CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #461
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Alright so update time. I haven't really been updating as much as I used to, as there isn't a whole lot to mention or show you. I could show you hey look dirty parts on one car, now bolted onto another car. Not really very interesting. Continuing on, I've finished swapping out the entire suspensions between the cars. Old Lola has all the brakes bled, finally. It was a total disaster. New Lola I still need to bleed the brakes. I'm going to work on that today once the sun is out and it warms up a bit.

So about the brakes, I got all but the passenger front brake bled. In that caliper the bleeder was frozen. I worked on trying to break it loose for hours and hours. I finally just gave in, said I'm going to the junkyard for a different one. Last Sunday 2/26 a buddy and myself made the run over to Pull and Save in Spokane, WA. I figured while I was there I might as well make the most of it. So I made a list and we headed off at 7 am, the time zone difference works in our favor in the morning.

Junk Yard Loot 1

(CB7 Caliper and Bracket, F22B1 Camshaft, J series Intake Manifold Spacer, Coupe Rear Seat Brackets, CB7 Shifter, BB4 Shifter, Bumper Blinker Covers, Tail Light Seals.)

Junk Yard Loot 2

(Rear Window Trim, Drivers Door Trim.)

Junk Yard Loot 3

(BB4 Parking Brake, CD5 Brake Cap, Coupe Door Lock, CB7 Rear View Mirror, '99 TL Rear View Mirror Bracket.)

Junk Yard Loot 4

(Manuals.)

Wagon Storage Cover

Destroyed Bleeder on Caliper

As you can see there really isn't a whole lot of the bleeder left. So I just conceded the fight and got a different caliper, problem solved. The only major thing on the list we didn't manage to get for old Lola an inner tail light, and a sunroof. There was only one car with a sunroof and it was already broken from the car being hit so hard in the side. So I still need another junk yard run soon, but at least the worst of it is taken care of for now.

I think I'm going to try and swap the cat-back exhaust portion on each car, as long as the sun is out. I'm pretty much at the point now that I need to finish cleaning up the garage in preparation to pull the stock engine out of new Lola. I also need to work on Ava, our 2004 TL, and the Ruby, our 2009 Pilot. So progress is probably on hold for about a week or so. But then I should be starting the engine swaps. I need to do a little maintenance on the stock engine though. It's leaking oil like no ones business, out of the seals.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #462
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
While I haven't really been turning any wrench's on the cars the past week or so. I have managed to get some other projects rolling again. The past few nights I've really been hitting it hard.

Wagon Control Arms (I've been debating on buying some Cheddas Auto aluminum control arms. It's not like it's a cheap purchase by any means. While cleaning up the garage last weekend, I was putting away my CL-S cylinder heads, and found the wagon control arms. While I only have 3 of them at the moment I'm getting the 4th this weekend. I spent about an hour and 15 minutes getting the 6 bushings out, having some previous practice made it go much faster this time around. I'm going to put a set of Prothane bushings into them. These are going to be much stiffer than the stamped steel ones I have currently. I think I'm going to get them powder coated this next winter.)

Cheddas Auto Extended Rear Top Hats

JDM H22A Intake 1 (I started working on this before the car was stolen. Then continued a bit more after the car was stolen. Well I finally got my ass back in gear, and am working on getting the entire thing cleaned up.)

JDM H22A Intake 2

JDM H22A Intake 3

ST Front Sway Bar 1 (More damage from WTF ever they did to Lola. The bar is not bent at least. Just scuffed up good.)

ST Front Sway Bar 2

So my M2S4 needs a rebuild. Not necessarily because of anything internal per se, although it could use a new set of synchros. I didn't realize it had a breather tube and years ago I just put a cap on it. Well this caused a pressure buildup and it had to release somewhere. So it started to leak out of the shifter linkage area. Not a huge deal at the time, but now its starting to seep from the case housing. So it really needs a reseal. I don't have the time to get this done before I want to actually use the car. At least not with all the other projects I'm trying to get done as well. So tomorrow I'm driving over to Spokane, again. Right after work to pick up another M2S4 that seems to be in a bit better condition than mine. While over there I'm going to hit up Pull & Save to see if I can't get the last wagon control arm. They had 2 wagons 2 weeks ago, so hopefully this shouldn't be a big deal.

Also I've started to order some parts again for Lola. Some of them to finish up the H22A1 and some of them for Lola herself. Hopefully my thread will start to liven up a bit now. It seems to have been dead in here for awhile now. Then again I did lose all my motivation to even work on stuff related to Lola for a good while.

Last edited by Rilas; 03-09-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #463
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Alright guys, it's been a very productive weekend for Lola. On Friday I managed to get over to Spokane and get the rear control arms, as well as the M2S4 transmission. I made it home Friday night as well. Depending on weather and such I might have had to stay the night.

Wagon Rear Control Arms

M2S4 1 (I got the transmission, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate for $300.)

M2S4 2

Lightweight Flywheel (Does anyone know what brand this is by chance?)

Clutch 1 (Exedy stage 2 supposedly. I haven't looked up the part number yet.)

Clutch 2

Pressure Plate

Prelude T Bracket and Halfshaft

Manual Flywheel and Pressure Plate Bolts

These arrived on Friday.

SPC Rear Upper Control Arms (Purchased from cp[mike] thanks! Mine are starting to feel a bit loose, figured I'd save a bit of money over retail. The ball joints in them feel great still.)

CR-V Lighted Window Switches (Purchased from cp[mike] thanks!)

On Saturday I spend part of the day cleaning up the new M2S4 and a few other things. I forgot to take some after pictures of the transmission. I'll get them tonight hopefully. Then on Saturday night new Lola's engine was removed.

Lola 1

Lola 2

Yesterday I continued the battle and got a bit more accomplished.

F22A6 1

F22A6 2

F22A6 Auto Trans

F20B Oil Pump 1 (Found this on eBay. Supposedly only 50k miles on it. I paid $28.60 for it shipped to the house. I figured if it's toast I only wasted $30. You can't buy new H22A1 oil pumps anymore. I didn't want to purchase a H22A4 as the cost is more. I'm going to drop this off at the machine shop tomorrow, and have them check the clearances in it. If it turns out good, this is the new oil pump for the H22A1.)

F20B Oil Pump 2 (After a bit of cleanup.)

F20B Oil Pump 3

Wagon Rear Lower Control Arms ( I took the time to cleanup the 2 new ones and remove the bushings. I'm going to use the 2 I just brought home. As the factory paint is in much better condition. Next winter I'm still going to get them blasted and powder coated though.)

Also I kept plugging along on the JDM H22A intake manifold. I'm just working on a little more shaping in the squarish ports. Then it's just time to cleanup the last bit of the runners. I'll be glad to have this endeavor behind me. It's just so tedious staring into small holes for a few hours at a time. Sometime this week, Lola will come back into the garage and some of the more serious work will begin. Updates are coming.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #464
HenRoc
Black Thunder

HenRoc seems to have made some friends! HenRoc seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HenRoc
Wow awesome progress Rilas. question though whats the advantage on the wagon control arms over the sedan/coupe ones? I was told that they're steel stamped but aren't they the same length?
1993 Accord EX
OG since 'o3
'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video
HenRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #465
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenRoc View Post
Wow awesome progress Rilas. question though whats the advantage on the wagon control arms over the sedan/coupe ones? I was told that they're steel stamped but aren't they the same length?
Thanks HenRoc! The wagon control arms are not stamped steel. At least not in the sense that the sedan/coupes are. The sedan/coupe control arms are like 1/8"-1/4" sheet steel stamped into shape. The ridges and curves give it it's strength. The wagon control arms are solid steel. Most likely poured into casts is my guess. These things are very stout! The advantage would be in the added strength of the part. I'm going to auto cross Lola. I know the stamped steel control arms flex somewhat when under heavy load. These arms will not, just like the FFC and Cheddas Auto control arms. Only thing is they aren't as light I'm sure, and not quite as pretty currently, but they did only cost me $60 for all 5 of them. The cost savings was worth it to me. Even after purchasing Prothane bushings it's still a lot cheaper. Once I decide on a new color for my ESP parts I'm going to powder coat most of the suspension components the same color. So they will look good in the long run. I'll try and rip one of the sedan/coupe control arms off one of the cars and take a side by side picture.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #466
cp[mike]
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful
wow, interesting about the lower control arms. I noticed something looked odd from the pictures, like they appeared cast, but I figured it was probably due to the rubberized coating, because i "know" they are just stamped sheet metal. They arent a different shape or length or anything? I will need to keep an eye out for a clean set in the junkyard.

Glad the upper arms and switch arrived safely!
cp[mike] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #467
HenRoc
Black Thunder

HenRoc seems to have made some friends! HenRoc seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HenRoc
oh nice! I'm actually picking up my first ever wagon from a friend of mine so I've been looking into options on updating the suspension.

My other car is not even worth fixing the rust on anymore so I decided to get something bigger and user friendly..and his just happened to pop up so I'm really looking forward to that.
1993 Accord EX
OG since 'o3
'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video
HenRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #468
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp[mike] View Post
wow, interesting about the lower control arms. I noticed something looked odd from the pictures, like they appeared cast, but I figured it was probably due to the rubberized coating, because i "know" they are just stamped sheet metal. They arent a different shape or length or anything? I will need to keep an eye out for a clean set in the junkyard.

Glad the upper arms and switch arrived safely!
The odd thing is these don't have the rubberized coating from the factory like the stamped ones do. They are just straight up painted black. Probably because some surface rust on these doesn't matter. Where on the stamped control arms it would eat through them with enough time. I'll try and grab one one tonight and get a few reference pictures. I honestly totally forgot about the wagon arms. Until I was making some room on one of the lofts for the CL-S cylinder heads. Glad I decided to clean up the garage some. Saved me some money for once lol.

Also thanks again for the parts Mike!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #469
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Nice update man! I can barely keep up with 2 vehicles, not sure how you're doing 3+
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #470
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Never even knew about the control arms. This thread is just full of awesome knowledge looks like I'll be keeping my eye out for some wagon control arms now.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #471
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenRoc View Post
oh nice! I'm actually picking up my first ever wagon from a friend of mine so I've been looking into options on updating the suspension.

My other car is not even worth fixing the rust on anymore so I decided to get something bigger and user friendly..and his just happened to pop up so I'm really looking forward to that.
Nice! I think I eventually want a wagon as well. But that would mean I need to actually get the coupe to a point where it is more or less done. I'm not sure when that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
Nice update man! I can barely keep up with 2 vehicles, not sure how you're doing 3+
What's really scary is it's actually about 5 vehicles currently. Which is enough to make you crazy I swear. But I've been wading through a ton of maintenance on the other cars lately. Just a bit to wrap up on the Pilot and it's full time on Lola. It's a bit scary as I have a deadline of sometime before May 5th to have new Lola to at least the point that old Lola was at. In May is the Northwest Prelude Accord Club spring meet. I'd love to go again, some of those guys were awesome to hang out with and are going again. Worst case scenario, I take Ava ('04 TL, hell it's based on the Accord chassis.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
Never even knew about the control arms. This thread is just full of awesome knowledge looks like I'll be keeping my eye out for some wagon control arms now.
Nick, I wouldn't have known either. Except I was killing time reading our awesome forum and stumbled across it here on post #32 from Accrdwgnguy. Also I brought them home from the junk yard a few years ago. I totally forgot about them even existing, then stumbled across them cleaning the garage. Decided it was time to put them to good use!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #472
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Alright guys so if a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is 10 pictures worth?

Control Arms 1

Control Arms 2

Control Arms 3

Control Arms 4

Control Arms 5

Control Arms 6

Control Arms 7

Control Arms 8

Control Arms 9 (This is hanging on both bolts without any bushings in it. As it hangs it has a touch less clearance on the exhaust than the stamped steel control arms do. Once the bushings are in this is going to have some extra clearance over the exhaust.)

Control Arms 10

Flickr crapped out while trying to upload last night. It didn't upload 2 more pictures I was after. Not that it really matters. These pictures have conveyed the point, that the wagon arms are the same. Also I was doing some reading about the wagon arms and subframe. It is the subframe itself that is 30mm wider than the sedans. The control arms are exactly the same. As I have proven with pictures. There is conflicting information on the site about the subframe and the control arms. Saying you can't use the control arms unless you have the subframe as well. That is totally false.

I didn't manage a whole lot last night. As I ripped the read end partially apart for show and tell. Then had to put it back together. The only other thing I worked on last night was the JDM H22A intake manifold. I now have 6 of the 8 ports on the top of the runners done. Planning to finish up the last 2 ports tonight, then to start working on the last bit of the runners.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #473
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
do the wagon LCAs weigh significantly more than the sedan/coupe ones? how much more would you estimate?

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 286k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #474
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiracer2 View Post
do the wagon LCAs weigh significantly more than the sedan/coupe ones? how much more would you estimate?
I was going to weigh them except the only scale in the house large enough for these is on the fritz right now. I would say the long arms are no more than 2 pounds heavier, and the shorter arms 1-1.5 pounds. Not a whole lot but some more weight added to the car. Honestly the stamped arms were heavier than I would have thought they were when holding both in hand.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #475
cb9love
CB7tuner Member

cb9love is cool... so far.
solid cast rear upper control arms.

The early model TL's have cast rear upper control arms.
It's a nice way to finish of the rear end on your cb7.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #476
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb9love View Post
That is awesome. Also just some great knowledge for the future. I already have SPC rear upper control arms though so I've already eliminated the stamped steel control arms there. Just really trying to find a way to eliminate the front upper stamped steel control arms.

Last edited by Rilas; 03-16-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #477
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb9love View Post
I always thought that was weird how the TL didn't get the wagon rear lower arms. It seems that the decision to go with cost rear upper arms was NVH-driven, so the cast lower arms would have made sense. But they had the same stamped lower arms as the CB sedan and wagon. Curious, indeed.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #478
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Alright guys. I'll let you know now, that I didn't get a chance to even get the camera out to the garage to take pictures of anything that got accomplished over the weekend. Here is a rundown of what I did accomplish though.

