Replacing gaskets...stuck on disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing gaskets...stuck on disassembly

Ill cut to the chase, my enginehad oil everywhere, i chose to replace all the seals and gaskets from the head up. Ive been following the instructions from the haynes very closely...

Currently Im stuck attempting to remove the crankshaft pulley, so far Ive lost 2 screw drivers to this as the book states to prevent the crankshaft from turning wedge a screwdriver betweeen the bellhousing and the flywheel.

ill make this clear, im trying to remove the cylinder head and the intake and exhaust manifolds so that i can replace the gaskets, if i doing this the hard way please help i need to get the car back on the road like last week.

There is a special tool to hold the crank pulley while you loosen the bolts

The screw driver in the fly wheel trick doesn't really work

What you're essentially trying to do is keep the motor from turning over.

If you have a manual then put it in gear and hold your foot on the brakes

If its an automatic then put some vacuum hose down the spark plug hole and crank the engine over until it compresses it. Once it does you will be able to break the bolt loose

Also try an impact if you have access to one.

Comment

I will give that a shot, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
        If its an automatic then put some vacuum hose down the spark plug hole and crank the engine over until it compresses it.
        Just to be safe, make sure this cylinder is on compression stroke and the piston is coming up when you feed the hose if you want to go with this route.
        A&P-IA

Comment

Why are you replacing the headgasket?

Comment

Do you think an electric impact would do the trick or does an air impact is require?
            Thanks.

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            There is a special tool to hold the crank pulley while you loosen the bolts

The screw driver in the fly wheel trick doesn't really work

What you're essentially trying to do is keep the motor from turning over.

If you have a manual then put it in gear and hold your foot on the brakes

If its an automatic then put some vacuum hose down the spark plug hole and crank the engine over until it compresses it. Once it does you will be able to break the bolt loose

Also try an impact if you have access to one.

Comment

Im replacing all my gaskets and seals

Comment

Working...
              X