No announcement yet.

Properly Installing External Master Disconnect Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use 1/0 for ground too. Might as well not have any bottle necks. Everything looks good except the exciter wire doesn't run to the starter. But you know to just cut and lengthen the wire. It's blk/yel or whatever I posted before.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Slightly off topic, But I'd also try and fix the way your Main positive lead is pulling hard against the side of the steel battery box.

Even with that grommet there, it won't take long before vibrations allow it to wear through, in which case the switch wont help at all with the cable catching fire.

Turn the terminal 90* so it exits the box straight.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

^^^
        To piggyback off of that. Fuse the alternator output wire and the battery positive wire. You want the fuse as close as possible to the source of the electricity. (close to the battery post and close to the alt outptut post.)

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          Use 1/0 for ground too. Might as well not have any bottle necks. Everything looks good except the exciter wire doesn't run to the starter. But you know to just cut and lengthen the wire. It's blk/yel or whatever I posted before.
          Oh, I see a blk/yellow wire going to the starter. I must have assumed that was the exciter. I will just follow it from the alternator and see where it leads.

evil_demon_01, yes, that will be easy to fix when I go with the distribution box instead of the two cables directly from the terminal. I had no slack in the 4 gauge cable that went to the fuse box because I got just barely enough to reach it, and so I had to rotate the ring just to give it enough slack to make it all the way.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          ^^^
          To piggyback off of that. Fuse the alternator output wire and the battery positive wire. You want the fuse as close as possible to the source of the electricity. (close to the battery post and close to the alt outptut post.)
          For fuses, the alternator output wire should be an 80amp or a 40 amp fuse? For the positive wire, I am not sure at all, since my battery is 1000 CA and 800 CCA.

I also need help diagnosing why the starter turned over twice on Wednesday, then stopped, and has not worked from the key since then. Jumping from the starter itself works, but trying to start from the key gives one click under the dash. I checked the 7.5amp fuse under the dash and it is fine. Should I look into the starter relay, ignition switch, clutch switch?

Thanks guys for all your help so far. This is turning into quite a project!
          Last edited by af_1132; 05-23-2014, 04:29 PM.
          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
          X