TPS Voltage Not Completely Open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPS Voltage Not Completely Open?

Hey Guys, so I fixed my weird idling issue, it was a bad TPS.

When calibrating the new TPS, I could get it to exactly .5 Volts when the throttle was closed, but when I'd open the throttle all the way, it would only make it to like 4.35 Volts. I could bring the closed-throttle voltage up to get the right open throttle voltage (4.5 volts), but I wasn't sure what I should do?

Reason I'm asking is, I set it to be perfect .5 Volts at idle. Car idles pretty much normally, but when I WOT when driving it, it doesn't feel like I'm flooring it.
    I drove the car with the bad TPS for about a week (before it started acting up), and It seemed to move a lot more when I floored it, then it does now.
    It doesn't seem to be as loud or as growly as before I put in the new TPS.

I did research on it, and there was a lot of totally conflicting conclusions on forums.
    I'm faster then a prius

i had the same issue, i adjusted the stop screw, and even shaved a little meat off the block the stop screw hits, i got like .06v out of doing that. i think its just the aftermarket tps's are shit. mines dying (again) i might have to shell out big bucks to honda and get a whole new throttle body as they dont sell the tps alone, or like i mentioned before the KS tuned one or whatever..and if those options become exhausted then mod a Lexus IS300 tps (i think it was lexus thatll work).. the growly is from too much/little fuel for the amount the butterfly is opened on the TB, i get that too and messed up shifts since the tps position is telling the TCU what im doing.

Comment

Weird..... I saw on a civic forum to shave off some metal till it gets the right voltage, but if you shave off more, the butterfly will start interfering with airflow again!

Has anyone else had this issue with a replacement TPS?...

Ticks me off though, because I don't think I'm getting proper WOT!

I think you misunderstood what I meant with the growling noise, I don't get that intake growl that I usually get from accelerating.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

So I read this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...e-tps-2947986/

Sounds like I need to adjust my throttle stop and or modify the throttle thing to get more voltage out?

Eric the car guy says to never touch the throttle stop, but this Civic forum tutorial says I need to get .48v closed, and 4.5v open. Not 4.38v open haha.
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

yeah the stop isnt something to go all willy nilly on, i took off maybe a thousandth or two and adjusted the screw maybe a half turn. what i wound up doing is just getting the proper WOT throttle voltage and whatever i got closed just lived with hoping the ecu might adjust for it after a reset. theres a lot of other chassis that use the same style tps, best bet is snag an oem one or pocket full from the boneyard. ive used dorman (2 or 3) an "oem" one i forgot the brand of, and when I did my swap wasted 40 bucks on a blackworks racing one that was simply a rebadged cheap white box one. one of the failed ones i dissected, one of the little fingers that ride the resistive trace seemed to have fatigued cracked and fell off. (poly mounts/too much vibration?) i have a sheet of foam rubber from hobby lobby im gonnna try and make a gasket from that; might dampen vibrations..i dunno. i think theres an expensive upgrade that uses a hall effect sensor instead of resistance out there.

Comment

I'll try the stop, and see if I can get proper voltage then...

Where do I find that K-tuned one you speak of?
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
            X