No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1986 Ford F-250 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally... I drove this thing over 70 miles just messing around yesterday and it didn't leak any kind of fluid.

It's been a long time getting to this point. I think it's ready for our journey 500 miles and 6+ hours northward coming Sunday night. It's going to be a long sum-bitch. But we will creep on up that-a-way and I'm thinking we will actually make it.

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
    Looking good!
    Thank ya sir!

Comment

Good luck! Moves are always stressful.

Comment

It made it. Trailer weighed 1920lbs empty according to U-Haul. I weighed in on a scale near Conway Missouri to see if I had exceeded the 2450lb capacity of the trailer. Truck weighs 5990 as I've weighed it before, trailer was 1920 according to U-Haul and the scale read exactly 10,010 lbs so I was about 400lbs below max capacity on the trailer.

My GF said I would take off and leave her when we took off from a light, 3rd gear was pretty fun as I'd use granny low, shift to 2nd and short shift to 3rd then lay the pedal half way down. The speedometer would go from about 20 to 45 in just a few seconds. Then... that was it. But the torque of this truck while under a load is just freakin' awesome.

Comment

Glad too see you made the move without anything eventful happening.
          CB7TUNER.com
          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
            Glad too see you made the move without anything eventful happening.
            Nothing eventful other than traveling at night and finding a lot of the gas stations I had charted out were closed. Didn't think of that. But I had two 5 gallon gas cans filled as a reserve. The Accord didn't need fuel once. It had 1/4 tank when we got here.
            Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-12-2015, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Comment

I've been doing a ton of research for building a 460. I've decided I want to stick with the stock 3.850" stroke. As for the amount of power I'm looking for I've decided 475-500hp is easily achievable and anything in excess I doubt I'll ever find necessary. That equates to about 650-700ftlbs of torque.

The cool thing is I can do it at keep it on pump gas (91) at 9.6:1 compression with DOVE heads (74cc).

From 460ford.com:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

450-475HP 460ci

Intake System:

750cfm Holley DP professionally calibrated for your application
                Edelbrock Performer Rpm Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE head with mild port job, chambers polished and port match
                (315-ish/180-ish cfm @.600)
                Intake valve size 2.08
                Exhaust valve size 1.65
                Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XE274H Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent
                (Specs:274/286 adv., 230/236@.050, .562/.565, 110 LSA)
                Compression around 9.5:1
                Stock crank
                Eagle I-beam rods
                High volume oil pump
                Deepened oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91-octane. Keep redline to 6500 rpm.

The Comp Cam XE274H camshaft has a little lope to it but not much. For the purpose of this engine being in a 4x4 truck it's about perfect really.

Comment

Josh! Do it! Is the trucks body & frame up to par? Rust wise and stuff? It'd be cool to see a big block build.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    Josh! Do it! Is the trucks body & frame up to par? Rust wise and stuff? It'd be cool to see a big block build.
                    The frame oh yeah. It's in great shape under all the road grime. Body is most definately fixable. Without a doubt. Same cab and same bed will be used. If I ever get that far. Engine and drivetrain will be first. That WILL be done soon.

Comment

Took a short video of playing in the snow today. Wish I could have recorded a bit more but I really need both hands on the wheel when playing around very much.

Just a couple short punches to about 3900RPM in 3rd in 4Hi. Not much slow left to play in on the back roads. Some snow drifts I found were a couple feet deep in spots however not having lived here long I didn't know how deep they would be until I was already in them. Truck is unstoppable.

Comment

Well, it snowed here in Eastern Iowa for about 28-32 hours. Snow/sleet/ice I guess. Truck didn't miss a beat as it never does. I think we ended up with like 7 inches or so. Not enough for me really. Still wanting to get this thing in about 24+". But it looks like I'll have to wait.

Comment

Fooling around at work. Decided to see how far up the snow/ice pile I could get. Too far, I got far enough that I worried about going over the peak of the mound and getting high centered so I stopped. Still lets me know of the capabilities of this truck. I've been wondering what it's capable of in it's current status for a long time. Getting closer to finding out it's limits here recently as for climbing stuff. Still need that 24 +/- inches of snow though.

Comment

Had some fun in the mud today.

And a quick 20-60 pull as well.

Comment

Grille is busted along with the passenger side turn signal due to hitting a doe about a month ago. Need to order a new grille, bezel and turn signal here soon. No biggie.

After a little fun the other day on a minimum maintenance road. In other words about a foot of mud on top of a hard bottom. Took forever to clean.

Comment

Ever since I hit the deer I've had a slight coolant leak. I figured I would take a video and use the flash to see if I could find out where the coolant was leaking from and I just happened to find that my alternator belt was gone. Alternator seized up and burnt the belt off. Made it from work to home off the battery and didn't even know it. I thought I smelt something burning.

I had already looked at the truck before taking this video.

And the new parts to fix the issues.

Pretty darn thick radiator.

Comment

Working...
                                X