X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooray for the UPS guy!!!

He just delivered my new alarm!

http://www.asianwolf.com/car-alarm-777.html

I can't wait to install it. and I can add a bunch of options later.
    My old alarm stopped taking signal from the remote. The remote works, the alarm works, but they don't speak to each other. I have to disconnect power and reconnect power to arm it, then the siren goes off for 30 seconds. A new remote was $40 or more everywhere, so I just bought a new alarm. It looks like about two hours to install it laying on my back under the dash, but completely worth it.

Are those cheap alarms really good ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hondapawa View Post
      Are those cheap alarms really good ?
      x2?
      h23a3 lxinks

Comment

The alarm I'm replacing was $50 six years ago. Made by DEI (viper. hornet, etc), it had an adjustable two-stage shock sensor, current check, silent arm/disarm, a valet switch, multi-flash LED status indicator and some other crap I don't use. My biggest complaints were that it came on "armed" whenever you disconnected and then reconnected the power, and it's range was limited. They claimed 800 feet, but I never got the remote to work closer than 100 feet. In six years my car was broken into once, and it was by someone that knew I wouldn't hear the siren at the time. If they want in, it doesn't matter if the alarm cost $20 or $2000 they'll get in.

This one looks much better. It has an actual hard antenna (instead of a loose wire) that mounts on your windshield and has a panic button on it. The shock sensor for this is a separate module that screws down somewhere solid. The siren is SOLID feeling, at least twice as heavy as my old one.

I've got buddies who think that cheap isn't any good, but my $50 alarm did everything their $300 alarms did at the time. The only alarm I want more than this one is from the same company, they sell an alarm with a camera that transmits a pic to the keychain when it's triggered.

*edit* - This one has a bunch of add on options. I'm planning on starter disable (prevents the car from being started by key or hotwiring) and the four window auto roll up function. It will automatically roll up the windows if someone gets too close. Since I have a coupe, I'm planning on powering a couple of LEDs with the back window power wires to illuminate the front window area. I don't need to come back to a severed hand or busted window because someone didn't see the windows rolling up! lol
        Last edited by visualpoet; 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Are all of your friends alarms still working??

Either way its an alarm. Better than what I have lol.
          1993 Accord EX
          2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Looks good from what i can see ,is the siren very loud ? and did u got ur new alarm installed ?

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
              Are all of your friends alarms still working??

Either way its an alarm. Better than what I have lol.

I don't know, they sold the cars they were in and left them. My old one is in it's third or fourth car. It might only be the remote that doesn't work, after 6 years it's been beaten to death. I've resoldered the battery contacts so many times it's not funny. But I figured after 6 years, why spend $40 on a remote when for a little more I could get a cool new two way pager alarm. There will be one heck of an adrenaline rush the first time my pocket starts vibrating.

Originally posted by Hondapawa View Post
              Looks good from what i can see ,is the siren very loud ? and did u got ur new alarm installed ?
              Don't know. I stayed home sick today, so upside down under the dash is not where I want to be.
              Last edited by visualpoet; 10-09-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I'm heavily regretting my Zenesis alarm.

I wrote up a short review in my member's ride page which I'll quote here for the sake of laziness.
                Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                Got the Zenesis e505 alarm finished up.

I wasn't at all pleased with it. The instructions were vague at best, and wiring diagrams seemed to differ between different pages in the same manual. Grammar and spelling were horrific.

The connectors on the brain for the various wire harnesses were loose and not really aligned, and the hood pin sort of self-destructed during mounting. The shock sensor was different than the two stage sensor pictured in the manual, and the kit didn't come with certain things that the Zenesis website listed as included. Those certain things included the disarm-on-approach sensor (the whole reason why I bought this alarm) as well as the theft deterrent LED. The theft deterring LED is connected to the alarm by a proprietary connector too, so I can't even make-shift something.

Pretty lame.

Long story short, get a viper or something else. I certainly won't get a Zenesis again, and I won't recommend them to anyone else.

That, however was a Zenesis. Sounds like yours might be better.

Good luck with the installation. Check out stealthcaralarm if/when you do the install.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                  I'm heavily regretting my Zenesis alarm.

I wrote up a short review in my member's ride page which I'll quote here for the sake of laziness.

That, however was a Zenesis. Sounds like yours might be better.

Good luck with the installation. Check out stealthcaralarm if/when you do the install.
                  This manual isn't fancy, just black on white, no slick cover, but it is clearly written, I don't see any bad grammar, the printing is straight and easy to read. Their website was nicely done, they have a corporate office in the States, they sent me a three page document on which wires were where and what colors they are, I had to look up my last one myself.

Nice find on the stealth alarm. It gave me a couple different ideas. I'm pretty good at stealth installs, but it took me a couple to figure out.

Comment

I want something like this, then put in my own trunk popper.
                    wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                      I want something like this, then put in my own trunk popper.
                      It's an add on for this model alarm.

Comment

sounds like a keeper..... btw..... did you ever get to see how loud it is??
                        DELTA CAM GROUP BUY
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbCQuhAnNcla gringa pt.1
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMz-F2saG_ola gringa pt.2

Comment

tell me where u live i'll blast my subs see if i can't activate your alarm

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

I got it installed tonight. My brilliant mechanic buddy came over as I was prepping, picked up the new siren and touched the wires to the battery terminals to see how loud it is. The answer is: DAMN LOUD!!! The only bad thing is that I messed up the display on the remote somehow. It's got a tiny crack in the face now, and part of the display doesn't work. I think it happened in my pocket because it was just fine. The shock sensor has two LEDs inside the smoked housing (I thought it was black) that act as an impact indicator (they light up like an EQ indicator does). Cool, but how often are you in the car to watch it?

Comment

cool so that blue led in your signature? is that for your alarm?

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Working...
                              X