Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShiroiKinCB View Post
    Thumbs up on doin' the most.
    I'm lookin into finally starting my wire tuck. Yours looks legit.
    Your last post makes me wish I didn't "GIVE" my bb4 steering wheel away, now it's getting hard to find one that doesn't twist when you steer.
    Thanks for the compliments ShiroiKinCB!

So this wheel actually has a little twist to it when you steer. I think my solution to this is going to be, getting a small medical syringe. Then putting some Gorilla glue into, and injecting that into the wheel by the frame to hopefully reattach them. Also this particular wheel has 3 cracks in the rubber that I didn't notice before I cut off the spline. So instead of doing the same on the other wheel I have, I'm just going to leather wrap this one after getting it glued up. It should then fit nicely with the leather interior. I'm thinking about using a wrap from WheelSkins.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by ShiroiKinCB View Post
      Thumbs up on doin' the most.
      I'm lookin into finally starting my wire tuck. Yours looks legit.
      Your last post makes me wish I didn't "GIVE" my bb4 steering wheel away, now it's getting hard to find one that doesn't twist when you steer.
      For your wire tuck I would highly suggest using these on any wires you have to cut. I have had no problems with them. I've used these for years and absolutely love them! Hit them with a heat gun for maybe a minute and done.

Butt Connectors

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
        Yes the yellow plug is where the SRS, C/C and horn plug into the firewall harness. I just depinned it then put the plug onto the 90/91 sub-harness. But it might be worth looking at the plug up under the steering column in the junkyard sometime. It actually sits right above the column when looking up from the floor.
        thanks. That might explain why I can start the car without depressing the clutch as well.

Swapping over the spline section might be a way to use a wider range of steering wheels too

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
          thanks. That might explain why I can start the car without depressing the clutch as well.

Swapping over the spline section might be a way to use a wider range of steering wheels too
          Yes I'm sure if you remove the spline you can pretty much use any Honda/Acura wheel you want. Might not be quite as plug and play, but we can most likely get some of the newer features. I wouldn't mind having something like the steering wheel in the 09' Pilot Touring Edition. Probably too many features for our cars, but I'm sure it could be wired up to control the radio and the climate control. Removal of the spline was done with a Dremel with only a cutoff wheel. I just cut straight into the base of the weld all the way around, until finally I worked it down to the spline and they fell out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
            Yes I'm sure if you remove the spline you can pretty much use any Honda/Acura wheel you want. Might not be quite as plug and play, but we can most likely get some of the newer features. I wouldn't mind having something like the steering wheel in the 09' Pilot Touring Edition. Probably too many features for our cars, but I'm sure it could be wired up to control the radio and the climate control. Removal of the spline was done with a Dremel with only a cutoff wheel. I just cut straight into the base of the weld all the way around, until finally I worked it down to the spline and they fell out.
            Looks like they did a good welding job for you too. That's a good idea.
            I had my eye on one of the newer civic wheels myself. It would be cool to have the buttons work.
            Last edited by DCB7; 09-29-2015, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
              Looks like they did a good welding job for you too. That's a good idea.
              I had my eye on one of the newer civic wheels myself. It would be cool to have the buttons work. The newer radios come with the hookup for it.
              The button function has already been done, also to control the dcc. See the very bottom of lucifer1's DIY DCC.

I would have welded it myself except I'm still in the process or learning how to use my welder effectively. I can do a shitty job with it. It's a cheap wire feed welder. I grew up learning how to stick weld on the farm and do a good job with that, but sadly it's 300 miles away.

Comment

lol, yeah I did some blow torch welding in high school. Hardly see that now

I remember that DIY now. Lucifer1 is crazy with the electronic work. I think he had a mirror with digital compass and temperature also. I guess it's not that complicated if you know what you're doing....but still, that's pretty cool.

Comment

I really need to get it in gear, man. Some great work here. Keep it up bro.

"You come from a long line of great poets, some of the greatest poets since Homer. One of them said, "The very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and my chains fell off."
                  - James Baldwin, "A Letter to My Nephew," The Fire Next Time.

UNI - Facebook - MRT

- Accord of the Month: March 2015 -

Comment

Originally posted by khal.lawson View Post
                    I really need to get it in gear, man. Some great work here. Keep it up bro.
                    Thanks man, the compliments keep me motivated. Although I'm sure you've had far more fun than I have this summer. After moving last summer I've had far too much stuff to do the last year. I think I'm actually going to have some downtime this winter, which I'm really looking forward to.

Comment

Last night I made some progress on the steering wheel/column cover issue. Sadly I went in a direction I wasn't planning on going. I did this due to running into an issue with the clock reel pegs not reaching the back of the steering wheel cover. They fit into holes and keep the clock reel rotating with the steering wheel. Since I couldn't think up a good solution to this problem before I went down this road. Sadly in the middle of hacking this up, I finally thought of a solution, but I will need to get a new column cover from the junkyard. Not a big deal, and this gets me driving sooner. So this is what I have ended up with for now. I'm using the steering wheel that doesn't have the SRS spline welded into it, so this is a stock '91 Prelude SI steering wheel. I just hacked away enough of the column cover to not get the steering wheel plastic covers to not rub the column covers. Not the prettiest but I will do this over again the correct way.

Column Cover Fitment 1

Column Cover Fitment 2

Column Cover Fitment 3

Column Cover Fitment 4

Column Cover Fitment 5

Column Cover Fitment 6

Column Cover Fitment 7

DCC In Action

I know this isn't the best of my work, but it does at least get this thing mobile again, which is more important right now than aesthetically appealing. It really doesn't look too bad though when the wheel is straight and your looking at it. Irregardless this will get replaced, and done up with non cut OEM column covers.

Comment

Real nice work man. That hack job could be worst and doesn't look that bad.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                          Real nice work man. That hack job could be worst and doesn't look that bad.
                          Thanks Nick! I really didn't want to hack it up but I couldn't come up with anything that would work with the SRS spline. That is until I started to hack on the column cover, and I was already committed at that point.

Comment

Yesterday I managed to finish up the steering wheel for the time being. Until I get a new column cover, to redo it correctly.

Spline and 1/2" Washer 1

Spline and 1/2" Washer 2 (I set the washer on top of the spline in the steering wheel and welded them on, just like this one is sitting in the picture. I also had to enlarge the center hole in the washer to fit over the steering column shaft. Adding these washers allows the steering wheel to kick off the blinkers when turning the wheel, works flawlessly.)

Two Washers Welded to Steering Wheel Spline

Tabs Cut Out of Washers to Match Original Spline

2001 Acura TL Stalk Boots 1

2001 Acura TL Stalk Boots 2

2001 Acura TL Stalk Boots 3

Headlight Stalk Distance from Wheel

Washer Stalk Distance from Wheel

Final Product

I used 90-91 headlight/washer stalk to get the desired distance from the steering wheel. I started working on my 92-93 stalks to get the distance and I might be really close. But I was up by my parts car yesterday morning, so I just grabbed the stalks and they worked perfectly.

I think I am done working on Lola until after this trip to Salt Lake City/LA at the end of the month. I have to do the brakes and the timing belt on the Pilot before the trip. I also need to finish up this IT project I've been working on for the last few weeks. As well as replace a rack and pinion on a friend's 2008 CR-V. So needless to say I have enough work piled up to keep me busy until we leave.

Comment

Wow this thread is a breath of fresh air for this community.

Anyway, awesome work so far. This makes me want a project CB so bad!

Just curious what is the big deal with staying with the OEM steering wheel?

I get that others look better etc, but I remember the OEM one I had in my 93 SE and I would have actually preferred its look and button placement to that Prelude one....

no disrespect man, I am just curious what makes people invest so much work in certain things...

I know the airbag was part of it.

Either way, I can't wait until this thing is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                                Wow this thread is a breath of fresh air for this community.

Anyway, awesome work so far. This makes me want a project CB so bad!

Just curious what is the big deal with staying with the OEM steering wheel?

I get that others look better etc, but I remember the OEM one I had in my 93 SE and I would have actually preferred its look and button placement to that Prelude one....

no disrespect man, I am just curious what makes people invest so much work in certain things...

I know the airbag was part of it.

Either way, I can't wait until this thing is finished.
                                Thanks for the compliment Ralphie!

I just don't like the way the stock wheel looks. The 4 spokes off of it and of course the airbag. I just wanted something that looked more sporty and didn't have an airbag. The Prelude wheel fits those requirements. I would still like to try a newer steering wheel with more buttons on it eventually. I know this puts an airbag back in front of me, but being disabled it should never go off.

Prelude Wheel

Stock Accord Wheel

Comment

Working...
                                X