Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be careful what you post on forums. Lesson learned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful what you post on forums. Lesson learned.

So, unfortunately I cant say what happened to me. Yet. But I will say that some people scrolling through the internet might find that they are local to an individual like myself and use any information they can about you to steal from you, vandalize your home/ vehicles etc.

This happened to me. I can't give any specifics yet but I will be able to soon. Probably. Basically, someone seen a couple posts of mine in a thread, found out a couple things and did something. Some things are missing. All vehicle related. The Talon and Corvette were not touched thankfully and it didn't take place at or near my home. I'm thankful for that and the individual should be too. Putting things out there is sort of my fault even though they were as innocent as the bulk of our posts are here on CB7T. It just so happens that someone who is not a member found a thread of mine and happens to be a thief. And a bad one at that. The fact that I know how he did it (through this forum) is enough evidence of that.

Just throwing this out there. Don't be like me and get your shit took. If you post a picture of something make sure it's either not detailed as for it's location or very secure. And having a non-specific location on your profile might help. Sad we have to worry about these things but that's just how it is.

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
    So, unfortunately I cant say what happened to me. Yet. But I will say that some people scrolling through the internet might find that they are local to an individual like myself and use any information they can about you to steal from you, vandalize your home/ vehicles etc.

This happened to me. I can't give any specifics yet but I will be able to soon. Probably. Basically, someone seen a couple posts of mine in a thread, found out a couple things and did something. Some things are missing. All vehicle related. The Talon and Corvette were not touched thankfully and it didn't take place at or near my home. I'm thankful for that and the individual should be too. Putting things out there is sort of my fault even though they were as innocent as the bulk of our posts are here on CB7T. It just so happens that someone who is not a member found a thread of mine and happens to be a thief. And a bad one at that. The fact that I know how he did it (through this forum) is enough evidence of that.

Just throwing this out there. Don't be like me and get your shit took. If you post a picture of something make sure it's either not detailed as for it's location or very secure. And having a non-specific location on your profile might help. Sad we have to worry about these things but that's just how it is.
    Sorry to hear about this, i always try to not post descriptive information etc to avoid nonsense like this; sadly enough when you are forced to defend your property it becomes you who is being held at fault, i say that if they decided whatever i own is worth their life who am i to decide otherwise.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

This makes me want to check through my Youtube videos. Luckily, I know I didn't put street names on there, or even a specific town, just the name of the county with "mountains" after it. I'm far enough out of the way...
      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

The other thing you have to worry about is GPS tagged pictures where your phone will lock in where that picture was taken and then the possibility of someone figuring out how to unlock that feature. I think Facebook was doing this with your posts.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I also note all serial numbers of expensive items and use cameras at my house. But I guess if I was a thief I'd be browsing these forums and FB forums. Lot's of garage pics for people's cars or people posting for the new parts they just got. Also where they work, how long they are going away for, etc etc.

Comment

It's kind of eye opening for me. Knowing I made myself vulnerable in a way. It's a little easier to live with knowing it wasn't something I said (or typed rather) but pictures. And again, the individual who decided he needed my stuff more than I did has lived in the area I currently live in for their entire life.

Once everything gets taken care of by the police I will say what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
              It's kind of eye opening for me. Knowing I made myself vulnerable in a way. It's a little easier to live with knowing it wasn't something I said (or typed rather) but pictures. And again, the individual who decided he needed my stuff more than I did has lived in the area I currently live in for their entire life.

Once everything gets taken care of by the police I will say what happened.
              I was going to say that man, when my parents house got broken into a decade or so ago someone told me that it had to be someone that we knew or knew us and i refused to believe this idea until it turned out to be a neighbor whom i had taken fishing before; im guessing they knew who you were and saw what you had from pictures etc.
              [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                I was going to say that man, when my parents house got broken into a decade or so ago someone told me that it had to be someone that we knew or knew us and i refused to believe this idea until it turned out to be a neighbor whom i had taken fishing before; im guessing they knew who you were and saw what you had from pictures etc.
                Yep. It's always someone you know. Judging by the way people post on facebook I'm surprised we don't hear about this more often. Heck, if one were to scroll through some MRTs and collect all the pics, data, etc. they could steal exactly what they wanted.

Comment

that sucks man.. welcome to club incognito.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                    The other thing you have to worry about is GPS tagged pictures where your phone will lock in where that picture was taken and then the possibility of someone figuring out how to unlock that feature. I think Facebook was doing this with your posts.
                    Luckily Facebook strips out EXIF data.

Comment

After my incident with the CB, I've been cautious of posting specific location things on the internet. I feel your pain man, and I hope the thief gets everything they deserve!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                      X