- Worked on rear window trim for old Lola.
- Installed bottom 3 pieces of window trim, this will at least keep the water out of the trunk.
- Moved old Lola outside.

- Moved new Lola inside.
- Bumper removed, fender liners removed.
- Headlights removed.
- Started removing everything from the engine bay.
- PS, ABS fully deleted.
- Body harnesses undone from body hanging from the firewall currently, not unloomed.
- Brake master cylinder removed, to make room.
- Washer fluid reservoir removed.
- Cleaned up a few small areas of the engine bay and subframe.

One of my friends happened to have a '93 LX Accord that was going to the crusher. I was told I could have whatever I needed off of it, other than engine parts, as it was just rebuilt with only 4k miles on it. Here is most of what I brought home. It was a long weekend and it's kinda blurred together.

- Clutch pedal, bracket and switches.
- Brake pedal.
- Non-ABS brake lines.
- Shifter cables.
- Half shaft.
- Proportioning valve.
- Throttle body for the manual rotor
- Throttle cable and cruise control cable, plastic on them is in great shape. Mine isn't in such great shape.
- Steering column cover, to replace the one destroyed by thieves.
- Cruise control unit, as I've read we need this to maintain cruise control after converting from auto.

Some of this is actually for old Lola. Like the shifter cables, as I need the CD5 ones with the derlin bushings for the new Lola. I'm sure there are some other things, but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now. So I knocked some of the harder to find items off my list of things I need. I was really starting to worry about the shifter cables honestly. As all the junkyards I frequent someone is taking all the shifter cables for Honda's and putting them on eBay is my best guess. I really didn't want to pay $100+ for some damn shifter cables. Also I was starting to get a bit worries about the ABS to non-ABS brake conversion. But I have all my pieces for that now, so it's all good. I'm down to a small list of things I still need for this, but I almost just cut the list in half, and for the price of free!

I'll get some pictures up tonight of the progress that was made over the weekend. I'm hoping by the end of the week, I will have the engine bay all cleaned up and have started on the wire tuck. If I can get that done relatively quickly, I'll feel much better about making my deadline for May. As I still want to try and break in the engine before the beginning of May, so it's truly ready for a road trip and car meet.

I kept forgetting my oil pump at home all last week. So that is getting dropped off at the machine shop tonight. They are going to check all the clearances on it. If it turns out to be good, I'm going to have them transfer the KS balance shaft delete pieces from the other pump to this one. Once that is done the engine is ready for the timing belt and the last few pieces I didn't install. Mainly because I was trying to figure out the oil pump situation.

I'm sending my ESP.net parts back today to get re-powder coated. As the color I picked last time ended up not working out so well. All 3 of my pieces could chip at the lightest nick of something. John is going to redo them. Also he is going to make me up a tie down bracket for the alternator wire cover. Not the PS bracket, just the piece to tie down the cover.

One last bit related to the car. You guys are probably going to start seeing some new parts over the next few weeks, as I'm going to try and get most everything I still need ordered up. I don't want to be waiting on any parts as I need them. I really want everything I need just laying around waiting to be installed. I'm really trying to use my time wisely and not just be sitting around waiting for something.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #479
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Alright so a bit of an update on the week. I've steadily been working on Lola every night. Just some nights don't seem like there is any progress being made. Even though there is progress being made. I almost have the entire engine bay scrubbed down now. The only real places left are a touch around the fuel filter on the firewall, and the lower sections of the shock towers where they are plated off with little access holes.

Last night the GF came out and was helping me remove all the zip tie downs, electrical tape, and the corrugated tubing from the body wiring harnesses. I've been taking pictures of the progress being made. I just haven't had any time to work on uploading them. I'll get a better update with some pictures for you guys. So once the wiring harnesses were unloomed, Nici my GF made the comment of how all of that wiring and trying to keep it straight makes her brain hurt just looking at it. I had a bit of a chuckle over that. Tonight I'm going to work on removing the center console from new Lola, then start on the dashboard removal. I'm also hoping to be able to make my wiring diagram legend and hopefully de-pin all the plugs tonight. If I actually get that far tonight, I may have the wiring tuck all finished up by the end of the weekend. Once this step is behind me I'm actually going to feel like I might be able to actually accomplish this entire project, and have the car on the road on time. Truthfully though only time will tell if this actually happens, as real life tends to get in the way all the time.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #480
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Even though it really sucks that old Lola was stolen and trashed, I think it's really cool that you have a good opportunity to do all this stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: