CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #21
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
So it begins! A little nervous about rebuilding it with fiber glass, mainly the bad side, where I'm going to need to get the bumper bracket in the exact same spot...

Here's some pics

Working on drivers side.. This side had the sleeper rust, I had no idea how bad this side really was till I started grinding away.

The worst of the rust, but thankfully It doesn't go much farther than what you can see from the outside. This is the part where I'm gonna have to get the bracket to line back up... Any tips?

Supplies, am I missing anything? (Resin gel behind the fiberglass mat)

^100 years old^
(but she runs a 100 meter dash, not a marathon! 26.2 miles would most likely kill her. -deev)

(I stand corrected )

GTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #22
Vermonter
CB7tuner Member

Vermonter is cool... so far.
Any progress?
I know how much this adventure sucks.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #23
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
Any progress?
I know how much this adventure sucks.
Haha, I don't enjoy taking a grinder to my car for sure, but I love getting rid of this rust! I can't wait for finished product

Here's some progress, it's been slow going, and we've been getting non-stop rain here in Kansas City for almost two weeks now.

I would like to ask, what did you do for primer? There's so many different kinds, from what I understand I need to put a etching primer over bare metal, then put a high-build primer over all of it to fill in small scratches? That's what I've done so far on that wheel well. I have undercoating done inside of the wheel well.
I had some weird stuff happening with the etch primer getting gooey then just scraping off while sanding, I'm pretty sure it's because of the high humidity we've been having...

Thanks for your advice, you're the reason I'm doing fiberglass!

^100 years old^
(but she runs a 100 meter dash, not a marathon! 26.2 miles would most likely kill her. -deev)

(I stand corrected )

Old 04-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #24
Vermonter
CB7tuner Member

Vermonter is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRON View Post
Haha, I don't enjoy taking a grinder to my car for sure, but I love getting rid of this rust! I can't wait for finished product

Here's some progress, it's been slow going, and we've been getting non-stop rain here in Kansas City for almost two weeks now.

I would like to ask, what did you do for primer? There's so many different kinds, from what I understand I need to put a etching primer over bare metal, then put a high-build primer over all of it to fill in small scratches? That's what I've done so far on that wheel well. I have undercoating done inside of the wheel well.
I had some weird stuff happening with the etch primer getting gooey then just scraping off while sanding, I'm pretty sure it's because of the high humidity we've been having...

Thanks for your advice, you're the reason I'm doing fiberglass!

I used a rust reformer over the bare metal and let it sit for a couple days. When it was good and dry I just went over it with rustoleum primer.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #25
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
I used a rust reformer over the bare metal and let it sit for a couple days. When it was good and dry I just went over it with rustoleum primer.
Rustoleom for the win!!
This weekend is going to be gorgeous, I'm hoping to get alot done!

^100 years old^

(I stand corrected )

Old 04-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #26
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Progress!

Got drivers side all in primer now! I still need to spray high build primer and sand out small imperfections. (There's my glass pack LOL.)

What I'm most excited about: Got my bumper mount thing fiberglassed in place tonight! This is the part that scared me most, getting this bumper mount in the right place! I took lots of measurements before I cut all the rust out, and got it back in the same position.

FYI, that's all from scratch right there. I had a sizable hole going into my trunk LOL. It's all rough/structure as of tonight. Tomorrow my goal is to get some body filler on there, and have my disc swap finished so I can drive to church Sunday morning.

^100 years old^

(I stand corrected )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: