subwoofer possibly causing poor speaker performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

subwoofer possibly causing poor speaker performance

I have to 10 inch 300 watt subs in a ported enclosure.

About a week ago I noticed that the enclosure would tip on its side all the time from the slightest corner. I then placed both subs laying down with both ports facing the back seat and the woofers themselves pointing straight up towards the the rear deck.

My concern is would the shock waves and vibrations cause the rear 6.5 inch speakers to not preform as the should?
    visit vgruk

Yes the vibrations will affect the rear deck speakers. The rear deck speakers create sound by moving the cone with their own power. Any movement caused by air pressure, other sound waves , or the rear deck itself would be considered distortion. It's basically going to happen with subs in the trunk but you should do what you can to keep it minimal.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

^^^x2

Try to keep your deck speakers crossed over so it isn't playing the same frequencies as the sub.

Also the direction of the sub won't affect your deck speakers like you think. It will, however, affect the phase of the reflections. This means that it will be "louder" in one area of the car vs another.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I know my amp has a phase switch but if I switch it to 0 from 180 the sub goes quiet
        visit vgruk

Comment

I would recommend only hitting the phase switch with the amp off. It's possible that the speaker location effects the volume when you switch the phase. I know you said ported but is it a band pass enclosure? I think the biggest concern would be wearing out the 6.5 inch speakers in the deck because they are getting tossed around like rag dolls.

Comment

No its not a bandpass.

So how exactly should I go about fixing the problem? I have no clue where to start
            visit vgruk

Comment

When the sub goes quiet it's out of phase with another wave. Keep it where it sounds the best.

Have you seen the foam speaker enclosures? They will help attenuate some of that pressure from the sub.

Link:
              http://www.parts-express.com/xtc-6-1...m_campaign=pla
              Last edited by sonikaccord; 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM. Reason: Added link

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I will look into that. Thanks for the help
                visit vgruk

Comment

As far as fixing the interference for the 6.5 speakers I would build an enclosure for them that hangs down from the rear deck. Maybe start with something from the junk yard like maximas have.

Comment

Working...
                  X