seal for a few thousand more miles? Void. Don't feel like replacing a cam seal? Void. Want to ship it back to them because it's not what you ordered (yes, that has happened)... have fun paying for return shipping (yes, that has happened... and it was Tiger.)

There's only one Canadian source I would trust for engines, and that's because the guy is an original CB7tuner member, and I've known him for 14 years.

HMO is quite honestly the only engine importer I would ever trust for Honda engines. I got my H22A from them in 2002, and it is still running strong in my friend's car. Their prices are higher than most... maybe the highest of all... but you truly get what you pay for. An $1800 engine that will last as long as you need it to is far better than a $1200 engine that could give up the ghost any day. You could try a Canadian place and hope you get lucky (they don't seem to look for junk to sell to Americans... they just don't seem to care whether or not the engine they sell is good... or even what was ordered...) I'd go with HMO, though. I did. And I'd do it again.

Comment

I bought a car with an HMO H22A engine in it and that engine looked immaculate. It was a '97 casting but the aluminum still had tons of luster to it! Not a single chip in the paint on the valve cover or anything.

A lot of other engine importers buy stuff in bulk and have it sent over, whereas HMO seems to be much more selective in what he purchases overseas before having it sent to him. That has a cost, though, and just Deev mentioned, it causes them to be the priciest of the bunch. His requirements to enact your warranty period are very reasonable and his customer service is excellent if you do have a problem.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
          Sounds like it's Tiger under a new name:

https://www.bbb.org/kitchener/busine...and-complaints

*ED. - I just Googled, "Tiger JDM" and the first two links were JDMQuality.

Have you tried asking HMO if they have any in stock? I would hope that with their new website, they're staying on top of advertised inventory now.

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/h-series
          Shew, yeah I read a lot of threads about Tiger having shit engines & even worse customer service.
          Yes I have looked at HMO, I was just comparing prices & company reputations. That's why I wanted to know about that JDM Quality website
          because you guys on here would know what companies are the best to
          order from. I think i'm going with HMO. Thank you.
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            NEVER get a JDM engine from a Canadian importer. They're well known for screwing Americans over with crap engines (not all... but they don't really care if they send a paperweight...) They know it's far to costly to pursue any legal action against them, as international lawsuits are far more expensive than the cost of the engine. Their warranty specifications are so strict that overlooking the simplest thing will void the warranty. Want to put it in yourself? Void. Want to trust that rear main seal for a few thousand more miles? Void. Don't feel like replacing a cam seal? Void. Want to ship it back to them because it's not what you ordered (yes, that has happened)... have fun paying for return shipping (yes, that has happened... and it was Tiger.)

There's only one Canadian source I would trust for engines, and that's because the guy is an original CB7tuner member, and I've known him for 14 years.

HMO is quite honestly the only engine importer I would ever trust for Honda engines. I got my H22A from them in 2002, and it is still running strong in my friend's car. Their prices are higher than most... maybe the highest of all... but you truly get what you pay for. An $1800 engine that will last as long as you need it to is far better than a $1200 engine that could give up the ghost any day. You could try a Canadian place and hope you get lucky (they don't seem to look for junk to sell to Americans... they just don't seem to care whether or not the engine they sell is good... or even what was ordered...) I'd go with HMO, though. I did. And I'd do it again.

Yes, one of your posts from years ago that I saw talked about the Canadian JDM companies trying to rip people off. I thought the Canadians were are friends!? Haha.
            I will 100% go with HMO especially since so many people have went through them.
            Thank you for the thorough warning!
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I bought a car with an HMO H22A engine in it and that engine looked immaculate. It was a '97 casting but the aluminum still had tons of luster to it! Not a single chip in the paint on the valve cover or anything.

A lot of other engine importers buy stuff in bulk and have it sent over, whereas HMO seems to be much more selective in what he purchases overseas before having it sent to him. That has a cost, though, and just Deev mentioned, it causes them to be the priciest of the bunch. His requirements to enact your warranty period are very reasonable and his customer service is excellent if you do have a problem.
              Thank you. Yes, I would rather pay for quality..& the fact that it is coming from
              a very reputable company makes me feel safer. HMO it is!
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

The owners of those companies aren't even Canadians, I don't think. They all have names that sound like they're from the middle- or far-east, and I've heard many complaints about them not speaking much English (or French.) Not that it matters what nationality they are. Just making it clear that I'm not talking about "Canadians", but pretty much any shop without an absolutely spotless reputation outside of the US. Even shops within the US are questionable... because like Jarrett mentioned, they often get their engines sight unseen in a container. Quality importers like HMO actually verify the engine condition before having it shipped to the US (that's likely one reason they can occasionally run out of stock for a time when it comes to older or less popular engines.)
                Companies like OsakaJDMmotors (or whatever they call themselves now) have been bashed over and over and over again on the internet for their garbage... and they're STILL in business because there's always someone that says "how bad could it be?"
                I once emailed Osaka and asked about their questionable reputation... and their response was "if you don't want to buy from us, don't buy from us. we sell plenty of engines to US customers. we don't need you."

