Move on/up or stay with the CB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move on/up or stay with the CB?

I love My CB, I enjoy driving it, And I have fun in it generally.

I've honestly been considering selling it for the last month for several reasons - It's now 17 years old, Its drinks the gas faster than I can drink water (mind you thats just a part of the fun of being turbo) and in all honestly, recently I've driven it less than twice a month for the last 4 months, Lastly there is a decent amount of money tied up in the CB, and I know if I keep it I will only spend more on it., or it will sit in the garage being used only occasionally.

I love the facts that it was hand built by myself - I.e no no-one else has worked on the car other than me since i got it stock 2.5 years ago, the power it has, the experiences I've had in it, and the on-going potential it has.

I do look up to the CB's such as "Boost Lee, Chessboxer, and Hondafan81" just to name a couple (there are Soooo many more as well , so don't be offended if I diddn't mention you). And I take into consideration the $/time/effort and sleepless nights that has gone into those cars (I know I've had my fair share)

Atm I can't picture my CB leaving my driveway being driven by someone else, but the reality seems to be coming closer as I think about the potential of selling it.

I really wanted to hit 400whp as a daily driver before I sold it just for the experience, but its beginning to feel like I'm fighting a losing battle - The only gain that will realistically come from that is personal experience. It won't make the car any more valuable, nor anymore sellable IMO.

Your guys thoughts?
    Keep it as is?
    Keep it and contine with my future plans?
    Sell it, and decide what to do from there?
    Last edited by evil_demon_01; 05-15-2009, 08:51 AM.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

you will most likely mod your next ride, get one that is safer than the cb7 and one that can hit those numbers more easily/cheaply, won't be hard to do, and enjoy more gas guzzling fun

I wouldn't sell it as a whole, you won't even get a fraction of a percent of what it's worth. Even less than that of what you put into it.

Parting out is the best way to get a little back. And would make it easier to part with in the end.
    ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
      you will most likely mod your next ride, get one that is safer than the cb7 and one that can hit those numbers more easily/cheaply, won't be hard to do, and enjoy more gas guzzling fun

I wouldn't sell it as a whole, you won't even get a fraction of a percent of what it's worth. Even less than that of what you put into it.

Parting out is the best way to get a little back. And would make it easier to part with in the end.
      Parting out isn't really an option due to the lack of demand for the parts.
      Admitidely gas guzzling will always be a factor, for any car I decide to mod particularly seeing as my next car in mind is a V8 commodore ute

Safer is always a concern obviously (airbags, crumplezones etc), though not right at the top of the list.
      Mind you moving up to a commodore also means laying out more $ than the CB is currently worth obviously, which could be considered as going backwards.

Agreed It would make it somewhat easier to part if the parts were removed, though I still have the feeling I will regret selling it.
      All my mates have said to me if you really miss it THAT much you can build another one later on if you really want to which make sence - it would cost less due to previous mistakes during this build, the current experience, and the ability to upgrade over my current build.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I've owned 2 CBs before, and my second one felt totally different. My car is MY car... it may be just like a million others, but there's something about it that makes it unique. The feel, the smell, etc...

I've owned more powerful cars. I've owned newer cars. Nicer cars. But in the end, I still love my CB7 dearly, and I couldn't imagine parting with it.

That's how I stand on my own. If you don't have the love for it anymore, then maybe it's time to move on, but honestly, if you move on, there's no going back. Whoever you sell it to will never appreciate it the way you do. They'll abuse it, and it won't be yours again.

Comment

I'd hate to see it go, but I can understand completely how you feel. I've tried to sell my car a couple of times now, and each time, I realize that the only thing anyone wants to trade is a mini truck or $87, neither of which is worth it to me.

Those of us who value these cars are a select few, and unless you have a nationally known cb7, then chances of selling it for what its worth are slim to none it seems.

We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
          2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
          2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

I love my car and have honestly put too much work into it to sell it. I would like an early 90's 2door jeep cherokee with a 4.0 litter in it considering i had a 86 with a 2.8 and loved it, just slow as hell. I would keep it.

Comment

When I had the balljoint mishap, I was contemplating on parting it out, or selling it off. But since the car is now almost 20 years old (it will be 20 come October), the used value of the car is just a joke.

A JDM H22a halfcut costs 3/4 the price of my CB1, and it's almost impossible to insure now, since the government just introduced a 'voluntary' scrapping scheme for cars above 15 years.

My solution: keep and maintain the CB, but get myself another daily driver. I do have a gas-sipping DD right now, but I also have another H22a DD come the end of the month

The CB is due for a major facelift/revamp/timingbelt change in a few months (rust, oil leaks). I need to save up for it, but itchy hands cant keep away from awesome JDM wheels for the EuroR and the Absolute

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
              Honda Accord Euro-R
              Honda Odyssey Absolute
              Honda City I-DSi
              Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                I've owned 2 CBs before, and my second one felt totally different. My car is MY car... it may be just like a million others, but there's something about it that makes it unique. The feel, the smell, etc...

I've owned more powerful cars. I've owned newer cars. Nicer cars. But in the end, I still love my CB7 dearly, and I couldn't imagine parting with it.

That's how I stand on my own. If you don't have the love for it anymore, then maybe it's time to move on, but honestly, if you move on, there's no going back. Whoever you sell it to will never appreciate it the way you do. They'll abuse it, and it won't be yours again.

move on. you'll either appreciate what you had, or love what you get after your cb. it doesnt hurt to try new flavors.

i bought my prelude i can definitely feel a weight difference (heavier), but i love how it feels inside, and out.

I miss my old car, but i don't regret selling it nor i am going to be back in the cb game. im glad my car went to a good owner. the new owner has gold bbs rims on the car now and being maintained well.

Comment

I love the Si (Ok chessboxer, it is a FUN little car).

But still, everytime I get in the CB it just still feels like a fun car to me. It needs some more stuff to even be as capable as the Civic stock, but that is one of the fun parts of the project.

As for something new, I think if I were in your neck of the woods I would definitely get a Falcon FPV Typhoon. Those things are just SOOOO badass. The Holdens are cool too, but the Falcon is just on a level above them. IMO.

Anyway, if it isn't a deciding factor in you being able to get something else, I would probably just hang onto it. It isn't worth much, you won't be able to recreate it, and you should be 100% sure you want it gone before you let it go, otherwise you are likely to end up regretting it.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

pass it down to a family member, thats wut i had in mind

that way u can always be able to see it

Comment

Sell it.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

keep it
                        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Alot of very valid replies

I think I will have to have a really good think about it and decide whats best longterm.

I have considered storing it at my parents place for a few years so that no extra work is done on it, and also means I don't have to pay insurance, maintenance or licencing on it. Which means I could come back to it at any stage.
                          That would mean I could replace my current DD to something newer/safer.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                            Alot of very valid replies

I think I will have to have a really good think about it and decide whats best longterm.

I have considered storing it at my parents place for a few years so that no extra work is done on it, and also means I don't have to pay insurance, maintenance or licencing on it. Which means I could come back to it at any stage.
                            That would mean I could replace my current DD to something newer/safer.
                            Here is a good idea too. Get something new, but hang onto the Accord. Park it for a couple of weeks and drive only your new car. If you get into the Accord and it does nothing for you, then it is probably OK to get rid of it. If you find yourself smiling because you still enjoy driving it, then don't get rid of it. That was the problem I had. I didn't think it would do anything for me, but I still like driving it.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                              Here is a good idea too. Get something new, but hang onto the Accord. Park it for a couple of weeks and drive only your new car. If you get into the Accord and it does nothing for you, then it is probably OK to get rid of it. If you find yourself smiling because you still enjoy driving it, then don't get rid of it. That was the problem I had. I didn't think it would do anything for me, but I still like driving it.
                              My solution as well..

Seriously Colin, once you get hooked to car, especially a car you've worked on yourself, it's VERY hard to let go.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                              Honda Accord Euro-R
                              Honda Odyssey Absolute
                              Honda City I-DSi
                              Honda Stream

Comment

Working...
                              X