Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

spoon sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoon sports

I just got a spoon catalytic converter. Anyone else on here using one? Did it give any noticable increase in power? I have a DC header and apex exhaust. I know its going to be louder but I will have to have some welding done to put it on and dont want to bother if it really wont do much.

I'm assuming you got the generic e-bay one with the knockoff "Spoon" label tack welded on. These will give you similar performance to a gutted catalytic converter. These are not true "hi-flow cats" as they say in the description. They will not help at all with smog and really it should be called a "Test Pipe".

You will feel a little better throttle response but as far as gains you won't see much or gain any unless you tune your ecu with how your entire engine breathing setup is with it on. You would see more gains on a turbo car than a n/a car I would think....but if you were to dyno a before and after, u'd be lucky to gain 1-3HP if that. Just make sure the diameter piping matches ur current exhaust...and if you plan to keep your original cat (if it's dead already) and you live in a smog state, salvage the heatshields and weld it to the test pipe! Thats how we do it here in cali.... we have some cops that look under the car here.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
    JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
    1994 Prelude V-Tec
    1999 CL 3.0
    2000 Prelude
    2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
    1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
    1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
    1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

"Spoon"

Our stock catalytic converters flow just fine for most applications. You don't need any "high flow" converter. You may actually lose power by putting that on, if it's similar to a gutted converter.

Do yourself a favor... don't get suckered in by name brands and buy before you know if you can use the part or not. Especially a "good deal" on some rare JDM part... because chances are, it's a knockoff piece of trash.

Just keep in mind, Spoon, Mugen, Etc... none of those companies ever made any serious CB performance parts... if they ever made any parts at all.

Comment

No, I don't believe either of them have yet.

OP: A great "higher flowing" cat converter would be Magnaflow. They're awesome.

Anything's better than running a test pipe, but that's just my opinion. Unless there's an absolute need for one, they're obnoxious to me.

OEM cat converter does the trick for me, I agree with Mike; just be careful what you buy on ebay. Any pics?

life is good.

Comment

I used to have one. Brought one off ebay since my car has no catalytic converter due to the previous owner but that was awhile ago.

Doesn't feel any different than stock catalytic converter.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
            No, I don't believe either of them have yet.

OP: A great "higher flowing" cat converter would be Magnaflow. They're awesome.

Anything's better than running a test pipe, but that's just my opinion. Unless there's an absolute need for one, they're obnoxious to me.

OEM cat converter does the trick for me, I agree with Mike; just be careful what you buy on ebay. Any pics?
            If you MUST go "high flow", SMSP makes the only one I would even consider. However, my car is putting down around 185 to the wheels (soon to be much more) and I'm fine running a stock converter.

A good friend of mine has a test pipe. It does sound obnoxious. It also smells like crap, and definitely pollutes the air. However, my friend is smart. He puts it on when he goes to the track, and takes it off when he's done. He doesn't drive around on the street like a ricer with it, other than to and from the track. He has very little done to his F22A1, and managed to pull a quarter mile time within one second of my H22... so the guy knows what he's doing with his car!

Comment

You dont have any friends!

Comment

We were related for a couple of years...

Comment

Thats what I thought. I looked for a spoon converter in the catalog and tey had some for other cars...euro R I think was one. I picked it up really cheap tho. I figured it was a knock off. Ill post a pic if I can when I get home. I had a Omni power test pipe on my civic with Apexi axel back and it sounded good. Im in no hurry to put this on my car if it all. I have DC headers on my car now so I dont want to make it loud when I get my muffler. thanks for the input.....

Comment

I'm running a Flowmaster Hushpower shorty II resonator in place of my cat. I love the smooth tone it gives, and keeps the exhaust volume down a lot.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Working...
                    X