Clear All

Content Update: See post #7

Door panel vinyl wrap
    Suede upholstered SE door inserts
    Suede upholstered door lower to replace carpet
    Leather wrapped door armrests
    Sanded / painted map pocket trim
    Transparent Red painted courtesy lights
    eBay black door handles (painted black for gloss)
    Suede wrapped A/B/C pillars/headliner
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Damn, you're giving NH-503P-3 a run for his money. Very nice.

What paint do you use? Is it pretty sturdy stuff, not wearing from being touched too much, or if you accidentally scuff something against it?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        Damn, you're giving NH-503P-3 a run for his money. Very nice.

What paint do you use? Is it pretty sturdy stuff, not wearing from being touched too much, or if you accidentally scuff something against it?
        Thanks.

Originally I was using SEM Color Coat Satin Black. I sanded, prepped, primed and painted the parts. I found that it wasn't the most durable finish and the gloss wasn't as matte as I wanted it to be. The console image in the post is Rustoleum Universal Flat Black. I followed the same process as I did with the previous SEM product. The gloss is more matte and the durability seems to be more robust as I haven't had any noticeable wear and tear.

Comment

Content update: See post #8

Sunvisor
          RL Grab Handles
          CD5 Steering Column
          CL1 Euro-R Steering Wheel
          P-Spec Short Shifter
          FFC Shifter Bushing
          TLX Frameless Mirror

Comment

Content Update #9

Content Update: See post #9

KA Legend Automatic Climate Control
            Chrome HVAC Toggles
            Honda Titanium Shift Knob
            Leather E-Brake Handle / Body
            White LED conversions
            CRV Window switches with LED mod
            Mirror Mount Tweeters
            CD Intermittent Wiper Conversion
            KA Legend Stalk Boots
            M139 Stainless Steel Carpet Protector

Comment

I missed that last update; was the steering wheel a direct fit in terms of the airbag wiring? I remember reading that Honda changed its system at some point, so newer wheels aren't directly compatible with older SRS systems. I'm wanting that style of wheel as well.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I missed that last update; was the steering wheel a direct fit in terms of the airbag wiring? I remember reading that Honda changed its system at some point, so newer wheels aren't directly compatible with older SRS systems. I'm wanting that style of wheel as well.
                I bought that wheel from overseas via eBay. It came without the airbag module due to shipping restrictions, which is fine I guess. I jumped the circuit at the connector on the steering column to make the SRS Warning Light go out. The horn connectors are also connected there to make it operate correctly. The CB column shroud has to be modified as the rear of the Euro-R wheel is deeper and collides with the shroud.

Comment

Managed to find a fender in the same color and replaced the damaged fender that came on the car. That was fairly straight forward. The color match was ok. Transferred over the TSX wheels, headlamps, and taillamps. The window graphics and stickers were removed. The rear bumper and antenna would also need to be replaced as they were both damaged.

JDM One Piece Headlamps
                  E46 Projector Retrofit
                  Red/Clear Taillamps
                  CL9 OEM TSX Wheels

Comment

Exterior 1 Continued

I knew going in that the rust on the quarter panels would have to be addressed sooner or later, but I had been putting that off. The past couple of summers had been spent doing all of the previous projects and by 2018 it was time to look into getting the body work done to at least stop the rust from getting worse.

Driver's Side Rust

Passenger's Side Rust

After setting a budget and making a document to define the scope of the repair, I went to get estimates for the work. I came across a bunch of places that wouldn't tackle a rust repair, which is fine. I did finally find a place to get the rust repaired. Instead of doing full quarter panel replacements, the shop left most of the original metal in place and welded in small patch panels. Surprisingly, there was no rust hiding behind the side skirts on the rocker panels.

After the repair

The result was a little rough looking, but it also totaled 1/2 of the estimated cost. Before getting to the rust repair I had walked through the intent for the exterior bodywork with the shop and knew that the rust repair was part of a larger bodywork job that would finesse the rust repair areas. To stay on budget, the rust repair was the first step in the process; it was to be followed by a full repaint at a later date.

Following the rust repair, I gave the car a once over and discovered that it was also having some severe rust on the fender that I had previously installed that couldn't be seen with the inner fender installed. So I spent the rest of the summer trying to locate a rust-free OEM fender in the rustbelt. A fool's errand in hindsight.

Fender off, trying to locate a replacement

After striking out a few times, I decided to pull the trigger on an aftermarket part and just deal with the odd fitment that could entail.

Since the rust had been repaired, it seemed like it was time to attempt to roll the rear fenders to prevent tire rubbing if a wider tire ever got fitted to the rear.

Fender rolling

By that time it was already late fall in Michigan and I figured I would just have the car painted in the spring of 2019. To save a bit of money I did the bulk of the disassembly of the trim and easily removed parts so the bodyshop wouldn't have to.

Disassembled Front End

Since I was trying to save money, I tried my hand at plastic welding the license plate holes in the front bumper to keep the shop from having to do it. (Thanks to Bodevision for doing a DIY on his youtube channel)

Bumper with filled holes

After that it was a matter of getting all of the parts labeled and placed into the car and then dropping it off at the shop.

Drop off 1

Drop off 2

Drop off 3

Comment

A lot going on here. Can we get a drop off day 4, 5, 6

So you are having a shop do all the body work and paint it? Same color?

Comment

I love me some bodevision! Looking forward to exterior part 2.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

i really like the climate control retrofit. this is a super nice build!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Exciting stuff! Very tasteful parts on it already; the body work and paint is really going to transform this into something special. Congrats on all the progress.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              A lot going on here. Can we get a drop off day 4, 5, 6

So you are having a shop do all the body work and paint it? Same color?
                              The plan was that the shop would do the paint and body work as they had already begun the process with the rust repair.

The intent was a complete color change to replace the faded Seattle Silver OEM color. Machine Grey, a current Mazda color, is the intended final color.

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                              I love me some bodevision! Looking forward to exterior part 2.
                              I do too! He's really fun to watch and he teaches the in's and out's of what he does really well.

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                              i really like the climate control retrofit. this is a super nice build!
                              Thanks, that is high praise. I appreciate your remarks.

Exciting stuff! Very tasteful parts on it already; the body work and paint is really going to transform this into something special. Congrats on all the progress.
                              Thanks. Your build is also make really good headway in a short time! Can't wait to see where it goes. I've tried to make the process of this all make sense so far. 2019 throws me a curveball though.

Comment

Well...that would not go exactly as planned. The shop and I had come up with a plan for all of the rust repair, body work and paint previously. After the drop-off somehow that all went out of the window and the updated estimate of the service ballooned to $15k. (.__. ) Well that wouldn't work. Not only is $15k an enormous amount of money, it also would probably not be the most fiscally responsible thing to spend it on my project car that I bought for $450.

Far be it for me to haggle about the price of someone else's labor, so I had to regroup a little bit. Considering what I wanted, dents and dings repaired, antenna hole filled/blended, color change with jambs painted I figured that perhaps Maaco might be able to execute this. And off we went. This would also not go as expected, Maaco declined to even quote the job as it seemed like a job too large for them.

By that time I had already discussed with myself that I might have to paint this car myself. Have I ever painted a car? Well no, I did paint scale models in undergrad though. Do you have the equipment to paint a car? Nope. Do you have a spray booth to paint in? Also nope.

And so it began...

Sanding/blending the rust repair on the rear quarters

Sanding the body and dent repair

I overlooked this damage somehow. Apparently in a previous life the driver's door mechanism failed and someone did a choice maneuver to free the door and left the jamb looking like swiss cheese.

Door Jamb

Fast forward 2 months: Body prepped, fenders, bumpers, doors and hood removed

Vent screen doing its job apparently

In the mean time I acquired A Devilbiss paint gun setup, air compressor, sanding devices and lots of plastic sheeting. For the corrosion resistance part of the paint job I went with Eastwood Epoxy primer.

Epoxy Primer

After that part of the process it was time to move on to the urethane primer stage of the process. The local paint supply place that I utilized for this uses Axalta refinish systems, to minimize the likelihood incompatible paint components I used Nason Select-Prime 2k Urethane primer. All of the parts would be getting this primer so they all had to be cleaned and prepped.

Since this was an ongoing project, gaps of time would pass before the next step could be tackled. One of those was the time between epoxy primer application and urethane primer application. As a result the epoxy primer needed to be lightly sanded before it could urethane primed.

Urethane Primer Prep

Urethane Prime 1

Urethane Prime 2

Urethane Prime 3

Urethane Prime 4

Urethane Prime 5

Urethane Prime 6

After that was another bit of sanding, actually this would turn out to be the low point of an entire experience of low points. Sanding the insides of doors and all of the B-surfaces that have corrugation and engineered provisions for clips and bolts is a tedious nightmare. *sigh

It was also about this time that I had to buy paint. I did a bit of research into the Machine Grey Mazda finish only to find out that this would also be an ordeal in itself. Turns out the production version of this is elaborate and that translates to the refinish application as well. I had already done the research into this, but the paint guy definitely knew and warned me that the process would be labor intensive.

Machine Gray Diagram

The refinish process outlines this procedure:
                                -Primer
                                -sand to P600/P800
                                -Apply Black basecoat
                                -allow to cure
                                --sand to P1500, wet sand to P3000
                                -Apply translucent metallic layer
                                -Apply final clearcoat

Paint acquired it was time to start the color application process. Seeing as the some parts insides of the doors and trunk would be virtually unseen after the car was reassembled I decided to paint those first in case there was a severe learning curve to spray the material. As these surfaces are not as critical (and also because they are a nightmare to sand) I decided to forgo the sanding process on the door jambs, inside of the trunk/hood/doors, and the lower rear panels behind the bumper.

Painted Jambs 1

Painted Jambs 2

Painted Jambs 3

Painted Jambs 4

I had not performed the final sanding of the urethane primered surfaces intentionally. I wanted to wait until after the jambs were painted and then sand away the overspray and do the final sanding at the same time. So once the jambs had cured it was time to reattach the doors and fenders. Putting the doors back on properly was not particularly fun. But after those parts were installed, the final sanding commenced.

Door Inner

Doors installed, Sanding in process

Comment

Working...
                                X