CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 09-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #21
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
Well we got more than 10 replies. Personally I'd like to see some form of chat room / window. I think a marketplace would be nice, eventually old school folks will be looking for parts that one cannot find online (already happening).

Dev, what platform are you going with? PHP again ?
Upgrading to the newest version of vBulletin. I looked into changing platforms years ago to something more customizable, but converting the database would be problematic. As long as vBulletin can get the job done, it should be fine.

Anything is better than the ancient software we have now!
This software is half as old as the oldest CB7.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #22
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
I think the biggest thing to help is image hosting. That’s what brings people to Instagram. The ease of posting a picture and getting those likes. Instant satisfaction is key.
I wonder about Instagram's ability to provide free image hosting vs a forum like this. How do they even do it, because I don't see evidence of ad revenue. Does it have to do with how you can't even right-click to save images? I've seen some photos on there that are really deserving of high-res, so that kind of sucks. But suppose this place did really pick up again; what would be the cost of hosting images on a fairly large scale and to support hypothetical future growth?

I like your ideas on trimming the threads down, btw.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #23
SedanTom
Gold Member

SedanTom is cool... so far.
I haven't been as active on here as I should, I will be honest. (Waiting to move before I start a major resto/rebuild) Although I check and interact with the discord daily!
Without it I wouldn't have been inspired to build a turbo engine like Grumpys (his accord is bananas fast). Discord is pretty easy to use and you get mobile notifications. Although it is a bit more relaxed in terms of language and structure.
But I would also hate to see this site go away, many people can take websites for granted, they forget somebody pays to keep it alive. Thanks for all you regular posters!

Last edited by SedanTom; 09-15-2020 at 08:26 PM.
SedanTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #24
CB7Nub
Canadian Regional Moderator

CB7Nub is cool... so far.
It's great to see some activity on the forum (not like I have been active anyways oops), I will admit I stopped using the forum after my last Accord got wrecked in 2014. I believe it is essential for the forum to stay alive as it holds so much valuable information for the chassis. It is what holds the community together and keeps us organized. Call me a nerd but it's the Jedi Temple / Jedi Archives but for CB7's, it is essential for our community!

Deev, Pandemic still hosts it? Isn't he in Peterborough? Somewhere in Ontario? He disappeared 5+ years ago on my Facebook didn't know he was still apart of the community!

A more mobile friendly update will be essential to the forum's activity. Unfortunately I see everyone especially the younger generation only using Facebook and Instagram. Condensing the forum so it's easier to navigate / getting rid of redundant subforums would help.

Personally when the MRT section was cut in half due to the paid only section I believe that was bad hit. I understand members want to have privacy and not have their builds advertised. But for me personally and I can assume many other CB7 owners, we looked up those other CB7 MRT's to motivate us to build the chassis and know what parts are good / what looks good. Some of my fav threads disappeared.

Past:
1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

CB7Nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #25
Raf99
CB7tuner Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
I'm curious on the throughput of the site too, assuming we host images? Can the site be run off someone's server at home for example? (assuming they had enough bandwidth and no data limit).
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #26
verothacamaro
Contributing Member

verothacamaro is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to verothacamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
I'm curious on the throughput of the site too, assuming we host images? Can the site be run off someone's server at home for example? (assuming they had enough bandwidth and no data limit).
It totally could, so as long as they didn't have to host and serve images.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #27
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Glad to see some changes on the horizon.

I check in here from time to time, seems to be about once a month.

Sadly, I no longer have my cb7, but I will never ditch this site, and if I recall correctly, Deev said he would never sell the site and never close it down.

As always, im down to help in anyway I can Mike.

I do plan on one day buying another cb to do a restore on and leave completely OEM.

It is nice to see the active members rides and the various OT stuff, like Anton's Novels and the Recent purchases thread.

Only thing I hope we can retain, is the color scheme. This place would feel so alien if it were light colors. The black/Red is so relaxing and lounge like lol.
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #28
cp[mike]
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful
I have some limited bandwidth to help upgrade the site when it finally comes to that, so def hit me up when it's time.

I still pop in pretty regularly to see what people are up to.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
- 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
- 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
Current cars:
- 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
- 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion
cp[mike] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #29
Raf99
CB7tuner Member

Ya, I'd be willing to host from the house if needed. I already have servers in a rack but only on a 150/50Mbps connection. Curious on the throughput for 1 month for the site (even without pics).
Old 09-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #30
verothacamaro
Contributing Member

verothacamaro is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to verothacamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
Only thing I hope we can retain, is the color scheme. This place would feel so alien if it were light colors. The black/Red is so relaxing and lounge like lol.
I second this!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #31
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley

AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp[mike] View Post
I still pop in pretty regularly to see what people are up to.
Same here. I'm typically hear almost daily. I haven't had my car since 2007, so I've forgotten more than I remember about the cars.

