short block replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short block replacement

Has anyone in here replace their engine with a short block from the JK?
    Im about to do that & go with the short block and transfer everything over.
    Its a 92 LX F22A1 engine. Need to know the do's & the don't, want this thing to be a direct fit. Plus, Im doing it my self in my back yard. Im in the Sacramento 916 area. What are the bare minimums involve in a short block? So do get back at me with all relevant info.
    Thanks.

Try to find an f 22a6.
    Get the ecu.
    Use your harness no matter which motor you get, unless you get a 1992 lx.
    Get one with as low miles as possible.
    Do a new timing belt water pump and clutch.
    Edit
    I have actually done three swaps skipping the timing belt water pump with no tragedy, but don't recommend it.
    So bare minimum is probly try to leave the clutch on a j/y long block and use the better of the two sets of wear parts you have.
    Last edited by cb7 calling; 07-20-2015, 09:57 PM.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Check the donor engine before putting it in. Get specs from crank bearings and the like. Most things you can get done by machine shops. Are you swapping an entire engine? Or just the block?

Id do the timing belt/waterpump/tensioners, cam seal, front and rear main seals, oil pump, egr port cleaning, oil pan gasket, intake/exhaust gaskets, basically anything that's easier to do with the engine out. If you're gonna take the head off, get a valve job done, head gasket, valve cover/tube seals. And a tune up of course.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff..

Comment

How many other mods will I have to do if I switch to a f22a6? Im planning to do this job the right way: wp, tb, valve adjustment and what not. is the oil pump necessary?
        Im thinking of sticking with f22a1, does it need to be an LX model?

Comment

It's price of mind more or less. Better to do what you can before it shits on you later, you know? If you're going a6, you'll need the intake, black box, head internals, and ecu.

Comment

f22chris, Thanks for you 2 cents. Im gonna go with the same engine, no mods to be made. What other year and model is a direct fit into my 92cb7coup LX?
            Anyone have a good write up I can do research as removing the engine. Saw one but its for a another gen Honda, they took both tranny and engine off.
            I gonna have make my own engine stan, hate to be working off the floor.
            Thanks

Comment

All 90-93 DX and LX models will bolt up the same, as well as 92-96 Prelude base models.

Comment

Base model?

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
                  Base model?
                  No si's.

Comment

Got it, will the prelude be a direct fit with no modifications needed?
                    Saw a very good informational Eric The Car Guy vid on engine removal.
                    Im gonna pull the eninge this weekend from the JK.
                    I will post up at later time.

Comment

Yes the prelude will be a direct swap. Only difference is the ecu.

Comment

Do I have to change the harness?

Comment

You should expect to use your current harness no matter which motor you find. Unless like I said you find a motor from your same year make and model. That's the easy way. You could cut and splice any harnes to fit your car but that's gonna be a mess.
                          If you took an a6 motor from the yard and kept the black box and all vacuum lines hooked up. You would only need the ecu. Then bam 145 hp. Hook your current harness up to everything, use the clip to the iab's from the a6 harness with the pink and other wire which color I don't remember. I think black yellow. Run the pink wire to pin a17 on your new pt6 ecu and run the other wire to constant power. Basically any black/yellow wire in the bay. Or inline fuse and direct to battery. It's not that confusing and otherwise just like hooking up an a1
                          Last edited by cb7 calling; 07-26-2015, 09:07 AM.
                          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I can use 145hp, I will contemplate the notion. I think there is a sticky/write in here. I will post up, f23a1 are slim picking here in NoCal.

cb7 calling. Just got done reading Deevorgoat's sticky. So if I switch to an F22A6, can I keep my F22A1 : cylinder head & intake, exhaust, camshaft? If I could jump through less hoops the better. Let me know what you think?
                            Last edited by Jarrett; 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

The F22A6 head is the same as the F22A1 head, although the valve springs are different (to match the F22A6 camshaft). You also need the F22A6 ECU.

And to run the IABs on the F22A6 intake manifold, you need to get the IAB black box, solenoid valve, and check valve off of a F22A6 or H23.

Comment

Working...
                              X