Reversed Head H22's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
    yea...im not going to wast my money on this. there is no room for turbo and they only thing that would binifit from this is a n/a build... now thats like what like $2000 for the head reversal. oh and dont forget the 20 degrees cooler! BUT THEN about $1800. the h22 does about at MAX 190hp to the wheels. but then add the 20 degrees cooler, we will add a few just for luck sooooo what are we at. 192hp to the wheels. oh yea the itbs. ok +10hp. SO lets add it all now.

H2.2 = 190 hp
    dumb idea = 2 hp
    itb's = 10 hp

now you just being a silly nilly

H 2.2 Stock = 170hp (we are being realistic now!)= 0$
    nice turbo kit = 60hp = 1200$

so 3800$ for + 12hp
    or 1200$ for + 60hp
    I see your point, but builds like these are not taking money into consideration. Its the ingenuity; but I do agree with you...would I do it? No, but I really appreciate the work they put into it. It opens up the scene to more unique builds, hence the plateau it can reach with everyone doing the same shit...

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

I thought the head was reversed to tuck the motor way back in the engine bay to make the Accord a mid-engine front-wheel-drive 2.0L entry to JTCC. I also always thought they flipped the whole motor, but just noticed today the cams are on the same side as a regular CD6.

In the right market, a JTCC Accord replica at auction may make it worth it in the end to flip the H22 head. In fact, reversing the H22 head may be a key component in such a build as it would lend immeasurable authenticity to the replica.
      Last edited by James Matteu; 10-13-2010, 12:55 PM.
      1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
      C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
      MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
      ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
      You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

yea...im not going to wast my money on this. there is no room for turbo and they only thing that would binifit from this is a n/a build... now thats like what like $2000 for the head reversal. oh and dont forget the 20 degrees cooler! BUT THEN about $1800. the h22 does about at MAX 190hp to the wheels. but then add the 20 degrees cooler, we will add a few just for luck sooooo what are we at. 192hp to the wheels. oh yea the itbs. ok +10hp. SO lets add it all now.

H2.2 = 190 hp
        dumb idea = 2 hp
        itb's = 10 hp

so 3800$ for + 12hp
        or 1200$ for + 60hp
        i see what you did there....BUT

lets think about this logically.

If a person was to actually do this for a street car (which i highly doubt anyone on here will be, dont hold me to that) they would probably do PLENTY of other supporting mods since i wouldnt think money would be an issue. And you keep mentioning turbo likes its the end all be all, but for this situation it was meant for N/A with and ITB setup to create the ram air affect. The person doing this would most likely resleeve the block, knife-edge the crank, use aftermarket rods, high comp pistons, have custom cams made for the new setup, adjustable cam gears, upgraded valvetrain, etc.

The JTCC accord made over 300hp when it was being used. That is a good amount of power for a FWD vehicle to road race with and if you have bothered to look at the videos of it you'd see that the throttle response this setup gives the car is nuts, its not laggy like a turbo setup.

My Members Ride Thread
        Originally posted by deevergote
        You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

H2.2 = 190 hp
          dumb idea = 2 hp
          itb's = 10 hp

so 3800$ for + 12hp
          or 1200$ for + 60hp
          Where do you get $2,000 for doing a head reversal? And where the hell does the other $1800 come from? I seriously doubt it would cost that much.

Yes a turbo might be more cost efficient, but there are pros and cons to each setup. On top of that, you're calling an idea, conjured up by Honda racing teams in both Japan and Britain, silly nilly? It's serious engineering.

Comment

SMH.... did this really turn into a debate?

Anyone want to take a guess at how much R&D, I.E. time&money went into squeezing 300hp RELIABLY out of this engine, N/A? Not to mention the overall idea and turning it into a reality? Im guessing more than your average joe's yearly income.....roughly.

The origional JTTC cars in which this specific setup in "debate" pertains, were hundreds of thousand of dollars a piece, if not more......had teams and teams and teams of engineers working on the ideas and turning them into realities.

Granted, you can switch the head, do your custom cams/etc, but will it net you anywhere near 300whp? eff no! Just by looking a the pics of the engines you can see dry sump oil systems along with an array of other one-off completely unique/custom (most likely hand-fabricated) components..... Take for instance the header, how many versions do you think they went through until they landed on that specific design? How much time will you be willing to spend on it?? Now whats that logically tell you about the rest of the setup that you CANT see.....? exaaaaactly.....

