Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Needs replace", "Needs rebuilt", "For sell"... why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Needs replace", "Needs rebuilt", "For sell"... why?

I'm truly curious. I see these things posted over and over and over again.

Are these phrases different in another language? Is this how they translate?
    Or is it just a sign of laziness and a lack of education?

It's interesting to me. Omitting "to be" and completely ignoring tense is something that I've been seeing more and more. It annoys the hell out of me... but it's interesting that it may be language evolution in progress.

I think people are just idiots

English language hasn't changed much in how long?

'Cause thy peep's gots it rht the 1 tme

I really do think they are just retarded

I thought based on the title you were going to ask the difference. Like "Alternator needs replaced" or "Alternator needs rebuilt" or something like that. This shit, is just retarded kids falling subject to the cell phone dictionary teaching them da propa wayz to spll.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Comment

I think it's more along the lines of language de-evolution.
          The English language has always been the most complicated language and is continuously complicated every year with new additions to the dictionary for things we already had a word for.
          Americans seem to speak mostly in slang terms nowadays as well, which sets a terrible example for those who are still learning/mastering English.
          The internet hasn't helped much with preserving written language either.

It will only continue to get worse until either everyone in the world has to learn our trashed language system, or learn something else because learning English is near impossible.

RIP my last two CB7s.
          New rides:
          '82 Volvo 245 drift project
          '87 Volvo 244 daily
          Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

That's how languages evolve, though. Look at the way language in this country was just 200 years ago. Take someone from a lower-middle-class family living in New York City 200 years ago, and put them in a room with someone of the same age and social standing today, the person from 200 years ago would probably feel that the speech of the modern person is absolutely horrid.
            In comparison, the speech of the 200 year old person would probably seem dated and stiff by today's standard.

Most languages evolve by being corrupted, either by slag, misuse, or the influence of other languages. American English is very different from British English. European Spanish is very different from the Spanish spoken in Central and South America. European Portuguese is very different from Brazilian Portuguese (I once read that Antonio Banderas went to Brazil and could barely understand people there.)

I do agree that the internet doesn't help, though. Technology in general, in fact. Texting, social media (including forums such as this one), instant messaging... everything has spell-check, which can be used or ignored. Spell-check doesn't correct grammar, or add punctuation. Slang is used regularly, with dozens (if not hundreds) of text/internet specific slang rising to prominence (LOL, ppl, txt, plz, smilies, and countless words that emerged from the internet and gaming... trolling, noob, w00t, etc...)

Still, it baffles me that the phrases I mentioned in the title of this thread are so common.

"For sale: 1992 Accord. Engine needs replace."
            rather than
            "For sale: 1992 Accord. Engine needs to be replaceed."
            I mean, seriously... I guess this is just how people talk now...

Comment

European English is just as full of slang as American English.
              Last edited by XCRN; 03-24-2014, 02:34 PM.
              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Indeed. That's why I said Portuguese.

And yes... slang exists everywhere.
                Hell, when I first hung out with an online Honda buddy that came to NYC, I didn't know what he was talking about when he said "birds"... took me about 5 minutes to register that he was talking about girls!

Comment

I edited my post, for some reason I saw Spanish.

Something I did notice between the two cultures slang is that American shortens the original word more so than British slang.

I honestly never knew "needs to" was improper. But I prefer that to the growing in popularity "txt" language.

Comment

What do you mean by "needs to" being improper?

Comment

Sorry. I mean "needs replacing."

I needs more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        That's how languages evolve, though. Look at the way language in this country was just 200 years ago............,,

Most languages evolve by being corrupted, either by slag, misuse, or the influence of other languages.
                        As true as it seems to be, I don't think it's right. It's becoming more confusing and less efficient... Therefore I think de-evolving is more accurate.

Why on earth do we need so many ways to say hello? Especially when most of them make no sense for what they're trying to convey (ie. "what's up?")

RIP my last two CB7s.
                        New rides:
                        '82 Volvo 245 drift project
                        '87 Volvo 244 daily
                        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                          Sorry. I mean "needs replacing."

I needs more sleep.
                          "needs replacing" isn't incorrect. "needs replaced" or "needs replace" would be incorrect.

It's like saying that something "needs doing". It doesn't "needs do".

Comment

Thats a pet peeve of mine. "For Sell" or "Looking to sale this" I pass them up. I can only imagine the headaches it could bring dealing with them. Reminds me of the nigerian email scammers. theres a lot of that on CraigsList
                            Maybe its some new trend im not hip to Seems these days its "cool" to to be retarded. Oh well.

Comment

Type G hit with the Idiocracy pic. If you haven't seen that movie rent it. It will all make perfect sense.

Its just laziness.

Or!

Maybe we are all the stupid ones. Because we take the time to type things out and make sentences.

steve

Comment

Working...
                              X