Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible future project: Jeep Grand Wagoneer or Volvo 240?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever this happens, the Volvo will probably be the first. I'd like both eventually. The Jeep is valuable, so it would be smart to scoop one up before too long, though. Could be a cool vehicle to drive, and a worthwhile restoration project as the value continues to increase. They already sell for $35,000+ in properly restored condition.

The Volvo means more, though. Both my wife and I have an attachment to the brand, and it presents SO much unique performance potential!

Comment

Old Volvos are still stupid cheap, despite their iconic status. Must be the numbers they were produced in and the stigma old European cars have with the general public. They are quite reliable, and mechanical parts are cheap these days. I have 3 with a total investment of $700.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I occasionally search local (ish) ads for them. I find the best stuff in Charlottesville, VA (where my mother in law lives.) That place is Volvo central! Mostly older-adult owned, and properly maintained.
        It seems that good ones (no rust or major body damage) seem to go for $2500 or so. I've found a handful that were appealing for $1500ish, but no less for anything worthwhile. When the time comes, I'll probably pay $2500-$3500 for a cosmetically clean one. Engine swap time will follow

I'm not sure how much I'll spend on a swap total, but I'm hoping to keep it reasonable. If I can get away with a $10,000 budget for reliable swap making at least 300hp, and a full refresh on everything else (brakes, suspension, etc...) then I think I'll be good.

Comment

Working...
        X