There's a wagon near me with an F20B for like, $2,500 that tempts me, but I just don't have the time right now to mess around with a project like that.
AccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #32
thepowderblue
CB7tuner Member

thepowderblue seems to have made some friends! thepowderblue seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to thepowderblue
I still come on here occasionally. Mostly for information these days but I really wish I could see cb7tuner thriving again. Alot of us would be on here for hours a day for fun back in the day
I still probably would be if it where easier to post pictures and it was more active
thepowderblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #33
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Hopefully the update will make mobile users more willing to visit. I know it's a pain using this pre-smartphone software on a smartphone (most of my posts are from my iphone, and it sucks!)
Picture hosting is still a possibility, but we need to figure out how to do it properly... so we don't overload our server or cause security/stability issues.

If we get more traffic, things will liven up a bit. I'll also be either decreasing the beginner requirements significantly, so that will get new users into the full forum faster. I'd do it now, but it would require changing the status of ALL users with a post count above the new limit (I'm thinking 5). That might cause things to crash and burn... so I'm not even trying it until we have a 100% proven, stable backup in place.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #34
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
I am no tech savvy person. So please ignore my ignorance, could someone who has a server at their home, save a backup to the site on their server? Or maybe portions of it?
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #35
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
This place ain't dead... It's just not as robust as it used to be. I stop in about 0-7 days a week on average. It depends on what I have going on.

As far as servers, they're easy to build and maintain depending on the data levels. Mine, well... A 20TB HD is relatively cheap these days, all things considered. Pick up a second one for a backup.

What does the data storage and bandwidth look like on this platform and an updated platform?

"...they did the bowties, I did the ascots, as much as I have, I'm still reppin' the have nots..."

- So Raspy

Straight Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #36
cp[mike]
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
I am no tech savvy person. So please ignore my ignorance, could someone who has a server at their home, save a backup to the site on their server? Or maybe portions of it?
In the past, I've taken full extracts/backups of the database, and saved them to my PC just for safety's sake. Which reminds me, time to do that again...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
- 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
- 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
Current cars:
- 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
- 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion
cp[mike] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #37
TypeG

TypeG is very helpful TypeG is very helpful
i still check in when i can. later.

TypeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #38
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
This place ain't dead... It's just not as robust as it used to be. I stop in about 0-7 days a week on average. It depends on what I have going on.

As far as servers, they're easy to build and maintain depending on the data levels. Mine, well... A 20TB HD is relatively cheap these days, all things considered. Pick up a second one for a backup.

What does the data storage and bandwidth look like on this platform and an updated platform?
The update shouldn't change much, but if we manage to do in-house image hosting, that could change things.

When things were hopping around here, hosting images ourselves would've ended us. But now that things are slower, it should be doable.

My plan, if we can swing image hosting, is to get volunteers willing to go through the DIY, Members Rides, and other important sections. I'll set things up so the images can be saved, tags changed, and images re-uploaded on our server. There are SO many pictures that have been lost over the years due to cancelled accounts or defunct hosting platforms (like Imagestation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp[mike] View Post
In the past, I've taken full extracts/backups of the database, and saved them to my PC just for safety's sake. Which reminds me, time to do that again...
You truly are the best, Mike

Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #39
Raf99
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
The update shouldn't change much, but if we manage to do in-house image hosting, that could change things.

When things were hopping around here, hosting images ourselves would've ended us. But now that things are slower, it should be doable.

My plan, if we can swing image hosting, is to get volunteers willing to go through the DIY, Members Rides, and other important sections. I'll set things up so the images can be saved, tags changed, and images re-uploaded on our server. There are SO many pictures that have been lost over the years due to cancelled accounts or defunct hosting platforms (like Imagestation.)

You truly are the best, Mike

Care to share more details on the technical? I'm assuming the only issue here is bandwidth costs and not cost for space / storage. But did no-one think of non-linkable pics prior?

What's the bottleneck now?
Own our server / need spare hardware?

Seems you have a bunch of folks wanting to help....
Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM   #40
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Getting a head start on helping in some way with the DIYs, I've started the install on my power folding mirrors. I've only got the weekends to go out to the car, but I should have a good write-up and photos for this old DIY in the next couple of weeks:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=65159

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: