Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Thinking about a Rustoleum Paint job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just leave this here for you guys to check out its huge on my Audi forums

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php

Few examples

Last edited by Charlie240sxt; 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM.
    2004 Audi A4 Quattro 6 speed
    2002 Chevy 2500HD LQ4
    1995 SE 240sx 5 speed Ka-T re under construction
    1991 240sx current paper weight for sale
    Have a 240sx Q ask me
    Sorry I just think body kits are ***.
    Still lurking around......

Comment

I went this route with spraying it which gave better depth to the paint. Without excessive wet sanding and buffing the paint just has no depth once cured (Needs to be a warm and good weather afterward for a few days with low humidity). Mine was nice and had depth for what it was a day later the dew sat in and left water spots, it takes awhile for the stuff to cure.

I soon removed it and went another route. It can look great, but unless you put in some serious work (More wet sanding and buffing than automotive paint) it just isn't worth the effort as most of the colors offered do not look good with a matte finish.

Omni SS can be had for pretty cheap. I would stick with what you have, depending on where and how much of the paint is chipped or any panel damage a good feather edging, some filler, self etching primer etc etc a good painter could blend it and it turn out pretty good.

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I did the Omni single stage on a couple of Accords. Around $100 for a 1 gallon factory pack Ford black.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I still prefer having Maaco do it. The results are better than anything I could do myself, and the price isn't unreasonable. Especially if they JUST spray it (the money is in the prep work... and it only looks good if properly prepped!)
          I think the only reason to do a roller job is for the experience of doing it. A roller job might look like a piss-poor spray job, but it'll be impressive due to the method of application.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I still prefer having Maaco do it. The results are better than anything I could do myself, and the price isn't unreasonable. Especially if they JUST spray it (the money is in the prep work... and it only looks good if properly prepped!)
            I think the only reason to do a roller job is for the experience of doing it. A roller job might look like a piss-poor spray job, but it'll be impressive due to the method of application.
            Alot of the look damn good, but as i said it takes about twice the effort to get it to look good and up keep has to be done more often.

One good example in this link....
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FIT...eature=related

02 Crv
            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

That does look really good.

Doing something like that is best done for the sake of the project, not just the result. If you just want a painted car, there are far easier ways to do it. If you want the experience of doing it that particular way, that's another story.

Comment

Only reason I did mine because my buddy parents own a paint store and I got most of the supply's for really cheap. And I thought it would be a cool project to do. And I didn't wanna pay a bunch of money to get it professinal sprayed because I live in a apartment complex and there is a lot of careless assholes who don't care about you car. But my buddy recently got his da painted by macco and they charged him 200 dollars and it came out good but he also has a garge to leave his in.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Dings and dents are just a reality of owning a car. $200 for a paintjob is a great deal if you ask me, regardless of where the car spends most of its life. Sand, fill, prime, mask off everything and roll it up to Maaco.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by TracieS View Post
                    Only reason I did mine because my buddy parents own a paint store and I got most of the supply's for really cheap. And I thought it would be a cool project to do. And I didn't wanna pay a bunch of money to get it professinal sprayed because I live in a apartment complex and there is a lot of careless assholes who don't care about you car. But my buddy recently got his da painted by macco and they charged him 200 dollars and it came out good but he also has a garge to leave his in.
                    Honestly, $200 is probably what the "$50 paint job" is going to cost for most people when you've gotten all the necessary tools and materials.

And it's "supplies". An apostrophe doesn't pluralize things. Ever.
                    (sorry... EVERYONE here seems to do that, and it's like nails on a chalkboard to me! reading one too many posts my speedfr3ak today pretty much exhausted my poor-grammar/spelling buffer!)

Comment

Lol yea im on my iPad and it auto corrects a lot of things and sometimes I don't go back and change it.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

I figured. You're not one to say dumb stuff usually... As I said, that dude just used up all tolerance I had for gibberish today!

Comment

I'd pay 200 for a "professional" paint job before I ever spent days rolling paint on a car. Your time isn't free either, I suspect after you add up the labor involved its way over $200 for that $50 paintjob.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

If i had a better camera, you would see that it REALLY needs the paint. It was originally just a red, but the kid I purchased it from painted over it with the orange. It has spots of bright red showing and every panel of the car is just a different shade. Keeping it like that is just not going to happen. I think doing the maaco route is what i'm going to end up doing. That red may be "rare" but it isn't done well. And i fucking hate red.

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzy View Post
                              If i had a better camera, you would see that it REALLY needs the paint. It was originally just a red, but the kid I purchased it from painted over it with the orange. It has spots of bright red showing and every panel of the car is just a different shade. Keeping it like that is just not going to happen. I think doing the maaco route is what i'm going to end up doing. That red may be "rare" but it isn't done well. And i fucking hate red.
                              Sounds like my dad's old Civic Wagon haha. By the time we junked it, the original red paint was almost lost in the sea of grey and red primer. If you have time to take some more photos I'd love to see them. Also, is your grill filled with bling diamonds :P ?

Comment

I'm not a fan of red either, though I do admire a clean Phoenix Red CB7. My friend has one (though it needs paint now too.)

That black interior makes certain color options very attractive, though. I've always loved a black interior with: dark blue, dark red, pearl white, or even beige/brown.

Comment

Working...
                                X