Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cutting springs

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
    because they are stupid idiots that's why
    I guess so. One would think eventually people would stop asking.

Comment

honestly i would say, save your money get some real lowering springs...also look in ebay....ebay springs are not the greatest but they would be better then cutting your springs

your ride quality would be shit, if you dont believe us try it out...i dont have nor did i ever have cut springs on my accord...but i do have a truck that has lowered springs which the previous owner cut and the ride quality is shit..my trucks lower control are hit off the ground when i hit bumps..because the trucks nose will keep dipping up and down because......well the ride quality is shhhhit..i never got to replacing them out for stocks again
      Last edited by carps_accord; 07-24-2009, 10:09 AM.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSheep View Post
        that's the way it went down when you didn't have a spring for your car or it only lowered it like .5 inches and you wanted to be slammed. Honestly i've never ever had a problem with it, all the people talking shit have never done it because they're scared something will mess up but it won't. I had a old jetta i did this to and it rode just like the lower springs i later put on it. I had it done to the rear of my racing beat springs because i had bad rake and i wanted to flatten it out. There again it rode great and autoXed great.

I say do what you want, vw guys run coilover sleeves without the sleeves so basically a tiny bit of spring and that's not even on mcphereson strut on the rear and they never have problems. I even read a performance book back in the day that told you to do this to increase spring rates.
        its the cheapo's way...might aswell make a duct tape lip for your front bumper too.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          because they are stupid idiots that's why
          ....and/or they're too cheap to do shit right.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

I gotta agree w/ have of the people on here just wait to buy some springs or coil over thats just me but it's your car do what you want i cut one of my boys eg civic and it road like shit
            F22BDOHC JDM

Comment

u might get away with it by cutting one of the dead coils. but i wouldn't do it. did it once and won't do it again. go on ebay and buy some cheap ass springs or coilovers.

Comment

lol

i say 3 coils all the way around but make sure to cut them from the top if not they will not sit right in the struts if you cut them from the bottom

my car rode fine with them cut, no issues at all

Comment

There is nothing dangerous about cutting a spring!!!
                  That being said there are better ways to cut springs.
                  Best way is using a cut off wheel to not heat up more of the spring then needed.
                  If you do use a torch then grind the end of the spring smooth and let the coil cool down on its own (do not cool with water or anything) so the steel doesn't become brittle.

Buy new performance struts!

Do not bother with old stockers, this is the dangerous part.

Cutting a spring does increase its spring rate.

There are limits to cutting springs, the spring should never be loose in it's strut.

Heating a spring is the worst possible way to lower a car, there is no way to make sure the spring rate will be the same from one spring to the next.

I have worked at a suspension shop for over 5 years and have only seen 2 cars lowered from heating the springs. First was a GTO and the other was a 90's accord. Both cars drove funny.

There are alot of idiot's who install cheap coil over kits on there cars when cutting there stock springs is a better choice.
                  Always replace struts with new performace ones.

Comment

^^^^ i agree with you 100%

i would rather drive a car with cut springs anyday than a car with ebay coilovers

as long as you do it right it will ride perfectly

Comment

Sometimes you gotta get by. Like zip strapping something on there till you can get the proper clamp. Or running without a valve cover bolt till it comes in from the dealer. Maybe even pushing the brakes a little longer till your next paycheque. All of those things being critical to actually driving the car.

Cutting your shocks isn't necessary to get you places.

You said you came here looking to weigh the options? Then I'd say cut them. If you need to weigh the those kinds of options, then just do it. Maybe you are the type of person who ignores all the the warning signs and needs to stick your arm in the tiger cage to get it ripped off before you'll actually learn.

No one in this forum is going to recommend this. Or give you an alternate option other than getting new shocks and struts. That's the only way to lower a car. If you want to weigh something, weigh the costs of the different packages and drop lengths.

The damage you are going to do to your tires and joints is going to offset the price of getting new shocks/struts anyway... happy cutting!

Comment

Originally posted by Lokheed View Post
                        Sometimes you gotta get by.
                        Agreed... but you never HAVE to lower your car. You don't "gotta get by" when it comes to modifying your vehicle.

Do it safely. Do it right. Or don't do it at all.

A CB7 can be properly and safely lowered and aligned for about $700 with brand new components. If you can find good used ones that you can trust, it can be done for less.

Comment

Originally posted by carps_accord View Post
                          its the cheapo's way...might aswell make a duct tape lip for your front bumper too.
                          or i could pull a mold and make one out of glass for under 20 bucks, maybe i am cheap but like i said if i don't need to buy something or i can fab it up which i do for a living then i will do it that way.

Comment

If your going to tell us you fab parts for a living then we will naturally assume your smart enough not to cut springs.

But after this...
                            "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                            "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                            Disregard females, acquire currency
                            BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

haha like i said i did it on other cars it came out great i did it on this one not so much..spring rate is jacked up but it's not to bad. Who said anything about being smart? hahah

Comment

Originally posted by Lokheed View Post
                                Sometimes you gotta get by. Like zip strapping something on there till you can get the proper clamp. Or running without a valve cover bolt till it comes in from the dealer. Maybe even pushing the brakes a little longer till your next paycheque. All of those things being critical to actually driving the car.

Cutting your shocks isn't necessary to get you places.

You said you came here looking to weigh the options? Then I'd say cut them. If you need to weigh the those kinds of options, then just do it. Maybe you are the type of person who ignores all the the warning signs and needs to stick your arm in the tiger cage to get it ripped off before you'll actually learn.

No one in this forum is going to recommend this. Or give you an alternate option other than getting new shocks and struts. That's the only way to lower a car. If you want to weigh something, weigh the costs of the different packages and drop lengths.

The damage you are going to do to your tires and joints is going to offset the price of getting new shocks/struts anyway... happy cutting!
                                I wish i could make this my signature... but it is too long... damn...

Torching your springs will get you dented transmission pans, strut tower braces, and an all around horrible ride. Now, although i'm not a fan, nor would i EVER even consider cutting springs, i know of a couple of people that (KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING) and their rides are fine.

I say, you are going to do it no matter what we say, so just prepare to have another car on standby because you'll need it.
                                -Lance- (Formally known as H0ndaspyd3rLM)

Originally posted by H22Artman
                                if he still disagrees. well...... buy him a pink sweater and tell him to go buy some curtains.
                                Originally posted by deevergote
                                I posted a nude photo of myself on cd5tuner.com... it broke the site.
                                Bought from: lo_dit, 924dr, Fatman88, 91project, noobcake, loud92cb7

٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶

Comment

Working...
                                X