Inaccurate gas gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inaccurate gas gauge

Alright as some of you may know. I bought my cb and it threw a rod. Well while I'm almost done saving to buy a proper h22, I have taken notice that when I parked my cb in August it had a half tank of gas....well it's December and the tank is empty.

Now I'm quite sure I and no one else has been driving it. Unless Prada just likes to go on joyrides while I'm not home lol. It's really odd to me. At first I had her parked on the street of my house. After some friendly neighborhood kids busted out a window I kindly moved her to the driveway. My driveway does have a rather steep incline and I thought maybe that caused the gauge to read wrong, but even while my car was parked on the street the gauge was slowly moving down.

About a week ago I popped the gas lid open and well it was on there tight and a gush of wind came out. I'm really at a loss here. And my battery isn't dead either. Just curious as to why this is happening.

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
    Alright as some of you may know. I bought my cb and it threw a rod. Well while I'm almost done saving to buy a proper h22, I have taken notice that when I parked my cb in August it had a half tank of gas....well it's December and the tank is empty.

Now I'm quite sure I and no one else has been driving it. Unless Prada just likes to go on joyrides while I'm not home lol. It's really odd to me. At first I had her parked on the street of my house. After some friendly neighborhood kids busted out a window I kindly moved her to the driveway. My driveway does have a rather steep incline and I thought maybe that caused the gauge to read wrong, but even while my car was parked on the street the gauge was slowly moving down.

About a week ago I popped the gas lid open and well it was on there tight and a gush of wind came out. I'm really at a loss here. And my battery isn't dead either. Just curious as to why this is happening.
    You say "the tank is empty"; do you mean the gaute indicates that it is empty? Are you sure you still have a half tank of gas? Any indications of a leak in the tank? Someone syphon it? Even if the battery isn't completely dead, is the voltage low?
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yea the gauge indicates that it's empty. I would hope there's still gas in the tank. I don't think the tank is leaking. I doubt anyone is siphoning gas either. My battery voltage is actually low.

Comment

I'm not sure if the gage works on relative or actual voltage. If the signal is "relative" to battery voltage, then it should still read correctly. If the signal is based on "actual" voltage, then a low battery would likely cause a low signal, hence a lower reading.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

probably the fuel sending unit. the gauge reads off when they go bad. later.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Hmmm, thanks for the responses. Hope my fuel sending unit isn't going bad. That would seriously suck. The car hasn't really been touched in almost 5 months.

Comment

For me when I park nose up on an incline it reads more than there actually it. But u are turning the ignition on at least to check it right? Cause maybe it sat for so long that it just lost voltage as that one guy said and ya. Caused it to read empty? Anyways good luck
              Accord SE

93se
              Members Ride
              Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
              Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Yea I turn the ignition every so often. I did recharge my battery and the gas gauge seemed to go up just a little bit.not by much, just enough to be noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                X