Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

JTC Customs Short Throw Shifter Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
    Maybe I'm thinking about the word in a different way, but to me "notchy" is a good thing. I used to drive a 2002 Camaro SS that had a billet Pro 5.0 shifter installed. It was the closest thing I've ever felt to a true gated shifter. There was no slop at all and you couldn't miss a gear if you tried. You felt it vibrate like crazy at all lights, though. In my opinion, the notches that the gear lever went into for each gear position was awesome.
    A nicely notchy shift action is nearly as good as sex (though a notchy sex action isn't that great...).
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
      With a short shifter it may be advisable to slow your hand down a bit. When the shift timing is correct for what's happening inside the box then the gear will lightly slot in with a click, if wrong then you'll feel a resistance at the lever as the cones are working hard, more so the shorter the shift action is.
      So that's why I'm faster when I shift in a smooth, fluid motion rather than a fast, jerking motion.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        So that's why I'm faster when I shift in a smooth, fluid motion rather than a fast, jerking motion.
        Assuming we're not straying into double entendre, the shift will be faster if you force it to be faster than it 'naturally' would be, but it's somewhat harder on the synchromesh cones.

If the synchromesh isn't quite as strong as it should be, then adding more stress onto the cones (by shifting too quickly) could also cause them to not work as effectively as they otherwise might, which could cause crunchy gear changes and eventually wear the tips of the dog teeth as they clash together. I have a slight problem with third gear (since I bought the car), if I do rush the shift then I can easily cause the dog teeth to graunch. Get the timing right and it's no problem. This became less of an issue after I installed a lightweight flywheel.

Also, when shifting to a higher gear the engine rpm need enough time to lower enough before the clutch pedal is released, or else the shift won't be smooth. If the engine rpm are still significantly too high as the clutch re-engages in the next higher gear then the car will lurch forward as the rpm are forced down, which gives a tiny amount more acceleration, but is hard on the clutch. This is all too easy to do if the shift is performed very quickly, which a short shifter can make more easily possible. A lightweight flywheel helps engine rpm fall faster, as does disabling the damn IACV valve...

Something I've found with the light flywheel (and disabled IACV) is that if the AC is on it can add enough drag that the engine rpm can drop fast enough that I have to be very quick completing the gear change (to a higher gear), or else the rpm will have fallen too far by the time the clutch is re-engaged, causing the car to lurch as I let the clutch pedal back out.

Something else that might have a significant affect on the speed with which the internal rotating gearbox components synchronise their rotational speed is the rotational mass of the clutch driven plate. I've never driven with one, but I suspect this might be an advantage of 'puck' style driven plates, i.e. there is less mass in the plate than a more conventional 'full circle' driven plate, and so they may improve shift speed(?).

A short shifter is at it's best when mated to a close ratio gearbox and a lightweight flywheel. These three things working together will make faster and smooth gear changes much more possible (both up and down shifts) with less stress on the gearbox and clutch, but it's all in the drivers skill and timing to make the most of it.
        Last edited by johnl; 11-25-2014, 01:48 AM.
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          I had two questions as I've tried other shifters and they all seem to have the common issues with our cars.

1. The rubbing on the center console, but this was already temporary answered.
          2. The "notchy" gear selection that occurs with these.

The prelude shifters also don't really match up with the bolt holes where the rubber boots sit but they will all go in. But it was the notchy / "doesn't want to go in gear" feeling that I hated and how most would ruin their tranmissions. Do you have any such issue with this shifter?

Thanks for the write up too!
          To answer your questions 1) Yes the cable rubs a bit, i filed a bit of material down just a bit it helped but i think it could use another pass or two. I also snipped part of the console that holds the shift boot in place closest to the passenger seat if looking at the shifter. Another member a few posts up suggested taking some material off the four rubber bushings that hold the shifter plate in place, i may try this might just provide the added clearance to be perfect.
          2) Yes i believe its a bit "notchy" however i also don't think its a terrible as some of my other cars I've had, with their short shifter applications. As someone mentioned i also have a ls1 Camaro, and the Hurst shifter i have in that car is much more abrupt/notchy. This one (for a lack of a better word) is more refined??? If you want a ball park idea of how this shifter feels grab your stock shifter below the knob a bit, and row through the gears, its pretty similar in my opinion. Also don't forget this shifter is adjustable so in different settings it will feel different. Hope this helped and let me know if you have other questions, btw love the setup h22 turbo.

Originally posted by Davids92Accord View Post
          The shifter looks great but is the asking price $175?
          Yes it is, i think after shipping it was a bit over $180... I didn't see anyone with one here so i figured id give it a try, also since there is minimal support for these cars i was happy to give it a shot even if it is a bit pricey guess i could have just got a civic hatch lol.

Comment

Update: After a few months of driving (about 3000 miles) with this shifter i have to say i'm really satisfied with the purchase. The only issue if you want to call it that even, is the adjusting bolts back out a bit from time to time, and need to be tightened with the supplied tool. However loctite seems to have solved that for the most part, and my cable I'm pretty sure has worn a grove under the console so it has free'd up, and kinda fixed itself of the rubbing issue, but i did file it down a bit. Looking forward to getting more stuff for the CB, in the near future.

Comment

are they even in business anymore? no answer when called or email backs

Comment

Originally posted by sepulveda87 View Post
                are they even in business anymore? no answer when called or email backs
                JTC has been out of business for a couple of years.
                He had some family issues, which held him back from some orders, but then he said he was going to come back strong with a new website and processing system.

He did the website, but all orders were not getting filled or responded too, and then he just sort of dropped off the face of the scene.
                Hafa Adai!!!(Hello and How are you)

Comment

I ordered mine in october 2014, however i did send an email, and didn't receive a response back but got the shifter...

Comment

Originally posted by rubycoupe View Post
                    I ordered mine in october 2014, however i did send an email, and didn't receive a response back but got the shifter...
                    Really??? That is very interesting. Then maybe they are still available and are just producing per order and not replying back to emails or phone calls.

Which is very weird because once you have an issue who will be the one to talk too?

Comment

i have a shifter idk if its forbidden or jtc but its from a prelude i know that. its awesome my really notchy! i have to have it on the lowest setting for it to shift smoothly. thinking of just buy the hybrid racing rsx shifter and cable and trans bracket. all that for about $750

Comment

You're going to pay almost a grand for a shifter?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sepulveda87 View Post
                          thinking of just buy the hybrid racing rsx shifter and cable and trans bracket. all that for about $750
                          Wasn't jdm92_accorn planning to do this? Damn, its been at least 3 months since I read his MRT.

Comment

Cheddas Auto is coming out with a adjustable Short Shifter for the CB and prelude chassis... they are taking pre-orders now... Ordering 2 tonight for myself and my boy.. check them on Facebook and there site http://cheddasauto.com/

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Great to see more support for this chassis, although the shifter i have already performs the same things more or less.

Comment

And just so you all know I am working directly with Chedda as well. So you can go to him or thru me as I am a dealer for him.

I am working with him on some other projects for 3rd gen Preludes as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X