CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Just a little bit of repair work done this weekend. Had to replace this:

Conventional wisdom around here has been to use a gasket from a late 90s Subaru and only in a couple of places is any real specificity given. The Percy's Seal-4-Good model is recommended and lauded as being "close enough". I've use a parts store version on my previous Accord and then again, recently, when I transferred the generic stainless header onto this car.

I had to go to a company Christmas party at the swanky W Hotel in Dallas last weekend which is valet only. On the trip up there the gasket blew and created the condition you see above. It sounded like ass. I felt so sorry for the valet that had to drive my car as all of the guys before and after him had carted off twin-turbo X5s, Denalis and the like. There was even a Gallardo LP570 Spyder out front. I know it's small and tawdry to get embarrassed about things that just don't matter like that, but I wasn't listening to rational arguments. My poor girlfriend probably wondered if she was actually dating a girl at the time.

Bottom line, save yourself the embarrassment and get this:

If you own one of these, or knew about it already, then great. I didn't and have constantly read that our only options were to keep replacing the fibrous gaskets or to use the Subaru gasket. That is, if you could guess which one you were supposed to use.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-28-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #22
cb9love
CB7tuner Member

cb9love is cool... so far.
shoot post that link over in tech and performance nice find.
I'm running a fibrous one waiting for it to blow, now i know and knowing is half the battle.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
Theos92VR4
CB7tuner Member

Theos92VR4 is cool... so far.
I wish i knew about that when I had my crx. Blew 2 gaskets on that thing. Pissed me off soo much lol
Theos92VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
I had a decent 4-day break from work for New Year's Day so I came up to the house to work on some things. I actually got quite a bit done on this car as well as others, but I'll save some of the other progress for later. What I will show you is a bit of my redundant work. I dyed the carpet of my other coupe black and it's been sitting folded up on a shelf for a while now. It had some spots where the dye didn't fully take, but since that car was out of commission, I wasn't concerned. Now that I have this new coupe I wanted to redo the dye job and get it ready to install.

Soaking the carpet in hot water boiled in a large pot with a propane cooker. I have 4 bottles of Rit dye and two containers of iodized salt poured in as well. Use 6 bottles to be safe.

I recommend pulling it out of the water in an area where there is no grass because of the dye and salt. I'm getting ready to replace this deck in the next few months, so it's a perfect spot to drain dyed salt water. Hose the carpet off here first,
then take it to hang somewhere.

Once it's hanging, rinse it with a hose until the water runs clear. Let it air-dry for as long as your neighbors allow without calling the city on your white trash behavior.

If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-28-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 AM   #25
af_1132
CB7tuner Member

af_1132 is cool... so far.
Send a message via Skype™ to af_1132
Haha, oh the neighbors.

I was curious how you felt about the pin stripes. I've never been a fan of them myself, but wondered what other people thought of them on here.

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
"Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
FS Thread

15.10 @ 90.42mph
The quest for 9s continues...or AutoX?
af_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #26
Jarrett
Contributing Member

I have mixed feelings on them. The ones on this car are aftermarket. The top stripe is black and the bottom is blue. This one won't be staying. On my previous coupe that can be seen in the garage photos the pin stripe has a tiny "H" Honda logo in it on the doors. I've never seen that on this generation Accord so I always thought that was pretty cool.

Regardless of how I feel about them, I would never go through the effort of applying a new one over fresh paint. So, if this car gets repainted, a new one will not be going back on.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #27
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Here's a slight teaser of the large suspension/brake/wheel overhaul to come when I finally get to take vacation.

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-28-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #28
Theos92VR4
CB7tuner Member

Theos92VR4 is cool... so far.
i bought the ebay header, and that gasket you posted from jegs. thanks for the link. Ill be curious to see how it holds up
Theos92VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #29
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord is cool... so far.
Will they clear your wheels?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #30
Jarrett
Contributing Member

I couldn't care less if they cleared these circular paper weights. They'll clear my new ones, though!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #31
af_1132
CB7tuner Member

af_1132 is cool... so far.
Send a message via Skype™ to af_1132
I had a feeling you didn't like those black wheels.

