CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 05-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
rektilian
Newcomer

rektilian is cool... so far.
Unhappy how much hp can an f22a manual transmission handle?

Hey, new to this forum. I'm 95% sure i'm buying a 1993 Accord coupe tomorrow that has an f22a tranny and f22b engine. My intentions are to buy it and do an H23 vtec swap on it, but will that 197hp be too much for the f22a tranny to handle? Would i need to get a stronger transmission for a swap like that or should the transmission be good?The tranny has a new clutch, new bearings and 165k miles if that info is needed.
And if it is strong enough for the swap, how much hp through mods could i put until the tranny breaks down? I was hoping to mod it up to 275ish...
Thanks so much!
rektilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
Probably upwards of 400 hp for a daily. Most accord/prelude transmissions are built the same minus the ratios. Yes, it can handle your power goals
Old 05-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Honestly, I don't think anyone on our high horsepower list is using anything more than a stock transmission. The stock transmissions can handle more power than pretty much anyone will ever be able to use effectively on the street. At most, they'll need new synchros.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
At approximately 700+ H and F transmissions typically need a cuff if the car hooks well. A cuff eliminates 5th gear and holds the main shaft and the counter shaft together instead of letting them separate. With tremendous power the shafts actually push against each other and eventually push apart resulting in "stripped gears" for lack of a better term.

Other then that they stay together as far as I know.

In other words I wouldn't worry about pushing the transmission past it's limits. It's very unlikely to happen. And not going to happen at your HP goals.
H311RA151N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
sentraman
Newcomer

sentraman is cool... so far.
Glad to know that they can withstand some power
sentraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by H311RA151N View Post
At approximately 700+ H and F transmissions typically need a cuff if the car hooks well. A cuff eliminates 5th gear and holds the main shaft and the counter shaft together instead of letting them separate. With tremendous power the shafts actually push against each other and eventually push apart resulting in "stripped gears" for lack of a better term.

Other then that they stay together as far as I know.

In other words I wouldn't worry about pushing the transmission past it's limits. It's very unlikely to happen. And not going to happen at your HP goals.
Seen one of these, was very cool to see. But DAM, if you don't have 5th you are on the track only as highway speeds would be pretty ridiculous with a H22 tranny in 4th.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
youll start snapping axles before the transmission detonates.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
93redcb7
CB7tuner Member

93redcb7 seems to have made some friends! 93redcb7 seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_erik View Post
youll start snapping axles before the transmission detonates.
not to thread jack or anything but for ease of information all in one thread and what not, does anyone know of any place that sells upgraded axles?
93redcb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...d/cb-1990-1993

http://www.gatorracingaxles.com/index.php

Tags
h23 on f22 , swap , transmission

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: