Intermediate Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
    motor mounts will in fact cause that vibration and a lot of noise as well. I have had bad motor mounts before that caused and axel to start to click. However my 4th gen prelude had a massive mount failure were the motor was just resting on the body cause bad axel vibration, noise and felt like my cars transmission was going to blow up. more then worth while to pull them one by one to inspect them.
    Damn, when you replaced the mounts did it stop the axle noise?

I have literally replaced the whole front end but, this is the only thing I cannot figure out.
    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
      Damn, when you replaced the mounts did it stop the axle noise?

I have literally replaced the whole front end but, this is the only thing I cannot figure out.
      Yes very much so, the motor was sitting low and to the side cause the axles to bind from a bad angle. Both side mounts had ripped apart and fell apart when I removed them, rear wasn't much better.

Driver's side mount old vs new, transmission mount wasn't in much better condition. I replaced all 4 mounts since it needed it and solved my issues.
      Last edited by baracuda; 07-16-2016, 02:59 PM.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Yes very much so, the motor was sitting low and to the side cause the axles to bind from a bad angle. Both side mounts had ripped apart and fell apart when I removed them, rear wasn't much better.

Driver's side mount old vs new, transmission mount wasn't in much better condition. I replaced all 4 mounts since it needed it and solved my issues.
        That definitely makes sense. That's what I was thinking as well about the mounts. That is my next mission to tackle. Thanks for your feedback & you scenario.
        Keep Pushing..

Comment

Putting in the three new motor mounts plus the tranny mount today..let's see how this turns out! I hope the rear mount isn't too bad to get out. I am not trying to take off the Intake Manifold! I think I can get it out without that process.
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
            Putting in the three new motor mounts plus the tranny mount today..let's see how this turns out! I hope the rear mount isn't too bad to get out. I am not trying to take off the Intake Manifold! I think I can get it out without that process.
            Should not have to take the manifold out at all. removed the intake tube and move the charcoal canister out of the way and you should be able to get it out. Make sure you use a jack to life and support the motor so you can get the mounts out as well as the mounting bolts.

Comment

BEST FEELING EVER not ever maybe just lately

Soooooooooooooooo...i just want to say thanks to everyone who gave a great input to solve my crazy vibration noise disaster. Everyone was a huge help. This has to be my favorite website ever.

Anyway..let's talk Motor Mounts. They are very essential. Apparently, a list of weird symptoms can be apparent from destroyed or old motor mounts. I was having a huge issue with what I thought was the CV Axle or also I thought the intermediate shaft was the culprit. A very strong vibration & shaking feeling below the driver's side floorboard. This was not like an exhaust vibration but it was a stong vibration feeling in almost every gear from 2,000-2,500 RPM. That's why I thought it was a driveline issue because it was only happening with rising RPMs.
              I bought an OEM Honda Intermediate shaft thinking the bearing inside was bad (which it was). But, that was not the solution to my problem. I also purchased an axle from Raxles (which are high quality) but the noise and vibration feeling still existed. The Member Baracuda gave me an input that in fact bad motor mounts will lead to the vibration issue.
              I ordered some aftermarket mounts for each side. (Front Torque Mount, Rear Motor Mount, Driver's Side Motor Mount, & the Transmission Mount) Front torque mount has the easiest, then the Tranny Mount was a breeze, the driver's side motor mount wasn't hard to do either, but let me just say that the rear motor mount in my opinion was one of the biggest pain in the ass ever. (I was so annoyed that my mother said something to me & I lashed out. hahaha. I apologized of course but the rear mount was just pissing me off so bad!!!!!!!)
              I went with Baracuda's advice & did not remove the Intake Manifold. I only removed my intake & throttle body which gave me enough room to access the rear mount. I did have to climb underneath & undo the bolts for the bracket for the rear mount. Getting the rear mount out wasn't too bad but getting the bracket out was another story! Damn that is a tight fit behind the Intake Manifold. Now the installation was extremely annoying because I had to put in the new rear mount & the bracket which was something I had to take a break for a little because I was again getting frustrated. But, with a little patience I managed to get the rear mount & bracket in beautifully.
              After putting everything back together I noticed the engine sat more flat and higher up. I should have taken a pic because my driver's side motor mount was destroyed as well as the rear engine mount.

I am not sure as of how the engine starting up would have anything to do with the mounts but for some reason my CB started up way way quicker than ever before. It actually kind of scared me because it has never been that quick to instantly start with barely a flick of the ignition. AWESOME! So, I took my car out for a spin & all I have to say is WOW.
              NO MORE CRAZY VIBRATIONS UNDER MY FLOORBOARD. NOT A DAMN SOUND!!

It took me months & months to figure out what my problem was. I am so thankful for the information that is provided on here.

Thank you for everyone's help!!!

Oh yeah, is there someway I can change the title of this post to:
              "Motor Mounts"
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Hi. I am going through something similar right now with my 90 cb7 5 speed. When you were accelerating were you getting a steering wheel shimmy too? Like did the steering wheel move back and fourth? I don't want to invest crazy amounts of money into the car for something that may not fix it. Do you think your problem from the start was just the motor mounts?

Comment

Glad to hear this was to the solution to your long running issue. The motor mounts are incredibility important and can be the cause of a large host of issues as you can see. Sorry to hear the rear mount giving you trouble, I have never had to remove the rear mount brace on the motor. You should have just been able to undo the 4 bolts in the mount and pull it out on its own.

Comment

Glad to hear this was to the solution to your long running issue. The motor mounts are incredibility important and can be the cause of a large host of issues as you can see. Sorry to hear the rear mount giving you trouble, I have never had to remove the rear mount brace on the motor. You should have just been able to undo the 4 bolts in the mount and pull it out on its own.
                    Yeah I wish I wouldn't have had to take the bracket off but, I was jsut trying to make more room because of the minimal space. But, it all went well so I cannot complain one bit.
                    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                      Hi. I am going through something similar right now with my 90 cb7 5 speed. When you were accelerating were you getting a steering wheel shimmy too? Like did the steering wheel move back and fourth? I don't want to invest crazy amounts of money into the car for something that may not fix it. Do you think your problem from the start was just the motor mounts?
                      Well no, my vibration feeling was not in the steering wheel. It was a cyclical vibration like it was coming from the CV axle or something in the driveline. But, I think because my mounts were bad, the motor & transmission were misaligned causing a binding issue.

That sounds maybe like a steering component? Have you checked the tie rods & possibly the whole steering rack itself? How about the tires? Out of balance possibly? How is the alignment? I am not an expert by any means but I would start there.

The motor mounts are important though, you could do that as a future project.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                      X