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
"Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
FS Thread

15.10 @ 90.42mph
The quest for 9s continues...or AutoX?
af_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:10 AM   #33
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord is cool... so far.
Paper weights? They would probably work better as an end table.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #34
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_1132 View Post
I had a feeling you didn't like those black wheels.
Yeah, I'm more of a 6-spoke person. And I like my wheels to be a lot lighter, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1 View Post
I see ep3 seats
And they're awesome! I bought them for $140 and they're easily an 8.5/10. Unfortunately, they're not for me. They're for a friend's CD7. They were available down here in Houston so I snagged them for him. They have, however, convinced me to ditch my '03-'07 Accord black leather powered and heated seats for a set of OEM Recaros. I'm trying to find a deal on a set of front and rear CL1 seats. No one uses my backseats so using sedan front seats won't be an issue. I'll pull the upholstery off of the rear bench and have an upholstery shop make a cover for the coupe rear bench with new Alcantara and whatever they can salvage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
Paper weights? They would probably work better as an end table.
They would anchor a boat pretty decently. But seriously, they're not offensive like a set of Focal F10s so I should be able to get a couple hundred for them with tires on Craigslist. If you look at some of the pictures you can see a chrome spot over one of the lug stud holes on each wheel. Any idea what that indicates, or is it just some weird cosmetic touch?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #35
Macaqueistrong
Boats 'N Hoes

Macaqueistrong is cool... so far.
Wow, you not only passed through NWaccords town but mine aswell! Nice find though!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #36
sepulveda87
CB7tuner Member

sepulveda87 is cool... so far.
sweet! nice pick up. how many miles on her?
sepulveda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #37
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulveda87 View Post
sweet! nice pick up. how many miles on her?
Somewhere around 257K. A lot, but just a number at this point in its life. It's been taken care of well and has lived in a climate that treated it well.

I did get to make a little progress this past weekend and this week. Last weekend was a painting weekend. I'm painting suspension parts in preparation for reinstallation on the car. I want every part that's going back on the car's suspension to either be a new aftermarket part or a repainted OEM part. As I'm typing this, I'm being made aware of the things that I forgot to paint, so that's fun. Anyway, this is just picture vomit. The good stuff is still waiting.

I painted these knuckles previously when they had the dust shields on. I didn't have the right fixtures to hold the knuckle in place for my press so I hadn't pressed the bearings and hub out yet to remove it. Now I'm just priming and painting what I missed. All in all each part is getting about 4 coats of paint, a coat of "ceramic" header semi-gloss clear and then 5 coats of VHT high-temp ultra gloss clear. I expect some imperfections with road usage, but not many.

During the week when I'm in Houston I have to work on things that can be done inside the apartment. I finally pulled out all of my retrofit parts from TRS and got to work. I've had these JDM headlights for a while now and just haven't put them on. There's a trend here. I have Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and 35W ballasts for the CB headlights, an H3C HID setup for the fog lights, splitters and various wiring harness accessories and then FX-R 3.0 projectors and HIDs for the 3.2CL. It will be a busy week. So far I've been working on correcting an issue that I've had with the D2S in the OEM JDM headlight bucket.

Morimoto Mini D2S 2.5" projector installed in a JDM headlight low beam bucket. Notice the angle that it wants to sit at. There is some angle naturally designed into the projector lens, but not this much. That's what I seek to correct with clearancing. I know that you can adjust the bucket, but I want full range of motion without having to over compensate. It's an easy fix.

You can see how it wants to sit in the bulb socket hole. This can be forced with the alignment ring, but it stresses the projector quite a bit.

Marking my hole locations with a Sharpie

Pilot holes drilled

I want those feet to be able to sit in here without hitting the bucket.

That's better.

I'm working on the other side tonight along with clearancing the headlight shrouds that go over both buckets. That needs to clear the projector shroud when set back into place. Something I could use some help on is how far down to install the buckets when I'm reinstalling them. That determines how much I need to clearance the headlight shroud. Did anyone go down all the way?

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #38
domesticated
CB7tuner Member

domesticated seems to have made some friends!
Looks like you're getting done work done!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #39
c91bse7
CB7tuner Member

c91bse7 is cool... so far.
I'm having the same hang up as you,I can't get the projector shroud to fit without interfering with the headlight shroud. I really don't want to cut the headlight shroud but that may be the only way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Wimp go low or go home haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7_tillidie View Post
Not a single fuck was given that day.
c91bse7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #40
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Oh I think there's any way to avoid doing it. But depending on the depth you want to install the buckets at could mean a little or a lot. I guess I ended up electing the "a lot" option. I threaded the adjusting bolts in so that they were matched how far the bolts for the high beam buckets were protruding. I'm going to wrap the housings in aluminum tape, JB weld the shroud into place and finish assembly this weekend.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: