No announcement yet.

EXT: Hood Stand-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i used did it right now.. since no one gave me the size of the bolts.. i went to auto zone and figured it out myself..

i just used some left over oversized bolt nuts and it worked pretty well.. ill post pics of my car soon

but to those who wanna buy longer bolts.. here is what to find

M6-1.0
    x30mm

it comes in 3 bolts.. so your gonna have to buy 2 of em unless you can jack em..but they only costed 4 bucks.. so i aint trippen.

Comment

I did this for a week. Washed my car, and then popped the hood... there was water everywhere except the valve cover, and I only used 2 thin washers, you couldnt even tell unless you were looking for it.

Needless to say, I took them out. My short ram filter was also soaked. So if you have good rain like we do in florida, might want to pop your hood after it rains, and see if you could be hurting anything.

Comment

so pretty much it's a love it or hate it situation.....i guess anyone that wants to do this just do it, and if u dont like it then bring it back to stock... ima try it when i go boost, might benifit me, and if i dont like it i'll go back to stock!
        props on this mods thought... (althought i already read it somewhere else... some one mentioned how a drifting skyline had this done.) PROPS GUY!

Comment

I know I posted this somewhere else on the board, but I should add it here as well...

I had the idea of making this setup motorized... hit a button and your hood goes up a quarter inch or something. I never looked into it though.

Comment

No, we're not serious. Not at all. Why would we be serious?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
              I know I posted this somewhere else on the board, but I should add it here as well...

I had the idea of making this setup motorized... hit a button and your hood goes up a quarter inch or something. I never looked into it though.

The initial time the idea was mentioned.. I called up Cisco and chatted with him about how to get it done. Pretty much it could be done, but just take a bit of money and creativity/labor.

Comment

It would just need to be strong enough to actually hold the hood down... And have a very short range of motion. A modified door lock mechanism pehaps?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  It would just need to be strong enough to actually hold the hood down... And have a very short range of motion. A modified door lock mechanism pehaps?
                  Well, we were trying to think of something that would not only work well, but allow the limited to no extra space we have right there to put anything. Its not as easy as it could be, because after you figure out how to get it to pop up, you remember that you have to have the hinge there aswell. so in other words, not worth the effort.

Comment

Ah yes... very true. I forgot about the hinge!

You can always get a vented hood... some of them look pretty good. Personally, I loved the little scoop on theone's car.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen4Acclude
                      yah right next to the main fuse and relay box not smart in my opinion as hard as it rain her it would last oh id say 10 min tops, as for the drifter doing it it becusae they are sideways and not drivinf forward like we all do
                      I did it on my civic and haven't seen any water in the engine bay...even IF a little bit of water got into the bay its designed to withstand a little bit of water .
                      No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

I had this done on my wagon for a while to the extremem like 6 washers on each side, it looked great but the more and more I hit the profile of my car it made the whole nose look like it was nosing down. So If you don't want that to get to ya don't go to extreme with it :P

Comment

Just as an aerodynamic consideration for people considering this.

1) As the air flows over the car, it creates a high pressure area at the windshield.

2) The engine bay is a low pressure area.

3) There is another high pressure area at the front of the car. This is how they get air to flow through the radiator, because air ALWAYS flows from high to low pressure.

4) Since you have a high pressure area at the windshield that is sealed off by the hood and weather stripping, the air continues to flow up and over the car.

Once you prop the rear of the hood up, the high pressure at the base of the windshield is going to want to equalize with the low pressure inside the engine compartment.

This effect is going to A) raise the pressure under the hood, effecting the airflow through the radiator, and B) create airflow in directions that it isn't supposed to flow. That leads to turbulence, which creates drag, and affects the smooth airflow over the car.

Personally, I think if you looked at underhood temps in a variety of areas, as well as coolant temps, and overall airflow, you would find this to be a minimal to ineffective modification.

You car is already designed to expel hot air from under the engine compartment, as there is usually a low pressure area just under the car. The causes the air to flow through the radiator, into the bay, and then down to the low pressure under the car, and out the back and the bottom.

Realistically, you probably aren't increasing the air being vented out of the compartment, you are just rerouting it.

That is why without thermocouples and gathered data of underhood temps, you can't really quantify whether it works or not.

Sorry, but it is the truth.

The other question I continually ask myself is this: If it is such an effective mod, then why don't you see it on REAL racecars?

Hood vents can be effective when properly engineered.
                          Last edited by owequitit; 06-04-2007, 03:45 AM.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i just did it but i think its a wee bit high. here r some pics.

Last edited by moe; 06-05-2007, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I used washers and then used black electrical tape to hold them together and make them unnoticable, then on the top of the bolt I used a black "cap" found at hardware stores! looks good!
                              Also I have an aftermarket OE wannabe hood that doesnt sit properly when installed without this mod. so to make it unnoticeable I did the mod naturally and it does release heat from under there. My hood was black, I have a dsm turbo setup with dsm cast manifold, it gets fn hot! The paint above my hood turned white and is now inexistent! So to slow this affect I did the mod and it actually slowed the fade dramatically! Yup take it or leave it!

WaC!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                                The other question I continually ask myself is this: If it is such an effective mod, then why don't you see it on REAL racecars?

Hood vents can be effective when properly engineered.

Not the best pic, but the Mine's R34 has this done.

I can't argue the points you've made, though...

Comment

Working...
                                X