Having problem reinstalling Tranny mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having problem reinstalling Tranny mount

I got a manual all stock car. I am replacing all my engine and tranny mounts. Rear tranny mount was a bitch. Next was my tranny mount and it came out ok but reinstalling it has become a bitch. I can't get the mount past the one stud most forward and to the passengers tire. I do remember it being very tight coming out. What is the trick. Loosen the dog mount or drivers side mount?

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
    I got a manual all stock car. I am replacing all my engine and tranny mounts. Rear tranny mount was a bitch. Next was my tranny mount and it came out ok but reinstalling it has become a bitch. I can't get the mount past the one stud most forward and to the passengers tire. I do remember it being very tight coming out. What is the trick. Loosen the dog mount or drivers side mount?

Yep, loosen all mounts. Give the engine some play. Get the rear in first, then passenger, etc. There's no easy answer here, keep fighting. Get a long bar to pull and push the engine how you need to. The sucky part is when you need to tilt the engine by yourself. So lots of jacks and wood to assist.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      Yep, loosen all mounts. Give the engine some play. Get the rear in first, then passenger, etc. There's no easy answer here, keep fighting. Get a long bar to pull and push the engine how you need to. The sucky part is when you need to tilt the engine by yourself. So lots of jacks and wood to assist.
      Ok cool, wanted to make sure before i do something like that. I only have one jack. I did have 3 but 2 blackjack jacks from walmart both failed within a day of each other. I bet loosening that front dog mount will give me what i need. I will found out soon enough. Thanks.

Comment

I forgot to ask. When you say loosen them does that mean take them off. I was planning on removing the upper bolt on dog mount and then loosening the drivers side first.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
          I forgot to ask. When you say loosen them does that mean take them off. I was planning on removing the upper bolt on dog mount and then loosening the drivers side first.
          Just loosen the bolt as much as possible. If removal needed only do half. But you should be able to do
          1. bolts in rear (just not fully tight)
          2. driver side (just not fully tight)
          3. passenger side (just not fully tight - engine movement maybe required)
          4. front..

I always did the front) last. But it involves 'twisting' the engine some weird way. But still easier to get the front last than the rear. Also helps if you keep the engine mount bolts loose too. ie - the bolts that go in the block for the mounts. more wiggle room.

You see where it helps to have multiple jacks, etc. to lift or move it 2mm to the left, etc. But big pry bars and some sweat will do it too.

Comment

Just loosen the bolt as much as possible. If removal needed only do half. But you should be able to do
            1. bolts in rear (just not fully tight)
            2. driver side (just not fully tight)
            3. passenger side (just not fully tight - engine movement maybe required)
            4. front..

I always did the front) last. But it involves 'twisting' the engine some weird way. But still easier to get the front last than the rear. Also helps if you keep the engine mount bolts loose too. ie - the bolts that go in the block for the mounts. more wiggle room.

You see where it helps to have multiple jacks, etc. to lift or move it 2mm to the left, etc. But big pry bars and some sweat will do it too.
            I thought this was going to be soo easy. Guess i was wrong. So i took out the dog mount and engine dropped liked 6 inches or more. I have 1 jack on engine and one on tranny(only have 2 jacks). Which only seems to lift front of car when i jack it up and not engine. I guess i need to loosen bolts on rear and drivers side. I am actually scared to do this now seeing what happened after taking off dog mount. Which i cant get it raised again to put it back on. Do i loosen the long bolt or the bolts on the bracket mount itself? I still need to replace drivers mount also. I am thinking to loosen the bolts on bracket on rear and not the long bolt. Am scared the engine will just fall out or break something.

Comment

Ok i think i got it. I also understand now i think how to change these out. Basically loosen all other short bolts on mounts ur not replacing. Put jack on engine and tranny. Then take out mount u want and replace.

Comment

Something that was causing a big problem i just noticed was motor mount on drivers side has wrong size hole for the stud. The stud has like a spacer that motor slips into. I checked other motor mounts and most brands seem this way. Duralast, oreillys(chinese crap),anchor,westar. The list goes on and on. Chinese shit sucks. So does taiwan crap. I had 2 tranny mounts with bolt splines sticking out and bolt was crooked. That was from taiwan. I can't seem to find a company that doesn't import from china or taiwan.

Comment

I'd go with OEM or poly mounts, etc. Especially with such an important piece. And ya... engine is always a biatch like this to get back in. Doesn't help that the bolts only have to be off by 1mm and they won't thread in. But now you know to have more jacks etc for next time

Comment

I'd go with OEM or poly mounts, etc. Especially with such an important piece. And ya... engine is always a biatch like this to get back in. Doesn't help that the bolts only have to be off by 1mm and they won't thread in. But now you know to have more jacks etc for next time
                    The part has been discontinued for drivers mount. The rear mount is 200 dollars. Holy crap. My car is in pieces. That cheap pos chinese mount. Napa sales balkamp(pioneer). I bet it is still china. I had to put the old drivers side mount back in. It seemed ok actually. No cracks or anything. It is really annoying to not know anymore what is asian or indian until u get part and see made in china on package. Am worried i will be replacing this rear mount again in 6 months. I can't find any poly mounts for rear. Only front dog mount which is an insert. Do u know any american or canadian made mounts?
                    Last edited by zedjr10; 10-26-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X