CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
C-Rod
CB7tuner Member

C-Rod is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to C-Rod Send a message via MSN to C-Rod
Oil?

So I was at Pep Boys the other day and they suggested that I get high mileage oil.. What's the diff? What benefits am I getting?
C-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
batever
CB7tuner Member

batever is cool... so far.
Not sure, some of them have different additives like more detergent and stuff.

If you have a well running Honda engine you probably don't need the high mileage oil. My car has 220k on it and I've never used anything but standard 5w-30 and 10w-40 the whole time. It still gets 30 mpg straight up and doesn't burn a drop of oil (leaks some, though!).

Basically, I guess you could summarize my comment as really being "I have no idea."
batever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
No Name13
CB7tuner Member

No Name13 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rod View Post
So I was at Pep Boys the other day and they suggested that I get high mileage oil.. What's the diff? What benefits am I getting?
mannn, pepboys will tell you anything to get you to spend cash... i was told i needed a camber kit because i had a bit of camber up front. truth was that my shocks had a leak so it got low from the front!
and from what my teachers tell me...as long as you run the oil your suppose to your fine!

oh i forgot to mention im completely stock so no suspension upgrades. lol
No Name13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
F20A CB7
Contributing Member

F20A CB7 seems to have made some friends! F20A CB7 seems to have made some friends!
hi, i changed my oil recently, i used castrol gtx, the guy said oil now is made to last longer than ever, because i asked him about syntethic oil, which 1 should i get even tho i was gonna walk outta there with gtx.. i wanted to see wat he'll say.

i change my oil every 3k.
**Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE
F20A CB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The only problem with synthetic is that it's thinner than conventional oil. If your engine has leaks, synthetic will find them faster. Granted, that's not a problem if your motor is healthy... but if you don't keep an eye on your oil level, it can be a big deal.

High mileage oil is never a bad thing... but to be honest, as long as you maintain your engine, and don't abuse it, regular oil is just fine.
deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Slice One
CB7tuner Member

Slice One is cool... so far.
@ F20A i honestly dont believe it would be safe to start running a car with synthetic oil on a egine with high milage that has been ran on conventional oil in entire life. another thing is you cannot switch back "safely" to conventional oil once synthetic is used. making your oil changes that much more expensive.
@ Op High milage oil benefits your engine by introducing detergents into the system that after being ran a full cycle can clean and better lubricate your engines moving parts. I would say run it if you feel you need to, but i cantell you that if you go to a lub shop like jiffy lub or even wal mart they check your odometer and use the apropriate oil, if its high milage "above 150K" they will use the high milage brand and it doesnt cost more, and if it does its cents on the dollar, not like the difference in cost between synthetic and conventional.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
C91BLX7
CB7tuner Member

C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful
I made the switch to synthetic and im never going back. Opening up the oil cap and seeing its cleaner every time makes me happy.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Tylah93
Newcomer

Tylah93 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Tylah93 Send a message via Yahoo to Tylah93
Yeah, I'm guessing high mileage oil just has more stuff to clean gunk out of your engine. I use Castrol Syntec though. That stuff is beast.
Tylah93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
vdub916
CB7tuner Member

vdub916 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to vdub916 Send a message via MSN to vdub916 Send a message via Yahoo to vdub916
I use Royal Purple, runs like a champ.
vdub916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
J-Tiki
CB7tuner Member

J-Tiki is cool... so far.
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and its great. You definitely get what you pay for. If you want the best get Amsoil..
J-Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
speedfr3ak
CB7tuner Member

speedfr3ak Needs to slide down a razorblade into a pool of alcohol, and then be set on fire. speedfr3ak Needs to slide down a razorblade into a pool of alcohol, and then be set on fire. speedfr3ak Needs to slide down a razorblade into a pool of alcohol, and then be set on fire.
i usally use royal purple but i tried castrol edge and i like it i use that and a k&n filter
i dont know why this popped up but U MAD BRO? not my fault u is FAKE! CLOWN ASS
speedfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
kelton
CB7tuner Member

kelton is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to kelton Send a message via MSN to kelton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice One View Post
@ F20A i honestly dont believe it would be safe to start running a car with synthetic oil on a egine with high milage that has been ran on conventional oil in entire life. another thing is you cannot switch back "safely" to conventional oil once synthetic is used. making your oil changes that much more expensive.
This was really only an issue with early sythetic oils. It would cause the seals to swell and when you added regular mineral oil it would shrink some causing the seal to fail. Now days its really not a big deal. The rumor still floats around though.

And as long as the engine has no leaks switching to synthetic is not going to cause leaks that were not previously there.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
New people click here
kelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
C-Rod
CB7tuner Member

C-Rod is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rod View Post
Thanks to everyone for the info!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
zacatecas
CB7tuner Member

zacatecas is cool... so far.
RP.5-30 with K&N oil filter.perfect.
zacatecas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

bcjammerx seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bcjammerx Send a message via Yahoo to bcjammerx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice One View Post
@ Op High milage oil benefits your engine by introducing detergents into the system that after being ran a full cycle can clean and better lubricate your engines moving parts. I would say run it if you feel you need to, but i cantell you that if you go to a lub shop like jiffy lub or even wal mart they check your odometer and use the apropriate oil, if its high milage "above 150K" they will use the high milage brand and it doesnt cost more, and if it does its cents on the dollar, not like the difference in cost between synthetic and conventional.
you are mistaken...this is an old wives tale.

and NEVER...take your car to wal mart for anything...better than jiffy lube I guess...but...they like to double charge you for everything...you would not notice unless you checked the receipt. They gave us a quote one time for tires, I noticed their charges did not add up to what the total was. They charged twice for things...it is in the total but not on the paperwork.

The ONLY con for todays synthetics is if your seals are old and worn...but if they leak with synthetic oil then it IS beyond time to replace them.

Do not blame your oil for BAD SEALS! Switch to castrol syntec (unlike others...it really is synthetic), change your filter every 5k, and change the oil every 15,000 miles. If you leak oil...replace the worn seals! Common sense really.

I have over 226,000 miles and drive hard...synthetic ftw
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
C-Rod
CB7tuner Member

C-Rod is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjammerx View Post
you are mistaken...this is an old wives tale.

and NEVER...take your car to wal mart for anything...better than jiffy lube I guess...but...they like to double charge you for everything...you would not notice unless you checked the receipt. They gave us a quote one time for tires, I noticed their charges did not add up to what the total was. They charged twice for things...it is in the total but not on the paperwork.

The ONLY con for todays synthetics is if your seals are old and worn...but if they leak with synthetic oil then it IS beyond time to replace them.

Do not blame your oil for BAD SEALS! Switch to castrol syntec (unlike others...it really is synthetic), change your filter every 5k, and change the oil every 15,000 miles. If you leak oil...replace the worn seals! Common sense really.

I have over 226,000 miles and drive hard...synthetic ftw
Thanks!

Tags
high mileage , oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: