No announcement yet.

ac components you MUST replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice would be appreciated . If this guy is correct on what he said, I will return on Monday..

Comment

Dont forget the defroster.

EVERY TIME you run your defrost, the AC compressor is used. This is because in the winter months no one uses their AC, but we'll often use defrost. So auto manufacturers have the compressor kick on during defrost use.

Additionally it helps to dry the air which clears the glass faster than just heat alone. Since AC units were originally designed to take humidity/moisture out of the air. The cooling effect is just a bonus for everyone when we are running units in our house/cars. Less moisture in the air lets water evap off us and cool is down.

Though the cars heater will easily overpower an ac systemwhen you have climate control set on defrost.

Compressors do NOT run in the event that there is too little pressure in the system. So if you think it "locked up" because it wont work, its probably just out of gas pressure which prevents the compressor from turning on and destroying itself. At this point, it obviouslt has a leak, so charge it with UV dye, see that it has enough pressure to run and find your leak.

Now if it shreded your belt lol, yea id say it had pressure, clutch engauged and couldn't turn the compressor. Hence blown compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
        EVERY TIME you run your defrost, the AC compressor is used. This is because in the winter months no one uses their AC, but we'll often use defrost. So auto manufacturers have the compressor kick on during defrost use.
        This is true on a lot of newer cars (and older domestics). On the CB7 and most older Hondas the defroster will NOT engage the a/c compressor automatically. All it does is route the air to the windshield.

Personally I like having control over when the compressor runs and when it doesn't since sometimes I just want heat on the dashboard (if it's iced over, for example).
        1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
        VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
        NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
        CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

But this is true if you have the digital climate control for the CB7. Although you can still just turn the A/C back off by hitting the button. But when you hit the defrost button initially it does turn on the A/C.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Which CB7's had digital climate controls? I don't think I've seen one, both of my EX's had the push button controls with the rotary fan and temp dials.
            1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
            VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
            NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
            CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

JDM and I think AUDM had them as options. Here is mine fully installed in the car. These were not an option in the US.

JDM CB7 Digital Climate Control

The unit itself isn't cheap and it requires a bunch of extra sensors and components to make fully functional. However it is totally worth it!
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

i just posted something on the retro fit thread. You can use the CD5 compressor and get one from the junk yard for cheap, replace the expansion valve, the drier in your car and the rubber hose and that should be it. if you have not already converted to R134 i would check out the retro fit thread.

just google cb7tuner ac retro fit and it should be the first one that pops up, do it nice or do it twice.

if you use the CD compressor save the plug and the hose manifold from the CB compressor as you will need thos
                Accord SE

93se
                Members Ride
                Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165508
                  Accord SE

93se
                  Members Ride
                  Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                  Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Well, updates.

I replaced the dryer and vacuumed the system. Put R134 in but the A/C does not cool down.

I was looking at the gauges and the high pressure gauge didn't go over 150. It didn;t do the up and down that is supposed to do.

When I go through the pressure test, I read "frosty expansion valve", "condenser is hot" .

how do you check "expansion valve or condenser temperature" ?

I am about to get rid of the whole AC system :/

I mean..how do I know if it is a faulty compressor or the expansion valve?
                    Last edited by greenquark; 06-30-2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Some updates:

I have access to the low pressure port with a gauge .

--When compressor is off...the gauge measure 45 PSI. When I turned the A/C on, pressure goes down continuously to almost zero.

-- sight glass shows liquid freon , no bubbles.

-- the line going IN to the dryer is colder than ambient temperature.
                      --Condenser is cold to the touch.
                      --High pressure line connected to the compressor is hot .
                      --High pressure line going into the evaporator is cold than ambient
                      --Low pressure line getting out the evaporator is warmer than ambient.

--I removed the glovebox and when I turn the A/C on, there is a hissing sound coming out of the evaporator. When I turn the A/C off , the hissing sound goes away gradually

_ Unfortunately , I have no gauge for the high pressure port :/

No cool aire out of vent. No frosted Tvx valve, evaporator does not seem to cool down.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
                        Some updates:

I have access to the low pressure port with a gauge .

--When compressor is off...the gauge measure 45 PSI. When I turned the A/C on, pressure goes down continuously to almost zero.

-- sight glass shows liquid freon , no bubbles.

-- the line going IN to the dryer is colder than ambient temperature.
                        --Condenser is cold to the touch.
                        --High pressure line connected to the compressor is hot .
                        --High pressure line going into the evaporator is cold than ambient
                        --Low pressure line getting out the evaporator is warmer than ambient.

--I removed the glovebox and when I turn the A/C on, there is a hissing sound coming out of the evaporator. When I turn the A/C off , the hissing sound goes away gradually

_ Unfortunately , I have no gauge for the high pressure port :/

No cool aire out of vent. No frosted Tvx valve, evaporator does not seem to cool down.

Any ideas?
                        Exactly the same symptoms of my bad expansion valve. That would be my guess. I would definitely go buy a real gauge set, pronto.
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                          Exactly the same symptoms of my bad expansion valve. That would be my guess. I would definitely go buy a real gauge set, pronto.
                          Well after reading and reading I found out the static pressure at 85 F should be 95. And I measured it ....it is at 50! ...

Comment

Update :

I put some more R134a...high pressure doesn't go up. And low pressure goes almost to zero( when A/C turns on) . When the Ac is turned off , low pressure goes up to 75 PSI almost . Funny thing is I can see liquid freon through the sight glass on the dryer. I can also hear the hissing noise at the evaporator. I will wait until tomorrow to check for leaks.

I am done with it. It drives me nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
                              Update :

I put some more R134a...high pressure doesn't go up. And low pressure goes almost to zero( when A/C turns on) . When the Ac is turned off , low pressure goes up to 75 PSI almost . Funny thing is I can see liquid freon through the sight glass on the dryer. I can also hear the hissing noise at the evaporator. I will wait until tomorrow to check for leaks.

I am done with it. It drives me nuts!
                              Yah, it's tricky stuff!
                              Did you put dye it?

I'm pretty sure your expansion valve is bad
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                                Yah, it's tricky stuff!
                                Did you put dye it?

I'm pretty sure your expansion valve is bad
                                At this point I am going nuts. Is there any way to know whether the expansion valve is bad or the compressor is gone?

Any tips?

Point being: If I am pretty sure is the expansion valve, I might go for it. If it is the compressor I will finish the whole system :/

Comment

Working...
                                X