There's also a place called JDM Engine Depot in North Jersey. I live maybe 90 minutes from them and I would NEVER buy an engine from that company. I've had a handful of friends blow their engines up very soon after buying them (and a number of those people are currently working as professional mechanics, so they weren't clueless noobs!) JDM Engine Depot's owner actually emailed me a couple years back begging me to remove the negative feedback for his company from numerous dissatisfied customers. As you can see, I didn't... and I lost whatever respect I may have had for the company and its owner thanks to that request.

Comment

Oh wow, a bunch of guys trying to make a quick buck by ripping people off. I don't understand why a company would rather have a reputation for having unreliable products & make less money compared to a well respected shop that could make way more money by selling quality products.

So I guess some companies just order a ton of engines & the people who ship them just throw them in a sea container then send it over?
                  I totally understand the quality checking before purchasing. When I was younger I used to work in the Kitchen of a restaurant & I used to have to check in all the products coming in from the vendors. I always carefully inspected everything because if the owner saw that you accepted some shitty Lettuce or rotten Tomatoes you bet that I would yelled at haha. But, of course I respect HMO for having a good rep because that is the main company I see other members talking about.

You're right though, when people are bashing your name all over well known forums that is going to hurt business for sure!
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

HMO is definitely one of the top companies to get a motor from. Their prices can be a bit higher, but that comes with their reputation. Plus, their motors always seem to be VERY clean, and generally with lower miles too. I haven't bought anything from them personally, but I have multiple friends that have, and their motors have always been 100% as advertised. If you can't find a reputable shop local, definitely recommend HMO. The extra bit of money is worth it.

And call them. They go through stock pretty fast, so they don't always get a chance to update the online inventory on their site. You can also follow them on Instagram if you have it, they post a lot of their incoming items up before they go up for sale.

Comment

Sweet, I appreciate the HMO backups. The only problem I am running into is HMO must be super busy because they never pick up the phone! haha. I left a voicemail, hopefully I get a call back today because I am ready to purchase.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                        You're right though, when people are bashing your name all over well known forums that is going to hurt business for sure!
                        It hasn't really done much damage to the big Canadian companies, though. As I said, Osaka has been bashed regularly for well over 15 years now (that I have personally witnessed), and they're still going strong. For every person that has enough sense to listen to the negative feedback, there are two more that refuse to believe it... and at least one or two others that are skeptical, but decide it's worth the risk to save a few hundred bucks. Some get lucky. Those lucky few are the ones that LOVE to defend their beloved ripoff engine dealer, because their singular good experience trumps years of negatives!

Avoid calling HMO in the beginning of the week. That's when they get deliveries. Call on Wednesday or Thursday. I don't know if Steve ever replies to emails. He didn't when I bought my engine in 03, but I'd hope that MAYBE he's caught up with technology (the website has finally been updated... it was the same as in 03 up until like last year!)

Comment

Thanks for the guidance Dev & others as well! I like the idea of playing it safe so I went with HMO. Steve was pretty cool. After he asked what kind of vehicle I was putting the H in & I told him a 1993 Honda Accord, he then asked if I was part of CB7Tuner. That's when I knew that all the great things other members have said about HMO were true. I forget who's name he said but Steve asked if I knew somebody here but I am only familiar with the member names haha.

Now I play the waiting game...
                          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Sweet! Steve knows us! I'm honestly surprised when anyone in the industry does... this is our world, but we're barely a blip on the overall car enthusiast radar. Granted, we HAVE been directing traffic to HMO for over 15 years at this point, so I'm sure he's taken notice!

I'm glad you went that direction. You'll definitely get a good engine (or at least good support if there are any problems.)

Comment

Thanks! I will start a swap thread once I get going. Working on getting all the necessary maintenance parts now. I'm excited because when I pull out the F I will be able to clean up my bay!
                              First thing on my mind was the ABS Delete. I need to find a donor Non-ABS so I can get the to hard line for the front brakes.
                              The donor car that my buddy lets me get parts from is an EX so it won't have those same lines. But, it is a great donor because I have pulled so many parts off throughout the last two years.

Going to start a Swap thread without using PHOTOSUCKIT (I mean Photobucket, spelling error or something happened there aha.)
                              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                              X