Tie rod grinding on rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie rod grinding on rim

so recently I went back to 6 spoke oem alloys. and on right turns my tie rod grinds on my rim.
    Im guessing because its a duralast one or what could be going on here and im assuming that the poly conversion prevents wear and I can rebuild a j.y tie rod any ideas it sounds bad and started when I went back to tge 15's from my 16's and only does it on the right side

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Originally posted by schierholz View Post
    so recently I went back to 6 spoke oem alloys. and on right turns my tie rod grinds on my rim.
    Im guessing because its a duralast one or what could be going on here and im assuming that the poly conversion prevents wear and I can rebuild a j.y tie rod any ideas it sounds bad and started when I went back to tge 15's from my 16's and only does it on the right side
    I seen a Eric the Car Guy video on this issue once but it was because they ran into a curb, bent the tie rod and some other parts. Wasn't noticable visually but when making turns it would grind against the wheel.

So my guess is that something is bent. Is it only one side that does this?

Comment

I'm not even sure if the wheel would physically fit like this but are the tie rod ends mixed up? I mean maybe a drivers is on the pass side? They should both arc away from the rim and towards the front of the car.

Comment

I replaced them as according L stamped and R stamped is the supposed to be play in the rods mabe they are over tight? needless to say they grinding on the right side but nothing on the left I will look at it when I drop my tranny fluid to try to save my jerking and slamming tranny

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
        Do it once, do it right.
        Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
        Missing My
        White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
        Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Originally posted by schierholz View Post
          I replaced them as according L stamped and R stamped is the supposed to be play in the rods mabe they are over tight? needless to say they grinding on the right side but nothing on the left I will look at it when I drop my tranny fluid to try to save my jerking and slamming tranny
          I had the same exact problem with my tie rods and they ended up being mixed up from left to right, Always remember the left side of the car is drivers side, try switching them around and remeber to align your car after.

Comment

Bump.

I have the same exact problem but on the driverside and only at full turn/lock. It's like the steering wheel pops over and lets the wheel grind. I'm on 15's and it didn't do it until the new rack and Energy bushings. It grinds against the tie rod bushings on mine and I thought about just running a smaller bushing but doubt that would fix it. I've had it aligned more than once and have camber but still have the same problem. So hopefully together and with the forum we can figure this out.
            90 LX (R.I.P.) http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=137301
            91 EX (DD) http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142483

Comment

i had that problem when i ran the bb4 Si blades the clip on weights would get hit and be ground off. but it was due to the fact of the offset of the wheels. to remedy that i would rebalance with stick on weights and never had the issue again... or u can run some 5mm spacers. but need to keep an eye on the wheel studs..
              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

compare the offset of your two wheels. to remedy the problem you will need spacers ( and possibly extended studs depending on which route you choose )
                frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Working...
                X