Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Stiff shifting manual tranny in temps < 40F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff shifting manual tranny in temps < 40F

Over the last few winters my 90 accord EX has developed a problem with the manual transmission shifter when the car is cold. The shifter moves easily in the North-South (front-back) direction, but is extremely stiff in the East-West direction. I mean that I have to really lean on the shifter to get it to move. It stays stiff for the first 15-20 minutes of driving, gradually loosening up to normal movement when the car is fully warmed up. After the car is warm the shifter is easy to shift and has not a hint of a problem.

Last winter I drained and refilled the transmission with the newer Honda MTL. It improved the overall performance of the transmission, but had no effect on the cold shift problem.

It kind of feels like a shifter cable problem, but I was hoping to find some other folks talking about this problem (and the solution) on the forums before I pulled it all apart. I have not found anyone describing this same problem.

I live in Atlanta, so this problem only occurs for a few months a year. But I would really like to solve it. Please give me your ideas....

Originally posted by vortex View Post
    Over the last few winters my 90 accord EX has developed a problem with the manual transmission shifter when the car is cold. The shifter moves easily in the North-South (front-back) direction, but is extremely stiff in the East-West direction. I mean that I have to really lean on the shifter to get it to move. It stays stiff for the first 15-20 minutes of driving, gradually loosening up to normal movement when the car is fully warmed up. After the car is warm the shifter is easy to shift and has not a hint of a problem.

Last winter I drained and refilled the transmission with the newer Honda MTL. It improved the overall performance of the transmission, but had no effect on the cold shift problem.

It kind of feels like a shifter cable problem, but I was hoping to find some other folks talking about this problem (and the solution) on the forums before I pulled it all apart. I have not found anyone describing this same problem.

I live in Atlanta, so this problem only occurs for a few months a year. But I would really like to solve it. Please give me your ideas....
    bad shifter cable.or ur cable coating cracked and u got water that is freezing inside the line.

my new turbo build

Comment

Could also be your fluid. Change it for synthetic Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh. They both work very well (many feel the GM fluid works better, actually)

My car was similar when a shop put gear oil (far too thick!) in my transmission.

Comment

Look under hood, find the tranny shift cables (two). Have someone shift car East-West problematic direction, isolate cable that moves in that direction. That is your problem.

End result, you should just replace both, comes as a set. Get new or if on budget, good used from a member/junkyard. If from JY, test in vehicle before removal obviously.

Great job in your question and description, THANK YOU!! Too many do not and still expect help.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

And then you get the guys who somehow miss the whole part about the fluid change already being done... like me.

The fact that it changd as the car warmed up reminded me VERY strongly of my gear oil experience.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            And then you get the guys who somehow miss the whole part about the fluid change already being done... like me.

The fact that it changd as the car warmed up reminded me VERY strongly of my gear oil experience.
            Probably due to you being changed into a Lego Man?
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Yeah, very likely... all that plastic hair reduces brain function!

Comment

i had the same problem on an integra i used to have. everytime i went out to start it in the winter, the shifter would be super stiff. but when i left it and let it run, after it warmed up it was normal. i always thought it was the fluid and i still do being as my integra had a cable clutch and this guys accord has the same issue. my vote is fluid

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to go ahead and plan to swap the cables. Anyone that has done this want to give a quick summary? I don't think the Haynes manual covers this (I know, I know, buy the real Honda shop manual). I really just want to know how much stuff I have to remove to get to get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                  X