Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22 swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was planning on using my F series trans for now and most likely pick up a lsd trans down the line. While I am still waiting for the engine to get delivered I came across a trans from a 98 Prelude.

This should be a M2YA trans? Is this a direct swap aside from moving the mount stud?

Comment

Yup as long as its an m2y4 you'll be good to go. Stay away from the m2u4 as that's setup for atts/bb6 sh.

Comment

Originally posted by gooseisloose View Post
        I was planning on using my F series trans for now and most likely pick up a lsd trans down the line.
        Can you keep this thread updated? I am interested in a h22 swap and had some of the same questions.

Comment

Originally posted by talonted1990 View Post
          Can you keep this thread updated? I am interested in a h22 swap and had some of the same questions.
          The link below should answer nearly all of your questions re this swap

Sticky: Swap Faq's for the CB7
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5423

You should also read the following

Sticky: Common Swaps Info can be found in here.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=159041

Comment

Originally posted by talonted1990 View Post
            I made an intro post over in "Off Topic" section.

You should definitely read those links that Tishock posted. Tons of great info there and all over this site.

Good luck with your swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
              The link below should answer nearly all of your questions re this swap

Sticky: Swap Faq's for the CB7
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5423

You should also read the following

Sticky: Common Swaps Info can be found in here.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=159041
              Thanks for the links, I had read both of those before, I just like reading about problems and solutions that people encounter while doing work on their cars.

Comment

Finally got around to unpacking the motor. Besides coming 2 weeks later then told I'm happy with it. The engine is very clean and was prepared and secured for shipping nice.

Pulled the front end apart replacing all seals, installing balance shaft seal retainer, new belt, pump and KS tensioner.

Adjusted the valves and installed new valve cover gasket and tube seals. Put in new thermostat, replaced crossover pipe o-rings and replaced all coolant hoses.

Replaced rear main and mounted flywheel and clutch and put trans on.

Got the basic layout of the harness where I want it, took some measurements. Just need to pull it off, extend a few wires and wrap it up.

Harness should be done Monday, still waiting on the harness cover part for the alternator wiring (kind of pissed my engine didn't come with it). Need to order a throw out bearing and it should be ready to go.

One last question. I'm good to use my F22 half shaft and F22 axles with the M2B4 trans?

Comment

Looks nice.

If it were me (I'm a bit paranoid), I'd run a leakdown test on the engine before I installed it. Could save a lot of time if it is worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                    Looks nice.

If it were me (I'm a bit paranoid), I'd run a leakdown test on the engine before I installed it. Could save a lot of time if it is worn out.
                    Thanks.

I got the engine from HMotors. From what I read online I think it should be ok.

Comment

Started my swap tonight after work. Everything went pretty smooth until I ran into an issue with the power steering pump.

The line and the pump aren't working together. The line will not fit on the pump so obviously either or is wrong. The line I bought off ebay and is supposedly off an H23 and looks comparable to pics I find online. The pump is supposedly a JDM H22 one but maybe it was removed and replaced prior to me getting it.

I never touched the pump until I did the swap so what you see how it's attached to the block is how I got it.

When I say it won't fit the line won't physically bolt onto the pump, the line is too big for the hole on the pump. Also it's hitting the little bracket as well.

Can anyone ID the pump? Is the bracket the correct one? I've seen some other H22 CB7s online with what looks like a different bracket but I assume those are H series pumps because the line looks like an H line with the bend.

This car has the pump I'm talking about. It's totally different then what I got.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...nda-accord-ex/

That is a 92-96 USDM Prelude pump?

Can anyone help me out on what I have going on? I'm pretty sure it's the pump but would like confirmation from somebody who knows. Can I just get another pump or do I need a bracket too? I'm going to try and find what I need at the junkyard tomorrow. What should I be looking for?

I'd really like to wrap this swap up tomorrow if I can so any help is greatly appreciated. If you need more info or pics let me know.

