Headliner prep for stickerbomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner prep for stickerbomb

Hey guys. My headliner is a little beat up so I wanted to stickerbomb it.
    (If I get sick of it I will eventually wrap black fabric over the stickers)

The sticker pack I bought is all waterproof vinyl stickers and without any help, they aren't going to stick to my all vinyl headliner.

What I'm thinking is spraying it with a coat of adhesion promoter then hit it with a layer of primer for the stickers to stick to.
    No idea if that'll work as I've only ever applied vinyls to glass.

Is there any paint that will stick good to vinyl? I used Krylon Vinyl and Fabric spray paint on my handbrake lever and it's still holding up good.
    Maybe sanding it a bit would help?

Open to suggestions...

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

adhesion promoter is for paint, so is primer. so don't do that. just use rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth to clean the headliner then when its dry apply the stickers.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
      just use rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth to clean the headliner then when its dry apply the stickers.
      I've tried a very half assed version of this and couldn't get anything to stick.
      But I'll give it another go.
      I guess 21 years of human slime requires more patience.
      Last edited by TheFunk; 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM.

RIP my last two CB7s.
      New rides:
      '87 Volvo 244 daily
      Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

So a few months later, corners of stickers are peeling all over the headliner and if I don't act soon I'll be stuck peeling everything off.
        I thoroughly cleaned the headliner twice before application using mineral spirits, and rubbing alcohol with a microfiber cloth.

What I want to do is some sort of clear coating to protect everything. Ideally something that can be brushed on and will dry clear, and is also thick enough that it will hold down the stickers until it's dry, otherwise I'll have to add little bits of scotch tape to hold it all down flat before coating it.

Anybody have a product they'd recommend? Only thing I could think of was Modge Podge, but I've only ever used it for paper on paper.

RIP my last two CB7s.
        New rides:
        '87 Volvo 244 daily
        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Working...
        X