Concerned About Measuring Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerned About Measuring Oil Pressure

Swapping to an OBD2 H23A VTEC is giving me one main concern, and that is how the measurement of oil pressure will be done in my situation with a Hondata S300 equipped P06. I have to be assured that I am measuring oil pressure properly and accurately, due oil starvation being the reason my rod bearings disintegrated in the F22.

So, looking at the firewall side of my F22A1 block, I am guessing that oil pressure is read through a male pin that is threaded into a hole above the water pipe. The CB7 harness has a single-wire female plug that connects to this. There is no spot to swap this sensor over onto the H23A. If any of that is not correct, let me know right off the bat.

When looking at the H23A block, the knock sensor is in this same/similar location, and due to my ECU setup, I should just take this out and keep it with the H23A harness that I am not going to use, correct? I'm not too concerned with knock to go through the effort of converting my P06, since I'm always going to use 91 or higher octane fuel.

Now, the H23A has a large and protected sensor under the oil filter. Is this actually called the oil pressure sensor/switch or the VTEC pressure plug/switch? I have heard both names. Since the F22 just has a metal plug that threads into the hole there, my gut instinct was to just swap that over and keep the sensor I found there with the unused H23A harness. Lots of H swappers on here, however, have used this as their oil pressure sensor, I believe.

This is the VTEC subharness I ordered, and Monotech makes high quality stuff! If you read the description, it works for Accord/Prelude VTEC swaps also, not just the Del Sol as in the title. Now, the reason I bring this up is that I was informed on my MRT that, due to my ECU setup, I could just pin and use the VTEC solenoid wire, the one with the grey connector, and ground, of course.

So here's the question (finally), if I don't use the knock sensor or the VTEC pressure plug, then how do I read oil pressure in my situation? Should I take out the F22 metal plug I swapped over and figure out how to wire up the H23A sensor that was originally in there? It was just one wire whose end was held on by a screw at the top of the sensor.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Not sure what the H23A has, but the H series oil pressure sensor is typically below the oil filter and is connected via a single round pin, rather than the screw and ring terminal that the F22 uses (or is it the other way around?). Whichever style you use - they are the same - this is the actual Oil Pressure Sensor for the motor, and it is absolutely critical that you have it hooked up. Disconnected or a bad reading will make the oil lamp turn on. I think the stock wire is yellow with a red stripe, and this sensor is what you would T-tap into to add an external gauge.

The vtec subharness you linked to assumes that your oil pressure sensor is hooked up already, as it has nothing to do with vtec!

The VTEC Oil Pressure Switch, on the other hand, is a 2-pin connector on the side of the vtec solenoid. This is not a sensor but merely a pressure limit switch for protection, if the oil is above a certain pressure, the switch is on - below, it's off. This is usually monitored by the ECU to make sure there is enough oil pressure to activate vtec, and if there isn't, it won't try. Some ECUs (chipped P06 included) optionally ignore the vtec oil switch, and just enable/disable the solenoid directly. The vtec subharness has a black round connector for this switch, but with your ECU you could leave it disconnected if you want.

If you will be omitting the knock sensor, and omitting the vtec pressure switch, then basically the only thing that remains is a single wire for the vtec solenoid signal...

p.s. this is how I had my H22 Euro-r hooked up.
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-23-2019, 05:17 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Ok, that's awesome, thank you for helping clear this up. I will hook up that oil pressure sensor, and take out the plug that I swapped over from the F22. Since the F22 oil pressure sensor looks like this:

and hooks up above the water pipe at the top of the block, I will have to extend the wire on the F22 harness to reach the H23 oil pressure sensor.

Here is what my VTEC solenoid looks like, except with one change:

Mine has a screw plug in the place of the pressure switch, which is why I had trouble finding it! So I will just hook up the solenoid wire.
      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
      X