Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my car's burning/losing 1 quart of oil per week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my car's burning/losing 1 quart of oil per week...

Hey guys,

So i bought my car 5 months ago for $800 as a project. Knew it needed work going in.

It's currently either burning through or losing(somehow, despite no puddles under the car) about 1 quart of oil per week.

The facts:

-I have no history/records of service for this engine.

-The car has 330k miles on the odometer.

-The 2nd spark plug was covered in oil, so the lower/upper tube seals need to be replaced(i have the parts for this)

-The car sounds like a diesel at lower speeds(i'm assuming due to a badly needed valve job which i'll do along with the tube seals)

-The car seems to stutter a bit around 3-3.5k rpm

My main question is; can bad lower tube seals really account for this much oil loss? I'm inclined to think not and that i'm probably in store for either a rebuild or motor swap.

I'd love to hear how you would proceed with servicing, if at all, and whether it's better logic to rebuild or to swap.

You'd be surprised how much oil you can burn through. It is a truly impressive amount. Imagine how much water you loose with a dripping faucet and equate that with your engine. So replace the seals and then see how much oil you loose, that's my suggestion.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      You'd be surprised how much oil you can burn through. It is a truly impressive amount. Imagine how much water you loose with a dripping faucet and equate that with your engine. So replace the seals and then see how much oil you loose, that's my suggestion.
      I'm getting a coolant leak fixed in my other car('05 mazda 3s) tomorrow, so i should be able to do the tube seals and valve lash adjustment this weekend.

It sure would be nice if that's all it took to stop the oil consumption.

Comment

It always amazes me how many people think oil seeps past the spark plug into the cylinders.... The only way thats going to happen is if the spark plug is loose.

OP, what do you plugs look like?
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
          It always amazes me how many people think oil seeps past the spark plug into the cylinders.... The only way thats going to happen is if the spark plug is loose.

OP, what do you plugs look like?
          I haven't yet pulled the spark plugs. I've had to hold off a bit until my other car is running so if something goes wrong, i'm not without a daily.

Comment

With that many miles maybe piston rings if the PO neglected to service it.

The Facebook group

Comment

Originally posted by ninethreecoupe View Post
              With that many miles maybe piston rings if the PO neglected to service it.
              Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

Great sig btw. Haha

Comment

I've got 293k on mine and it burns through a quart every 1200...I'm probably not too far off from you, but I got mine for 700 and used it for 3 yrs DD use, since 247k so i can't complain.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  I've got 293k on mine and it burns through a quart every 1200...I'm probably not too far off from you, but I got mine for 700 and used it for 3 yrs DD use, since 247k so i can't complain.
                  Yeah, I knew this was a project that needed help so I'm not too distraught. I just want it to last until I swap.

Comment

Working...
                  X