CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
zedjr10
Gold Member

zedjr10 is cool... so far.
Best affordable struts

I have a 1992 honda accord ex coupe. Who has the best affordable struts for front and rear?
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
I have a 1992 honda accord ex coupe. Who has the best affordable struts for front and rear?
Everyone here likes KYB or Koni STR.t for a stock or light drop, for a more aggressive drop the only way is Koni yellow.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
While a bit more expensive you can look into Bilstein's also.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is cool... so far.
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=139318

Depends on what you want. Best is Koni Yellows with your choice of spring. Cheapest? Go on RockAuto and see what's there.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
zedjr10
Gold Member

Am looking strictly for a stock ride. What about Detroit Axle?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #6
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
CBs have shocks, not struts.

Anyway, as said, "best" depends on what you plan to do. If you're using stock springs and simply want stock replacement, any quality brand will do. KYB GR2, Tokico HP, and Koni STR.T are good choices for stock replacement (and as said, even good for a VERY mild drop... no lower than 1.5")
I've never heard of Detroit Axle, but I'd be pretty comfortable in saying that they're just generic junk. By looking at their website, it seems to be what they sell. The do axles and steering racks in-house. Everything else is most certainly ordered from an undisclosed overseas supplier... I wouldn't trust that for such important parts.

AEM TruTime cam gears (H22A), DSM 450cc injectors, Eaton M45 superchrager

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #7
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
KYB GR2s will give you the best ride I think for the most economical price.

There are others cheaper out on the market, but they won't last long (monroe, gabriel). Those are carried at the parts stores and their seals aren't nearly as well made as the Japanese KYBs are.

I have a set of KYB AGX (performance, adjustable damping) shocks that have been on my car since August 2005 and they're still functioning decently with no signs of leakage. That's pretty good considering since I'm lowered about 2.5" on some stiffer Ground Control coilovers. I can tell they're tired though, and will probably get replaced after my 5 lug conversion is completed.
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
zedjr10
Gold Member

Does anyone know of any decent quick connect types with compressed coil spring included?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Decent? No. You're not going to find anything quality like that. Such things exist solely to profit off of people's laziness.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Decent? No. You're not going to find anything quality like that. Such things exist solely to profit off of people's laziness.
As i am lazy. Perfect. What is wrong with these ready struts. Seems to be they can be of same quality as others. Don't understand what makes it better cause you have to compress the spring yourself. Is there some quality standard that cant be met cause of that.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

They are lower quality products. They will not perform as well, and they will not last as long. You may very well find yourself changing them again this time next year. Quality matters. Especially when it comes to suspension. Your life is riding on that stuff.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

hiptech seems to have made some friends! hiptech seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
Way back in '04 when I had more time than money I faced a similar dilemma.
While I always maintained my cars using only OEM parts I couldn't afford to have a mechanic replace my shocks at that time either.

You don't state if you plan to have a mechanic do this or if you're doing it yourself?

If you're looking to save money because someone else is doing it the solution is to DIY it which is exactly what I did. You can have good quality shocks and cut your expenses in half.

I inexpensively purchased a set of spring compressors from Harbor Freight (about $10 I recall) and armed with my Helm manual and several user group forums I spent several days tackling it. It may not take you as long but I gave myself extra time just in case. You can also rent or borrow these from several auto parts stores.

If you take it slow, use the spring compressors carefully and practice common sense it's not hard. It's actually more intimidating and time consuming than difficult especially if it's your first time.

By bypassing the mechanic and finding the best online dealer pricing I bought 4 Honda OEM shocks and saved about half the cost of having a mechanic do it...

FWIW here are a few pics to get you started:

Front replacement:

The rears were simpler:

Except here where I encountered an alignment issue while installing the new shocks:

I believe the fix was to jack the each side slightly until it realigned and then insert the bolts otherwise no issues:

Hope this helps...

My Collection:
93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Last edited by hiptech; 02-24-2017 at 06:42 AM.
hiptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptech View Post
You don't state if you plan to have a mechanic do this or if your doing it yourself?
I am doing this myself and hence why i am going to purchase a complete strut assembly or quick strut as some call it.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #14
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Then why bother asking, if you already decided to buy crap?
Good luck.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Then why bother asking, if you already decided to buy crap?
Good luck.
LOL. I have a uphill outdoor parking in colorado and i need to diy and im old. Must be done in less than a few hours so i sort of have to do it this way. I do have a mechanic but honda mechanics aren't cheap as neither is he. It seems alot of those(including munroe's) are made in china and china quality is crap. What about kyb's u think?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

KYB is good.
Using a spring compressor adds about 10 minutes per unit. Less if you have a helper.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #17
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
Even swapping the springs yourself you should be able to do this in a few hours easily. As long as you have some mechanical knowledge it's really a straight forward job.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #18
zedjr10
Gold Member

I think i am going to go with the kyb strut plus. I am wondering which ones are easiest to do first,front or rear?Am going to do a set at a time.

Last edited by zedjr10; 02-24-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
ol blue
CB7tuner Member

ol blue is cool... so far.
I would never use one of those spring compressors again after I had them slid off and about pinch my finger between it and the top hat. Easier to drop the struts and pay $10 a strut and have a shop swap springs. Takes them about 2 minutes a strut and your not in any danger. Just my opinion.
ol blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #20
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

The KYB Strut Plus is probably a good option, if you're set on not replacing the springs. I was unaware that they made such a thing. The only spring/shock combinations that I've ever seen have been Gabriel, Monroe, and other total garbage.
Unless you find a great deal, though, you're paying twice as much for those units as you would for the shocks alone (though the GR2 shocks mentioned above and the Excel-G shocks that come in the Strut Plus combo are the same exact shocks, so that's good.)

You're looking at a $500 job instead of a $250 job. However, new springs and top mounts aren't a bad thing (at least not when they come from a decent company.) I suppose that's worth something.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: