CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
zedjr10
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 877
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
drivers door lock lever doesn't work when cold

My auto locks works good on passengers door but on drivers door it works not as well the colder it is. If it is 80 degrees outside the door lock lever works fine on drivers door when using power locks but if it is 20 degrees it takes a few times or flat out doesn't lock or unlock. I am assuming it is the contact points need cleaning in the box(i forget what it is called) behind the door panel right in front and below the lock itself. Just need some confirmation i guess. Anyone?
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 58
Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
It may also help to lube the rod and lock mechanism. The actuator may be gunked up and dirty enough to cause a problem in the cold. Time to take the door apart and have a look at everything.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
zedjr10
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 877
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
It may also help to lube the rod and lock mechanism. The actuator may be gunked up and dirty enough to cause a problem in the cold. Time to take the door apart and have a look at everything.
I have already had it apart when i put a new lock lever in it. I have just been monitoring it for last few months. It has nothing to do with the rods. They slide fine. I thought it could be the locking mechanism or the relay box behind door panel. Am leaning towards relay box and dirty contacts as i have read others have had this same issue with very similar conditions. Anyone with same issue?
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 58
Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Have you tried bypassing the relay and supplying 12V directly to the lock motor? That would be a good step if you think the relay is bad.




Do you have access to a service manual?

Last edited by Ghostwhite; 01-15-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
zedjr10
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 877
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Have you tried bypassing the relay and supplying 12V directly to the lock motor? That would be a good step if you think the relay is bad.

Do you have access to a service manual?
i have a honda service manual. I did test the actuator itself months ago after i replaced broke lever. Led me to believe nothing was wrong with the actuator itself. I then decided to just watch it for a while. I did read some people had similar problem and they just had to resolder connections inside of relay. Am wondering if it is that. I could probably get this easily from junkyard but resoldering would probably be easier. I thought for a bit it was bad ground possibly or weak voltage from battery as that how it acts. Works fine when it is relatively warm inside of car. I will clean and check solder contacts and see what happens. Not that hard to do i guess. Just nice to be confident in doing something for a reason.

btw, i am not sure if i did try that or not a few months ago. Good thing to try when i have it door panel off. Thanks.

Last edited by zedjr10; 01-16-2020 at 12:49 PM.
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 58
Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
i have a honda service manual. I did test the actuator itself months ago after i replaced broke lever. Led me to believe nothing was wrong with the actuator itself. I then decided to just watch it for a while. I did read some people had similar problem and they just had to resolder connections inside of relay. Am wondering if it is that. I could probably get this easily from junkyard but resoldering would probably be easier. I thought for a bit it was bad ground possibly or weak voltage from battery as that how it acts. Works fine when it is relatively warm inside of car. I will clean and check solder contacts and see what happens. Not that hard to do i guess. Just nice to be confident in doing something for a reason.

btw, i am not sure if i did try that or not a few months ago. Good thing to try when i have it door panel off. Thanks.
Ah, I see now. All these steps were covered the first time you made this exact thread.

I don't want to dissuade you from posting or asking questions but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to continue commenting/updating the first thread so that everyone can see what steps have already been offered.

Drivers door lever acts wierd with ignition off
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
zedjr10
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 877
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Ah, I see now. All these steps were covered the first time you made this exact thread.

I don't want to dissuade you from posting or asking questions but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to continue commenting/updating the first thread so that everyone can see what steps have already been offered.

Drivers door lever acts wierd with ignition off
Well sort of. Except that below 40 degrees it acts up and above 60 degrees it acts perfect. I took out the relay box today and insides look fine so am going back to it being the actuator. I had sort of forgotten i had another post on issue. Now things are coming back to me. haha.
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 58
Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Retest it in the cold, if the actuator is filled with grease like most are it may act differently in the cold than in the heat. Chances are the grease is full of wear particles and is mostly sludge from age.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
zedjr10
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 877
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Retest it in the cold, if the actuator is filled with grease like most are it may act differently in the cold than in the heat. Chances are the grease is full of wear particles and is mostly sludge from age.
The actuator i remember is not a part i can rebuild easily is it?
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #10
fleetw00d
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 2,851
fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
The actuator i remember is not a part i can rebuild easily is it?
That's something I've never attempted. I your situation, I'd get one from a salvage yard (working or not). If it works, great, install it. If not, tear it apart to figure out how it works and what can go wrong with it, then you can attempt to fix the one in the car. If you install a good one, tear the old apart to diagnose and/or fix it for when the installed one goes bad.

PS: I may have one if you're interested, but if may be the only spare I have for Ruby.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
zedjr10
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 877
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
That's something I've never attempted. I your situation, I'd get one from a salvage yard (working or not). If it works, great, install it. If not, tear it apart to figure out how it works and what can go wrong with it, then you can attempt to fix the one in the car. If you install a good one, tear the old apart to diagnose and/or fix it for when the installed one goes bad.

PS: I may have one if you're interested, but if may be the only spare I have for Ruby.
I went to junkyard today and took one out of a 2 door 92 coupe. Harder to find these cars in junkyards. Sedans are common. Got me some effn fog lights too. Gotta look up some threads on cleaning these babies up and making them shine. Am assuming i have to take lens off to do this.
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #12
PhatAccord
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 627
PhatAccord is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to PhatAccord
Chances are that the motor inside the door lock actuator is worn. I’ve had that happen to me a few times over many years throughout the old Honda’s I’ve had/have. You can either take apart the motor from a Cb7 at the junk yard and swap it over into your car. Or get the correct door lock actuator itself.
PhatAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.