1993 Honda Accord repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Honda Accord repair

Hi. I'm undecided on weather it's worth fixing up my current daily driver or not. Some info about the car. It just turned over to 150k had it since 140k runs-drives great ac is ice cold even on 100 degree high humidity days, body looks good and seems to be a very good cb7 but I'm questioning putting more money into because I'm unsure if I'll continue to use it as a daily for the next 2-5 years because I have other cb7s I barely drive as it is lol.

Repairs since I got it all done by myself

Bosch alternator

Bosch battery

New distributor seals, oil cooler seal and upper lower spark plug seals with new valve cover gasket all from the dealer.

Oil changes currently running Valvoline maxlife high milage 5W30

Two valve adjustments done since I had it just to make sure it was done properly.

Transmission drain and filled 4 times

New upper control arms

New flex pipe

Brand new tires with alignment

New thermostat because old one wouldn't warm up all the way

New side marker lights

Recharged AC held a charge and is ice cold for months now

New air and fuel filter

Two new door handles

New windshield wipers

New platinum plugs with NGK wires

New head unit with new 6X9s in the rear and 6.5s in the front. I've been told my 6X9s sounds like subwoofers in the trunk lol.

On average with mostly city driving I get 22-25 mpg if I drive highway I'll get about 27 mpg even though it's automatic.

The car has absolutely no leaks. Between oil changes it literally uses maybe a quarter of a quart does not leak or burn and I run between changes around 3.5k-4k miles maybe more if I'm pushing it on the high milage synthetic along with Napa gold oil filters.

Everything works on the car like new it's such a smooth car to drive. Like new interior and exterior looks good expect for one minor dent on the driver's side door and some minor scratches.

My whole reason for making this thread is I'm unsure of doing what repairs it needs witch would total about 700-800 when I can go buy another nice cb7 for that price lol.

It needs

Two new front rotors, I would be using Brembo blanks for the front and would like to do the rears too even though it doesn't need it with Brembo blanks and all new Akebono brake pads front and back.

Lower ball joints it doesn't need but would only be an extra 100 or so to get it done the same time as the rotors, I would be using Honda oem ball joints.

Motor mounts, this is a job I'm unsure of doing on my own. I already priced around called some shops. If I think I can do the rear mount on my own I will be doing so but if not I will be paying a shop to do the rear for me and doing the other 3 on my own.

Will need a muffler in a few months.

Needs new front driver's and passenger side window motors & regulators.

All of this work that would be done included in the 700-800 price is shop labor for some of the work I may not be doing all parts and costs related to the work being done.

My main reason for making this post is. Is it worth putting all of this work into this cb7 if it'll be my daily driver for the next 2-5 years? Or just go buy another cb7 just for the fun of it as if I don't have enough of them already LOL. It's a very reliable clean smooth running car so it should me a no brainer for me but it's always fun buying another cb7 too. So anyone tell me your opinion and let me know what your thoughts are. Thank you.
    Last edited by Kev1990; 07-15-2016, 01:08 PM.

Sell off/part out/scavenge parts the cb's you don't drive/want and fix this one up since really its just basic maintenance related stuff. Its going to be far cheaper then buying a newer car, almost sounds like you are looking for reason to get away from it so that's really something only you can answer. You can also try and do as much diy work to save on the shop costs, and with selling off the other ones you may even come out with more money in your pocket then spent on repairs.
    Last edited by baracuda; 07-15-2016, 03:32 PM.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

True. Thank you for your reply.

I think the only reason why I'm steering away from fixing it up is because I could buy another car with that money you know. I'm actually looking at a really nice 1997 Acura RL later today all black exterior, interior and wheels. After thinking about it all I'm just going to downsize to two cars.. it's all I really need anyways I don't need four cars for one driver even though I like having a bunch of them and it looking like a cb7 collection in my driveway ahaha. Ima definitely keep the 93 EX and hopefully buy the RL tonight and if it's a good car Ill probably keep that as my second car.

I could definitely sell a few of my other cb7s for 1,000-1,500 each especially because I don't always drive them and can't drive them all at once. It's sorda depressing to me at the same time but exciting to me atleast knowing that the only two cars I have will be in completely top condition.

The problem with the brakes on the 93 EX. I got good pads on the front and the rears have another few years or so on them but the drivers side rotor is warped. I'd prefer to get it done right and replace all rotors and pads at the same time and both lower ball joints even though it doesn't need it anytime soon I'm sure. I would just have peace of mind safety wise and preventive maintenance knowing my lower ball joints are new.

Comment

Even if that RL looks nice, I would bet almost anything you will immediately need to put $1000-2000 into it for deferred maintenance and repairs.

The advantage of keeping your CB7 is that you KNOW what's going on with it and you know how well it's been maintained. Buying any used car, especially the ones in the $1500 price range, are a can of worms. Around here essentially any car that runs and drives is worth $1000 no matter how crappy it is.

Not to discourage you from getting it. It sounds like you want a reason to get the RL. But I would keep in mind that you need to put more money into it than it first appears on the surface.
        1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
        VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
        NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
        CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

Thank you for both of your replies.

I wound up walking away from the Acura when I found out it had a CEL on + ABS light and the owner claimed the check engine light was on just for the oxygen sensor and I brought my scanner with me it had a total of 3 different engine codes lol.

I made it so I can afford to repair the 93 EX and buy a new car. Last night I bought my first 5 speed cb7. A 1990 Honda Accord LX runs-drives so smooth with 297k on it. Only needs a new wheel bearing. If you were to look at this car in person or ride in it. Even with the wheel bearing that's just starting to go. You wouldn't be able to tell it has 300k on it. Here's why I bought it and I only got it for 600.

One owner car

All four new window motors-regulators the windows are the fastest ones I've ever had in a cb7

AC was retrofitted everything new even the lines as it was done properly

Brand new tires with original 90 LX hub caps that have no scuffs or pieces missing from them

Engine is bone dry no leaks from anything and I made sure the car doesn't burn oil before buying it

Brand new alternator and Honda battery from the dealer

Whole brand new exhaust front to back atleast it all looks newer

Newer distributor-wires and plugs

Clutch feels great. Put it in first or second let the clutch out it stalls right away. Or if out into 5th at low speed rpm and mph go up together no slips in the clutch.

I'll have to post pictures of it but I think this is one of the best cb7s I have ever purchased... it looks like it was garage kept for some of its life with the original paint. I love the car already and I've put like 150 miles on it just since last night with no issues.

Comment

Working...
          X