help me with a non starting accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me with a non starting accord

Hi all. I'm new to this board so forgive my ignorance. Tried a search but got zip...

This is for my brother's 92 Accord EX 4dr AT. It has worked normally until last saturday. It will not start. Engine turns over, sometimes it will stay on for 10 seconds or so (sounds like completely normal start up) and then it will die. No engine codes. Battery fully charged. Replaced main relay with junkyard part, no change. I can only hear a click, click when turning the ignition to the II position from the fuel filler. Shouldn't I hear a hum sound from pump or is it just a click click? Spark is good from coil to the distributor cap. There is new spark plugs. No loose vacuum hoses or electrical connectors within sight. I think the ignition switch is ok, since the dash lights and dummy lights all stay on and do not flicker out... Fuel filter has been replaced last year, but I might just fit a new one in, but the spark plugs smell like they are getting gas on them when I take them out after cranking.

Please I need some more ideas to check for things or what a normal fuel pump should sound like. I think the problem lies in the fuel system since my brother likes to run the tank dry until the car quits and has to be filled by a spare gas can. But why would the plugs smell like gas then? Also I removed the test hole on the fuel rail and there is some fuel in there...

I do have a Helms factory manual and also a Chiltons, so I will be looking through those tonight... Thanks for your time.

Chris

you should hear a hum.

Comment

the click from the dash and the hum is fromt he II is the main relay/fuel pump working.

does it still turn on? mine was dying sometimes after starting and i replaced the distributor and it fired on right away. check cap and rotor?

maybe the plugs smell like gas because it isnt completely combusting all the fuel?
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

It's the relay... uhRRRR.

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I will be checking these things this morning.

So the fuel pump IS supposed to hum when it is on right? All I get is a "click click" when I listen to the fuel filler as described in the helms manual. To me it doesn't sound right compared to other cars, usually their fuel pumps make a hum sound...

I did replace the main relay with another one but maybe that one is bad also. I guess I will just break down and buy a new one instead.

Comment

and why is your name fennec, are you into those animals or what, i had 2 and thought they were cool......if not, oh well, thought it may have a meaning
            Haha yeah not many people know what they are, I figured it was a good screen name to pick since it is uncommon. I have been using that screen name on forums, bulletin boards, and chat rooms since the Internet started booming. ('95, '96 ???)

Comment

Ok, this is what I have done since this morning. I have checked everything related to the ignition system (plugs, wires, ignitor, ignition switch, tdc/cyl sensor, cap, rotor, coil) and it all checks out ok. I pull each spark plug out individual and ground them while cranking and each get a good strong spark. Fuel is definately getting to the rail, I pulled the hose off and it started squirting out when ignition was on. I checked the resistance on the injectors and also on the injector resistors and they check out fine.

What worries me is that if I wiggle the injectors, fuel squirts out the sides. That means the pressure is too high right? Also the spark plugs have fouled VERY quickly, they are brand new, right now they are pitch black. I have checked the cam timing, that is ok. I have tried starting with the distributor fully advanced and also fully retarded and that doesn't help.

So either their is too much fuel getting in (injectors stuck or too much pressure), not enough air (i took the intake off no help), or the compression is fuct (gonna do a compression test tonight). Please any more ideas welcome... could a fried ECU cause this or perhaps one of the sensors???
              I'm buying a new fpr and fuel filter tonight also...

Comment

Sometimes the fuel pump goes bad and pushes TOO much fuel. My 91 did this and pushed 78psi all the time. I bought a new regulator and did nothing. Bought a new fuel pump and it fixed the problem. You need to just do a fuel pressure test first.
                I live my life a quarter mile at a time. . . for those 56.7 seconds my Nike Shox are are laying the rubber to the asphalt. (Car to be born soon, should drop quarter times to about 15 secs or less SOHC all motor).

Comment

Is the main relay location the same for all 4th generation Accords? I called the dealer parts dept. and they told me for a 90 Accord, its located above the in dash fuse box near the kick panel. I looked, but no sight of it.

Is the provided main relay replacement link pertain to all 4th generation Accords?

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...l/bl_hmr_9.htm

I am hesitant to take to shop because they might damage something while replacing it.

Comment

From another site.... try it,

I have been a Honda/Acura technician for 23 years. Without checking anything you have either of 2 problems or both, main relay located left side upper part of the dash but this usually gives you a sympton when hot inside cab. It will start and then after a few seconds die. There is a way to "wake up" the relay by turning the key on so dash lights come on and off 5-8 times. On the 8th time, turn it over and see if it starts. This is not full proof, but the easiest for you to check out. Second, inside the distributor you have an internal coil, and electronic module, I would replace both because 1 will cause the other to fail. You may want to also consider to replace the distributor rotor, it is a few more dollars and it will prevent you from having a problem. PS: The coil is black, if you look at it closely, you may see a rainbow color in certain areas this is an indication of overheating. Have a nice day.

Comment

I'm pretty sure right now it is not the main relay. I am leaning more towards a fuel problem where it is getting TOO MUCH fuel. I know it is getting spark and voltage is getting to the pump when I turn the ignition on. I haven't really been working on this car until I get a fuel pressure tester which is on order. It won't get here until wednesday. Thanks for the help guys. I will post when everything gets sorted out.

Comment

i say it is the igniter. i had the same problem with mine, spark and all checked out, but the spark was a bit weak. got the igniter and ran fine till today.

Comment

I would have to agree i had all these same symptoms and it was a igniter problem car broke down one day after a few minutes started right up something with hot and cold i thought but did it over and over several times thought it was relay opened the glove box and found receipts saying relay dist cap and rotor and plugs and wires timing belt all had been replaced at same time .. soo had to leave car on road over night got it towed in morning cause it still didnt start and after coming on here talked to MR honda He knows all man told me it sounds like a igniter after talkin to him a few times i got one off a freind and opened my dist took the whole thing off the car rebuilt it on kitchen table on newspaper and popped it back in whole thing took me about 1/2 hr 45 minutes put it back in and cars runs great
                          hope this helps .....................
                          Fore Sale" My Ride "Best Time To Date 14.9 @ 94 MPH ...

Comment

It turns out it was the fuel filter. It was all plugged up and not flowing good. I changed this out about a year ago but I guess it was not enough to offset my brother's bad fueling habits. Thanks for the help guys! (maybe I can convince my brother to get a h22 swap...!!!)

p.s. c'mon guys not the ignitor, I checked the spark many times, it had a very strong spark, very visible at noon on a very bright day... gawd

Comment

ty so much. Now, i should get my fuel filter changed A.S.A.P

Comment

Working...
                              X