Comment

This is all too common since the JDM h22 came in both accords and preludes. P0A p/s pump is the 94-97 accord pump. P11 is the 92-96 prelude s, si and si VTEC pump. Unfortunately the high pressure lines are different. Yours indeed is for the 92-96 prelude p11 setup. The cb in the link above has the p11 pump. I think most make the prelude line work by rebend the lower section at the rack. No idea if 94-97 accord line could be made to fit the cb. Others including myself have welded the correct pump end to the existing cb high Pressure line, so that's an option as long as its done well. So its up to you, try out the 5th gen accord line to mate up to what you've got or grab a 4th gen prelude p/s pump (all trims use p11 pump) and p13 h22 bracket. I am not sure if p14 h23 bracket bolts to h22 head though. If you need me to clarify anything LMK.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                          This is all too common since the JDM h22 came in both accords and preludes. P0A p/s pump is the 94-97 accord pump. P11 is the 92-96 prelude s, si and si VTEC pump. Unfortunately the high pressure lines are different. Yours indeed is for the 92-96 prelude p11 setup. The cb in the link above has the p11 pump. I think most make the prelude line work by rebend the lower section at the rack. No idea if 94-97 accord line could be made to fit the cb. Others including myself have welded the correct pump end to the existing cb high Pressure line, so that's an option as long as its done well. So its up to you, try out the 5th gen accord line to mate up to what you've got or grab a 4th gen prelude p/s pump (all trims use p11 pump) and p13 h22 bracket. I am not sure if p14 h23 bracket bolts to h22 head though. If you need me to clarify anything LMK.
                          Thank you man. Very informative and very helpful.

I made it to the junkyard and lucked out finding a H23 Prelude. I grabbed the pump and the bracket.

Tested the pump out on the line and fit. Tried to mount the bracket but the Prelude bracket wouldn't fit. There is a section on the back side that sticks out too far hitting the block. Trimmed it up with an airsaw and fits perfect.
                          Mounted the pump and belt.

One issue though is the hole for the harness cover bolt is not in the right spot. I assume I need to get an H22 Prelude p/s bracket then? I did see a single cam Prelude at the junkyard today but the bracket looked the same as the one I got off the H23 but I didn't pay attention to that bolt location.

Ran into a few more issues today but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

The power steering suction hose is one size on the pump and the smaller on the reservoir. Just cut the hoses and put a coupler between.

I somehow forgot to put the heater core outlet hose on before I dropped the engine in. That is not fun in the least with the engine in.

Throttle cable is a little on the short side. Slotted the bracket to get the needed length.

The header conveniently occupies the same space as the AC suction hose. Was able to tweak the line a bit, it's still closer then I'd like but there is only so much room up front.

After tweaking the suction hose now the condenser fan is hitting it. Was able to tweak the line some more and trim a tad off the fan shroud.

At some point down the road I think I'm going to pull all the AC lines out and re-wrap them. You can see in the pics the original wrap is peeling, falling, disintegrating off. Also going to start replacing the hardware under the hood and start cleaning up brackets and whatnot. Need to make a better bracket for the coil too.

Pretty much got everything wrapped up today. I finished the day running the wires for the vtec, knock and iab into the cabin. I started pulling the pcm out and my boss started giving me the stink eye. That plus my back killing me I decided to call it quits for the day.

All that is left is to add the pins down at the pcm, install the P13 and put coolant, charge ac and p/s fluid in it.

Enough words here are some pics of how it sits now. I didn't get any pics during the install, once I get working I just work.

Comment

Oh if anyone is around Philly I'm getting rid of my old F22. If you can pick it up next week you can have it for nothing. It's got 194k on it. Ran good, no leaks. Timing belt and seals done 15k ago. I need it gone.

Comment

Nice job, great lookin' swap! You did good at the yard today, finding ludes in the junkyard is always tough. If the harness cover issue bugs you, then the H22/P13 p/s bracket would solve that. The P12 Prelude S bracket was meant for the F22 and would be a very different casting, so P13 is the right choice. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Finally got around to finishing up the wiring and putting the ecu in. Fired right up no cel.

Had a high idle and sweet whistling from intake manifold area. Found 3/4 of an extra throttle body gasket in there. Removed all but one and idle is ok.

Went for a ride and the engine was hesitating and had severe lack of power to the point it was undriveable. Drained the 87 from the tank and put some 93 and octane booster in there and it was night and day better. Still has some hesitation at times and feels a little low on power but driveable now. Haven't had much time to work on the car past couple days. Of course as soon as I get my engine work picks up and we're crazy busy all of a sudden.

I'm kicking myself for not replacing the bearings in the trans when I had it out. The input shaft bearing is pretty loud.

I'm guessing 92-96 USDM Prelude Vtec bearings will work?

Also anybody running an H22 with stock LX exhaust? I can't imagine 1/4'' or so smaller diameter causing issues but if I got to get an exhaust any recommendations for super quiet, stock as possible looking tip?

Comment

Working...
                                X