Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

installing monroe quick strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing monroe quick strut

Hi can anyone help I want to install two monroe quick struts on the front end of my 1992 honda accord.The quickstrut comes all ready assembled with a spring and top mounting plate.What do I have to take off to do this job.thanks!

You just have to undo one bolt at the bottom, where it goes through the strut, and the three bolts at the top. Plus the brake line bolts, but those are cake.

With the whole thing already assembled, it should be cake. It's really easy to do. The hardest part is lining up that bottom bolt when you put it back together.

Where did you find this setup? I've never heard of anything that came preassembled before! Monroe struts are garbage, but for a quick and easy replacement (and I assume pretty inexpensive as well) that's pretty cool!

Comment

Thanks Deevergote

Thanks for the information on the Monroe quick struts I know their not the quality of Bilstein struts which I had on a Audi some years back.I live in a condo without a garage and do not feel like paying someone else to do the job so I have to wait till it warms up here in the midwest before I can do the job.Incidentally I use to be from Jersey some years ago Wildwood,New Jersey.I was told by a mechanic that even the new hondas have strut springs that go bad.Also my honda has 143,000 miles on it whats the probability of a bad upper control arm and ball joints?

Comment

Originally posted by wirenet View Post
        Thanks for the information on the Monroe quick struts I know their not the quality of Bilstein struts which I had on a Audi some years back.I live in a condo without a garage and do not feel like paying someone else to do the job so I have to wait till it warms up here in the midwest before I can do the job.Incidentally I use to be from Jersey some years ago Wildwood,New Jersey.I was told by a mechanic that even the new hondas have strut springs that go bad.Also my honda has 143,000 miles on it whats the probability of a bad upper control arm and ball joints?
        i would say the joints wouldnt be bad, however it depends on the previous owners and if they hit huge holes, drove crazy, or hit curbs.

easy way to inspect is jack the car up and wiggle the wheel from the top and bottom.

also a visual inspection will tell ya, if they are split or leaking i would replace just to be safe. everything can be found at the accord store or tasauto.com

good luck

also where is the midwest? its supposed to warm up this weekend!

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

The ball joints generally don't go bad unless the boots are ripped. A simple visual inspection of the boots will tell you if you need to replace them.

The upper ball joints should be replaced with the entire upper control arm. www.TASauto.com is a great place to go for replacements. Fast and affordable, with quality parts. The lower ball joint is a pain to replace but you do NOT want that failing on you! If the boot is torn, replace it. Without a garage to work in, you might want to pay to have the lowers done. It's doable by yourself, but it can get complicated.

The struts are dirt simple, though. I did a full suspension swap on a 94 Accord in the parking lot of an apartment building in Jersey City... in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
            The ball joints generally don't go bad unless the boots are ripped. A simple visual inspection of the boots will tell you if you need to replace them.

The upper ball joints should be replaced with the entire upper control arm. www.TASauto.com is a great place to go for replacements. Fast and affordable, with quality parts. The lower ball joint is a pain to replace but you do NOT want that failing on you! If the boot is torn, replace it. Without a garage to work in, you might want to pay to have the lowers done. It's doable by yourself, but it can get complicated.

The struts are dirt simple, though. I did a full suspension swap on a 94 Accord in the parking lot of an apartment building in Jersey City... in the rain.
            pssh you silly goose, the lowers are cake!

36mm socket and a bfh( otherwise known as a sledge hammer)

i would do them first

it shouldnt take more than 4 hours at most for front overhaul.
            if you have any issues, check the search button as it has probably been covered! tons of great info and people here at the ole cb7tuner

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Yea man, replacing the struts aren't too difficult. Everytime I told people I needed new rear struts, they were "man, that's a dirty job". And the rear's are too easy. Like Deev said, lining up the bottom bolt is what sucks. Me and my buddy had to saw the rear bottom bolts out, and it actually benefit since now when I go to replace them this spring, they won't be all rusted and hard to get out. Front's aren't really much different from the rear, other than a few lines you gotta pull off. I think the most time consuming part of doing struts, is compressing the springs. I got the Monroe struts for the rear a few months ago, since my back ones blew. They don't ride too bad, but I've also got stock springs in the back now.
              98' Mustang 3V Swap
              11' VW CC R36

Comment

Working...
              X