Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All in one computers... Anybody have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All in one computers... Anybody have one?

I need a new computer. I refuse to get a laptop, and it needs to be a desktop PC, not Apple. I've been looking at the Dell All in One PC's, but never owned anything like it. Just wondering if anyone on here is currently using one and what are your thoughts?

I don't do gaming, I just surf the web, pay bills online, upload pics from a digital camera to the hard drive, write documents, and maybe use some occasional off the shelf architectural design software. I'm pretty basic when it comes to computers, I'm sure anything I'd buy would be better than my 8 yr old Acer Aspire desktop.

I guess my main question is in regards to the way an all in one computer functions. Can you use it exactly like a standard desktop computer and use the touch screen when you feel like it? Or, does the touch screen play a big part in the functionality of the computer? For me it seems ideal to use the touchscreen if I want to, but for the most part stick to the keyboard and mouse.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought Apple..... Oh well can't help here, too bad you have chosen to dismiss a great product.

Happy hunting.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
      As soon as I saw the thread title I thought Apple..... Oh well can't help here, too bad you have chosen to dismiss a great product.

Happy hunting.
      I understand, I'm just stubborn.

Comment

I am not a fan of all in one PCs simply because they are generally more expensive than desktops and laptops sporting the same power and if a component breaks your having to replace the whole thing not just a faulty part. A friend of mine has one of the Dell All in one PCs and it messed up after 6 months and she had to ship it in for repairs. Took them 4 weeks to get it fixed and shipped back.

With that said everyone has their own preferences. Personally I would go with desktop or even a laptop for basic everyday use but good luck with finding what your looking for.

Comment

I've converted a few really stubborn PC fanatics. But for what you are looking for there are much cheaper PC options.

Nothing wrong with a Dell desktop. Never looked at an actual all-in-one PC before. I have had a Dell desktop in my home office for the last 5 years now with no issues. Wife wants an upgrade... so I am actually looking at replacing it with a referb'd Dell 755 RB-DL755S37HM for $180, tower only. I already have a monitor and all the accessories. Tigerdirect have all in one packages (desktop PC) fairly cheap as well.
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by trickedaccord92 View Post
            I am not a fan of all in one PCs simply because they are generally more expensive than desktops and laptops sporting the same power and if a component breaks your having to replace the whole thing not just a faulty part. A friend of mine has one of the Dell All in one PCs and it messed up after 6 months and she had to ship it in for repairs. Took them 4 weeks to get it fixed and shipped back.

With that said everyone has their own preferences. Personally I would go with desktop or even a laptop for basic everyday use but good luck with finding what your looking for.
            Good point, I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
              I've converted a few really stubborn PC fanatics. But for what you are looking for there are much cheaper PC options.

Nothing wrong with a Dell desktop. Never looked at an actual all-in-one PC before. I have had a Dell desktop in my home office for the last 5 years now with no issues. Wife wants an upgrade... so I am actually looking at replacing it with a referb'd Dell 755 RB-DL755S37HM for $180, tower only. I already have a monitor and all the accessories. Tigerdirect have all in one packages (desktop PC) fairly cheap as well.
              I thought about just going with a tower, but my monitor is not the greatest anymore. I liked the all in one for the space savings it offers and less clutter is a plus in my book. Many of my friends have converted to Apple, I'd just prefer to stick with what I know for now.

So I get what you mean about cheaper alternatives to the all in one, if only a tower is needed. My keyboard is pretty worn, monitor is bleeding out, and speakers are getting old. So I'd have to get the whole package, and at that point, i'm right in line with all in one pricing.
              Last edited by wherm; 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I'd like to be at $600 or less for either an all in one setup, or a complete desktop setup with a monitor size of 20" or larger. I plan on purchasing online with my paypal account.

Comment

badass 10" asus tablet and nice BT keyboard

perhaps the Asus - VivoTab Smart Tablet

Asus has added to its line of Windows 8 tablets with the VivoTab Smart Tablet - arriving with a cover that doubles as a keyboard

Comment

I have a feeling the Asus will be like the Surface where you are limited to programs only on the MS store. I am using the Surface right now and it is perfect for internet, MS Office, but I have not figured out how to get any CAD programs on here. You could just use a desktop remotely from the tablet which I should try to do.
                    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                      I have a feeling the Asus will be like the Surface where you are limited to programs only on the MS store. I am using the Surface right now and it is perfect for internet, MS Office, but I have not figured out how to get any CAD programs on here. You could just use a desktop remotely from the tablet which I should try to do.
                      yeah wrong processor, or the program hasnt been ported. but a secure RDC on a fat pipe would just as good as being there at the workstation.
                      Itd be the same difference as an android based tablet with its own platoon of processors..

for simple tasks itd probably be more then enough. just a bit better then a good phone these days with some size to provide tactility.

and im just partial to asus lmao
                      Last edited by illinois_erik; 10-24-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
                        I thought about just going with a tower, but my monitor is not the greatest anymore. I liked the all in one for the space savings it offers and less clutter is a plus in my book. Many of my friends have converted to Apple, I'd just prefer to stick with what I know for now.

So I get what you mean about cheaper alternatives to the all in one, if only a tower is needed. My keyboard is pretty worn, monitor is bleeding out, and speakers are getting old. So I'd have to get the whole package, and at that point, i'm right in line with all in one pricing.
                        Just a quick look on newegg and I found this ....

Tower, keyboard, and mouse $499
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227495

20 inch monitor $99
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116653

Great $600 PC with everything you need for online entertainment, basic video editing, new accessories, etc.

And that is just a quick look ... you could probably dial back the price a little more searching through newegg or tigerdirect.

Now with the all in one PCs I see most of the cheaper ones are $400-$500 but like I said if the power supply goes out after the warranty that means $400-$500 more for a new PC where if the power supply goes out on a desktop it is a $50-$80 fix.

I was into cars before PCs and I learned something working on my cars that I carried over to everything I do now. Do it right the first time or it is going to cost you more in the long run. I built my own gaming PC last year and it is still running everything I throw at it but I can upgrade individual components as I go also so I never have to buy a whole new PC. I can just upgrade stuff as it goes out.

Comment

Dell sucks. I've fixed about 2 dozen computers in my lifetime... 80% of them have been Dells. The ONLY thing I like about Dell is their clever case designs. So easy to pop things in and out!

All in one designs are scary. They're limited on space, so upgrading is difficult. Often they'll use proprietary parts that make replacements impossible without ordering those specific pieces. That makes it about as practical as an Apple product, only without the benefit of stable software written specifically for the hardware!
                          They're ok if all you want to do is surf the web for basic things, check email, etc... Beyond that, I wouldn't want one. Such things are really only geared toward people with little computer knowledge, or limited space.

If a compact design is what you want, I'd look into the smaller cases and a nice slim screen. You can sit the small case on the desk behind the screen and it'll be no different than an all in one! Hell... duct tape that sucker to the monitor if you want!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Dell sucks. I've fixed about 2 dozen computers in my lifetime... 80% of them have been Dells. The ONLY thing I like about Dell is their clever case designs. So easy to pop things in and out!

All in one designs are scary. They're limited on space, so upgrading is difficult. Often they'll use proprietary parts that make replacements impossible without ordering those specific pieces. That makes it about as practical as an Apple product, only without the benefit of stable software written specifically for the hardware!
                            They're ok if all you want to do is surf the web for basic things, check email, etc... Beyond that, I wouldn't want one. Such things are really only geared toward people with little computer knowledge, or limited space.

If a compact design is what you want, I'd look into the smaller cases and a nice slim screen. You can sit the small case on the desk behind the screen and it'll be no different than an all in one! Hell... duct tape that sucker to the monitor if you want!
                            stupid dell and their proprietary power supply connections
                            edit: proprietary EVERYTHING

Comment

They use such low-end junk in their basic systems, too! Unless you pay out the nose to upgrade to good stuff, you get the cheapest of cheap Chinese junk in there!

I stole my drummer's Dell to use for recording. It worked fine for a while. Then I let it sit. Now it won't start. It somehow broke itself by sitting unused in my living room for a year or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X