Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper installation of a roll cage into the CB chassis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper installation of a roll cage into the CB chassis.

I was told at a previous meet that installing a roll cage if properly done would make the chassis more rigid. Whats the "proper way" of installing a roll cage?
    visit vgruk

having a professional shop do it
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

/\ yep.

Nothing bolt-in is proper. It has to be formed to fit the car well, and welded to heavily reinforced (boxed) areas of the body of the car.

This is a proper cage, if a bit overkill for what you're talking about: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-V-part-2.aspx Notice the high-quality welds, precisely notched tubes, multiple attachment points, and good design of the layout.

Also, it's not a good idea to weld a cage into a car you ever intend on driving without a helmet, as it makes the car more dangerous. A good roll cage should come fairly close to your head to protect it in case of, well, a rollover. Since a giant, solid, metal bar will be that close to your head, even a small impact or even bump in the road can seriously hurt you or kill you when you crack your skull against it.

if you just want the car more rigid, there are suspension braces you can buy, or you can stitch-weld the chassis everywhere two pieces of metal come together. That would be your best option.
      Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 03-11-2014, 09:42 PM.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

don't they wrap the metal bars with rubber for safety ?!

Comment

Awesome guys. Thanks for the info
          visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
            don't they wrap the metal bars with rubber for safety ?!
            That will not be close enough to protect without a helmet, but is better than nothing.
            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Your bare head won't even feel that foam/rubber in a crash...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

You will want to use racing harnesses with a cage, it limits the movement your head can move and keeps you in the seat.

Comment

Working...
                X