Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Using Rear Defroster as an Antenna

Reposting since this was lost in the great crash

Since I shaved the antenna off the accord I needed some sort of antenna. I have tried numerous little hidden ones over the years and they don't work very well. Alot of Hondas incorporate the antenna in the rear glass. The top part of window has a few lines like the defroster that connect to the radio. I figured if a few lines work well enough with out an amplifier for Honda then the whole back window full of them should also work.

I disconnected the defroster wires from the back window and ran a wire from the antenna to the rear window to test. It work pretty well. I still want the defroster to work so I decided to wire up a relay to change it over. The window will work normally as an antenna and when the defroster switch is turned on, change over to the defroster. I can live without reception for a minutes when I need to defrost.

All you need is a standard automotive relay and a few electrical terminals.

Parts/tools
    Ratchet and 10mm socket
    Wire strippers
    Wire crimper
    Standard Automotive relay
    Female spade, ring and, butt connectors

Wiring diagram

Remove the drivers side seat bolster and the c-pillar trim to access the positive side window terminal.

Find a good spot to locate the relay. Cut the black/green wire going to the window. Cut it so the car side is long enough to reach the relay and extend the window side to reach the relay.

Wire the car side to relay terminal 85 and 87.
    Wire the window side to 30
    wire terminal 86 to ground. I used the bolt for defroster capacitor but I had the package tray already out.

Reroute the antenna from the trunk to the relay. Cut the end off and strip back the jacket. Crimp on wires to the center wire and shielding. Connect the center wire to relay terminal 87a and the shield to ground.

The ground side of the defroster should also be wired up to a relay also. I tried with the ground connected and disconnected but did not notice a difference in reception so I left it intact.

Turn radio on and test. This video shows the original radio working on AM with car the indoors. It works much better outdoors. The car is in pieces so no road test yet.

Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Awesome Bro....Good job....Way to use that brain...I bet it works real good like you said........Really this is good...One of those things your like why didnt i think of this.....
    Only give advice when I know or have done it and it worked

Comment

I took the lazy approach to this. Since I saw this and I never use my rear defrosters because I got window tint. I just disconnected the two wires that are attached to the lines and I took the antennae wire put it in a sleeve and connected directly to the line. Did nothing with the copper wire just made sure it didnt touch the sleeve.

works awesome! thanks you for the idea.

Comment

Great mod man this is a great idea, I shaved off my antenna so this can come handy!

Comment

Did this today , works like a charm

Originally posted by Darkcloud
          Wimp go low or go home haha
          Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
          Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

just curious what you meant by car side and window side? i'm not the greatest with electrical but my antenna doesn't work and i was thinking of doing this
            IG:worldboss_sanjcb7

Comment

After you cut the defroster wire, you will have two halfs. The one attatched to the window is the window side. The other side coming from the car harness is the car side.
              Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                After you cut the defroster wire, you will have two halfs. The one attatched to the window is the window side. The other side coming from the car harness is the car side.
                thanks man, not really the greatest with electrical,didn't want to mess anything up, and a little off topic but i bought a similar relay set at partsource for fogs but wouldnt the wiring be too small to handle that kind of power?
                IG:worldboss_sanjcb7

Comment

Working...
                X