Dont get me wrong, in its day (and even still) its extremely impressive. BUT, with technology what its become since those days, other options on the market/etc. its simply NOT worth it.....nore will the average joe-schmoe be able to duplicate the performance the JTCC team was able to (without of course hiring one of the engineers to tackle the task.....but then again you wouldnt exactly be the normal guy if you had the means to do that now, would you?)....plain and simple.
            '92 h22 CBMRT-->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158641

UNICORNS=donkeys with plungers stuck to their faces...

Comment

A marvel of an engine/racing technology it is.

I know a Prelude owner who built the shyt out of an H23 VTEC bored to 2.6L and making 291WHP and 190WTQ. All this on a Euro-R tranny that had to be custom geared and strengthened to handle that power.

This beast of a motor where talking about makes more power with JUST 2.0L for fack sakes. You would have an extremely hard time getting this much useable power from an N/A H22 no matter what the fack you do to it.

I agree tho, for one of us to built this motor to spec is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                Where do you get $2,000 for doing a head reversal? And where the hell does the other $1800 come from? I seriously doubt it would cost that much.

Yes a turbo might be more cost efficient, but there are pros and cons to each setup. On top of that, you're calling an idea, conjured up by Honda racing teams in both Japan and Britain, silly nilly? It's serious engineering.
                Hes a noob man what do you expect lol.
                So yes the head reversal is possible. I wish you good luck with it and keep us updated. I want videos haha. and dyno sheets also!

Comment

thats about what it will cost, and all of the adjustment required, also i researched and the medium quality itb's are at leased $1800-$4000.
                  ok and you make a point. 300hp is nice. take into account all of the motor building it will take to get the motor up to that, add another $2000 to get the motor built so yea...

flip your head = $2000 = 180hp (still...)
                  get some itbs = $1800 = 200hp (never the less nice!)
                  custom ram air box = $1000 = 210hp (guessing)
                  order high comp parts = $2000 = 300hp (thanks for the reminder!)
                  +
                  ________
                  $6800 for what exactly? (im confused)

now park her and only take her out on the weekends and well...when its not raining and FORGET about the snow...

or do a mild h22 build and turbo for 1/3 the price OR for 1/4 the price nitrous build and both will have WAY MORE potential then...flipping a head. or something...i guess

sorry i mean its cool if your into show cars and a week end road race but not with my wallet. or my time.

Comment

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
                    Hes a noob man what do you expect lol.
                    So yes the head reversal is possible. I wish you good luck with it and keep us updated. I want videos haha. and dyno sheets also!

dont be mad because im am showing you falts in this.

Comment

Just an FYI, they still build this setup in England. I also know of an Accord for sale for a mere 16,000. Full BTCC spec.

Just saying...

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Go ahead and add tuning costs. Btw most race car motors have to be rebuilt after every race. Performance in one hand and reliability in the other. Good luck. I would like to see it get done. Dont get discouraged. Subscribed!!! Keep brain storming!
                        http://WWW.DUBWISE.NET

My Job!

9DUBWISE 92 LXhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142580

RHD ITR conversionhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172577

Comment

dont be mad because im am showing you falts in this.
                          please, just stop.

Originally posted by 9DUBWISE View Post
                          Btw most race car motors have to be rebuilt after every race.
                          no they dont. even formula one uses the motors for 2-4 races each. sure they do preventative maintenance and check it over, but a complete rebuild after every race usually only happens in top-fuel drag racing.
                          Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 10-13-2010, 05:44 PM.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post

no they dont. even formula one uses the motors for 2-4 races each. sure they do preventative maintenance and check it over, but a complete rebuild after every race usually only happens in top-fuel drag racing.
                            That's pretty dope. I stand corrected. I really thought they wouldn't want to chance having to drop out of a race. They have lots of time and money between races that they could Rebuild and have peace of mind. But thats just me.
                            http://WWW.DUBWISE.NET

My Job!

9DUBWISE 92 LXhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142580

RHD ITR conversionhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172577

Comment

Originally posted by 9DUBWISE View Post
                              That's pretty dope. I stand corrected. I really thought they wouldn't want to chance having to drop out of a race. They have lots of time and money between races that they could Rebuild and have peace of mind. But thats just me.
                              they are limited to 8 engines per season or they likely would switch

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

well ill call harry potter and congratulate him

no but i never said it wasnt a good idea just not for the money and the amount of work that would have to be done when you could do a MAD turbo set up.
                                a MAD n/a setup or the custom super charger set up and get the same power numbers or more. jjjuuuusssttt saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X