D16z6 black smoke on wot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D16z6 black smoke on wot

My brother in law just picked up a wrecked 1994 civic ex to source the motor for his 1992 civic hatch hx, or cx, I don't know the gas milage one. On our way back I followed him and on occasion saw some smoke over the 40 mile trip. Just a couple plumes. When we got to his house I raced it around the block and had him do the same while I watched.
    It's a black heavy smoke almost dust and really not that much of it. Am I correct in thinking it could be running rich somehow? It's a stock p28 ecu as far as we know and stock other than I/h/e. Well it actually has a real muffler on it. I am hoping we can properly diagnose before he pulls the motor that way if extensive work needs done it will be out of the car.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

check engine light on?
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Nope. Well not yet, because we just put the battery in yesterday it could take a couple days for the ecu to trigger the light in my experience. I'm hoping a simple o2, map or tps pops up.

Comment

OBD1 cars are fairly simple, if there is a fault in the O2 sensor or something, it'll pop the light right away
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I was thinking that. So no engine light, and there won't be one either because he is mostly ready to swap the motors. I have seen powdery black smoke a few times. I have always thought it was oil but My father in law and a lot of people online say that's a symptom of running rich. Really the almost powder black smoke plumes is all I have to decide on if I should tell him to rebuild while it's out.
          Last edited by cb7 calling; 05-19-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

So he has the motor in the cx now. Still has the heavy smoke and when I say heavy I don't mean a lot of smoke I mean heavy like powder. No cel. In addition the tach was working for a day and now has stopped. Could the igniter in the distributor partially go bad? I tried checking the voltage on the tach wire coming out of the distributor because that's all I could think of and there was about .5 volts. I honestly don't know what to be looking for there. I was thinking maybe the igniter was starting to fail somehow also making it run rich

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
              So he has the motor in the cx now. Still has the heavy smoke and when I say heavy I don't mean a lot of smoke I mean heavy like powder. No cel. In addition the tach was working for a day and now has stopped. Could the igniter in the distributor partially go bad? I tried checking the voltage on the tach wire coming out of the distributor because that's all I could think of and there was about .5 volts. I honestly don't know what to be looking for there. I was thinking maybe the igniter was starting to fail somehow also making it run rich
              check the the cap rotor and plugs, when its time for a tune up they seem too run rich.
              try and igniter from one of your other hondas, see if that helps.
              how do the egr ports look?
              CB7TUNER.com
              Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Man the stupid thing is we where at the yard and took apart a distributor from a z6 to get an idea for the layout and did not take the igniter or the coil. Ok the question I have is I think on cb's the vss can cause the speedo and the tach to not function properly. On the civic it seems like the tach runs straight from the distributor to the gauge leaving the vss out of the equation. I'm not even sure if that's how cb's are I have heard that on here somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                X