• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove it today.

Comment

Wiper blades. Smallest I've ever used.

Comment

What I've learned.

This Stovebolt 235 has babbitt rods as it's a pre-53. The oiling system is low pressure. It has a splash type oiling system with no oil filter. It makes peak hp at 3600rpm and peak tq at 2000. 105/193.

I think this truck has a 6.17:1 rear gear. In 3rd gear it's at what sounds and feels to be cruise rpm @15mph. I need a small tach somewhere. It's imperative to not over-rev a babbitt rod engine. I think this truck might run 50mph. I think 55mph would be on the absolute max and not sustainable.

It steers very well for 8,000 to 9,000lbs with no power steering and 20" tall steer tires.

Overall it's very nostalgic. I'm very much appreciative of the history of this vehicle.

It was the Bonaparte Iowa firetruck for some time. Then sold to a gentleman who built a small building literally on the opposing corner from the front door of my work. He was from Bonaparte Iowa. And a local business owner. He sold it in about the year 2000 to my coworker. Who did a lot of work to it including having it professionally painted ($$$$). It is said to have 6 or 7 coats of lacquer. We will see here before long.

It's incredibly easy to work on. I absolutely love this aspect of the truck.

There are quite a few things I'm going to do to it. All maintenance related minus a small tachometer which will not be permanently installed. Probably just lay it somewhere or zip tie it to the column.

This thing is an experience. I have to get some cameras mounted and go for a ride in this. It's too cool not to share.

Since buying it I've been getting connected with a lot of people in the area that are very passionate about these trucks and other automotive related things of the era. Everyone wants to talk to you when you drive something like this. I happened to meet someone who has a '40 international firetruck. I will be taking this to a monthly car show in the area frequently. Again, it's something I really enjoy. I didn't think I would. I bought it with the intent of fixing up and flipping. However I've gained too much respect for it and find it slightly disgusting to look at it as a buck anymore. It's so much more. WW2 had just ended when this truck was being assembled.

There will be a lot to come of this truck. I know the intrest market for something like this is very small. I know there are a few on here that are intrested. And you guys, dont worry about commenting if you don't feel like it. I know you guys are around.

Comment

I sold this recently. It went to England.

It was worth quite a bit more than I paid so I opted to send it onto it's new owner.

Comment

Working...
          X