No announcement yet.

Your Financial Mistake Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't even think about the mod stuff. In that case, my CB is already a huge mistake. It's been a while since I've looked at my budget, but my engine alone will cost around $11k by the time I'm done with it, and the car it's going into will never be worth more than around $2k. And I'm taking that project so much further still. I'll never see any of that money back. It's the same feeling I have toward the NSX, though: it's all about how I enjoy these things. I've had the current Mustang GT on my mind a lot lately, but then I remember NSXs go for the same price on the low end, and I'm not ready for that car yet... but I know I'd enjoy owning it more than the Mustang despite being significantly slower.

I don't feel the NSX is a car you can buy for its performance merits anymore. You either have a strong personal attachment to it, or you're in it for the investment, if that window hasn't already closed. Too many are back near the car's original sticker price.
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-04-2017, 04:42 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

An nsx is a good one. It would hardly be nostalgia for me. It would be a dope retro super car/ daily driver. I would have a wardrobe of stonewashed jeans and neon baggy muscle shirts. Only if a bank would give a good interest rate on a 20 year old car with 100000+ miles I would check all the boxes.
      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Install a DVD player so you can watch Saved By the Bell on the go?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
          Paid cash, spent money I didn't want to spend on parts I told myself I wouldn't buy.
          I think this sums up most car enthusiasts' attitude

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            Install a DVD player so you can watch Saved By the Bell on the go?
            Sorta like that, more the vibe than actually doing that, mostly all stock old school. Kinda like having a cb7 in good condition. I used to get a lot of "that's a cool car, so retro" with my cb. I would laugh on the inside. Aside from that the nsx like the cb is sorta timeless in design.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

when i think nsx, i think pulp fiction.

talk about nostalgic
              Originally posted by wed3k
              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I wouldn't mind buying one of the newer deloreans that are suppose to be coming out soon. ( just old parts but with a different motor) But couldn't justify the cost of the new ones. Suppose to be shy of $100k with a ~350hp v6.
                Last edited by ol blue; 05-04-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/05/...ercharged-nsx/

... yeah, definitely NSX.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                    So timeless looking!
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I don't care how impressive the new NSX is. If someone offered me a choice, I'd take the old one. Granted, I could just take the new one, sell it for a quick $150,000, and buy three pristine originals!

Comment

The value of the NSX is not the performance numbers, but the balance and the experience of the drive. In the JDM 280HP power cap era, R&D departments were forced to look at the whole car, which bred an engineering and design language dripping with elegance, balance, and simplicity. Curb weights were down, and focus was on the driving experience and chassis dynamics. I believe this is the reason so many say that the golden age of Japanese Auto design and engineering was in the 90s to the early 2ks.

Since then, auto manufacturers have become exceedingly lazy in their pursuit for performance, heaping easy design band-aids and complexities to mask the severely deficient designs bereft of simple, elegant engineering.

If I had an NSX, I would update it with newer technology (j-swap, preferrably the HR28TT), and dump an ungodly amount of time/energy/money into continued development of the car. I would probably have one as a test mule, and the other as the actual modification-integrated driving platform.

Or I would take an 8-series V12 CSi with the manual box, a Z-Tune R34, Or a McLaren F1.

Comment

I kind of want to trade my G for a GTI... just as fast with 50% better gas mileage. But I will get hosed on the trade.

Realistic dream car would be a 997 C2S but that's definitely a stretch. Plus, no torque

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by motohead623 View Post
                            The value of the NSX is not the performance numbers, but the balance and the experience of the drive. In the JDM 280HP power cap era, R&D departments were forced to look at the whole car, which bred an engineering and design language dripping with elegance, balance, and simplicity. Curb weights were down, and focus was on the driving experience and chassis dynamics. I believe this is the reason so many say that the golden age of Japanese Auto design and engineering was in the 90s to the early 2ks.

Since then, auto manufacturers have become exceedingly lazy in their pursuit for performance, heaping easy design band-aids and complexities to mask the severely deficient designs bereft of simple, elegant engineering.

If I had an NSX, I would update it with newer technology (j-swap, preferrably the HR28TT), and dump an ungodly amount of time/energy/money into continued development of the car. I would probably have one as a test mule, and the other as the actual modification-integrated driving platform.

Or I would take an 8-series V12 CSi with the manual box, a Z-Tune R34, Or a McLaren F1.
                            I wouldn't buy an NSX for performance numbers. A 2018 Camaro SS could blow it out the water numbers-wise.

You also have to consider the market, legality, safety etc. of those things back in the 90s. Completely different beast here in 2017.

I'd be willing to bet that today's engineers work much harder for stock performance than they did back then. Just the fact that they have to pack so much into these vehicles and still come out with impressive track times is testament to how far we have come.

Also, I'd be willing to bet with new material development and manufacturing processes that cars' chassis are simpler than they were in the 90's. Engineers don't add stuff just because, and they will take away what's not necessary to appease the bean counters.

Torque-vectoring, hybrid drive, DI, aero, FEA/CAD...there has been tons done to improve vehicle performance. I'll start a new thread on this topic...I don't think we have a "new vs old" thread.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I may have found something of a 'poor man's alternative' to the NSX, from a brand I didn't even think to look into. A Porsche Cayman S (987) with roughly 55k miles is currently going for mid-$20,000s right now. That's about what a clean used Evo/STi asks. Since the collector market doesn't care about a Porsche that isn't a 911 or some sort of classic, they may even depreciate a bit more still. I got a quote to add one to my insurance, and the increase would actually be less than what my RSX is currently costing me under full coverage. They seem to be as reliable as any Honda as well.

Personally, the 987's got just about every quality that attracts me to the NSX: gorgeous looks (I'd change a few things), MR drivetrain, NA six-cylinder, outstanding handling. Parts prices are no doubt steep because of the badge when something does break, but when you've got something else to drive, parking the car for a bit to afford them might be worth the hassle. I'm seriously considering straightening some things out over the next few years to pick one up.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Best and worst decision ever.

I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                                X